Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello - I have an '03 Accord LX sedan with manual transmission. 120K miles. I have a problem starting the car when it gets below freezing ( anything 28 degrees or so colder ). It's baffling me. I changed the coolant ( using Honda Blue last year 50/50 ) and replaced all hoses. New battery last year and it's fine. The trouble is when I first try to start it, it'll misfire badly, die and throw a P0122 and a P0107 ( TPS and MAP ) - I replaced the MAP with a genuine Honda - still no dice. It runs and starts great as long as it is above 32 degrees. I'm beginning to think it might be the engine coolant temp sensor located on the back of the block. it's a K24. I have not replaced the two radiator sensors since the cooling fans work fine and I don't think the other one is as important as the real ECT. Throttle body is clean , IAT and IACV also replaced earlier. No vaccum leaks. I'ts like something is freezing and the sensor might be telling the ECU it's warm outside thus not producing the correct fuel mixture on cold startup. I have not noticed any reduction in fuel economy though. Any suggestions ?

·
VCM DELETE
946 Posts
I had this same exact issue on my A4, would misfire when cold.
Turned out it was my starter that was bad. (or going bad) eventually it just stopped working alltogether. New starter and problem never came back.

Not saying that is what your issue is, but is that the original starter in it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
BTW- I have done all the usual stuff - new plugs , EGR , PCV etc..etc.... I even inspected and cleaned the wiring and connections using a digital volt meter on the TPS. I cannot reach the ECT sensor on the back of the block easily so that one has not been checked for resistance - maybe it's bad and sending a warm signal to the ECU ? I have a mechanic here that has the fancy 5 thousand dollar scan tool but he's not around when it's 20 degrees to hook it up,

·
VCM DELETE
946 Posts
startor i kinda had a similar issue but me it was when it was very very warm outside.
basically extreme temperature. i went on a month with engine gag until startor went out completely.
I would take a look at your starter. If that is OEM starter its 18 year old, way past its useful life.
Sometimes, its what you least expect. ( I know in my case it was)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No disrespect to anyone's suggestions and they are appreciated- starter is duly noted as a possibility. I ask for another possible cause since the car will always start. Once it's running it chokes and gags as if the air / fuel mixture is wrong. I struggle to keep it running. Again - only in very cold temperatures. Thanks !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts