Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I bought a 2003 Honda accord coupe ex and I want to upgrade the music sound, nothing crazy its my first car I don't have much money to spend, I just want to upgrade the sound system, I make hip hop beats and a lot of bass is involved I like to hear the bass clearly without vibrations of the trunk or any distortion.I did detail the car myself and painted the stock rims flat black, not going to lower it, not going to put lips or anything, just the sound I want improved. I was planning on installing a pioneer DEH-3300HD in the cubby hole but I don't want to lose steering wheel controls. Also the idea of an Amp terrifies me just because I don't know how to assemble all the cables. Can anyone advice me in what speakers get and how to install them? Anyone that owns one of these cars? It would be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Alright, so you have a few options here.

You want to keep it in the bottom pocket, cool! Thats the option I went with. It's also about $200 cheaper than replacing the stock radio with it.

So on the subject of replacing the radio, you have a lot of choices. You have already picked out a Pioneer one you like and it looks good to me. Note you will have to buy a ~$50 adapter and splice in to the original wiring for your steering wheel controls to work. There is no harness that includes wiring for the steering wheel controls.

It is kind of difficult to get the pocket out, it uses some clips that are pretty hard to get out. Other than those clips it's basically 6 screws and some pulling.

Other than that I'd recommend replacing the rear 6x9 speakers for some midbass or of course a sub or two for your low, low bass.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did take out the whole thing, only to clean it completely as the borders were dirty and I dont like to see my car dirty, it was very easy for me. The harness for the pioneer plus the harness to keep the audio controls are in the $80s so I know that is not an option, I saw a post about a guy with the same car who did the setup without aftermarket radios, just speakers, looking stock, but he did not tell me what speakers or how he did it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you know if I have to connect he steering wheel control radio harness to the pioneer or to the cables connecting the pioneer with the car? I am so new to this I do not know how anything works. sorry for so many questions though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Do you know if I have to connect he steering wheel control radio harness to the pioneer or to the cables connecting the pioneer with the car? I am so new to this I do not know how anything works. sorry for so many questions though.
No worries, the more questions the less chance you eff something up :)

I have never seen a SWC harness, I've only seen the Metra SWC control that requires you tapping in to the original cables. Do you have a link to this harness?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No worries, the more questions the less chance you eff something up

I have never seen a SWC harness, I've only seen the Metra SWC control that requires you tapping in to the original cables. Do you have a link to this harness?
the only cable Ive seen is the metra one and other cable Axxess ASWC. But that's not an option.. For now. In the mean time I just want to change the door and rear deck speakers so I can get more clean sound.. Im thinking about 3ways 6x9 in the back.. And 2way 6½ in the doors.. Do you know any that can get replaced and be okay without an amp and not explode (lol) ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Alright some months have passed and since I did not get the answer I was looking for, I had to go into the unknown and (FORNICATION) up many things in the process. First I boght a GTA car kit for ipod and aux suport and I was happy with it for about a month, there was a small statix noise usig the ipod that I could not bear.. I returned the kit and.. Currently my car has a pioneer mvh-560BT where the cubby hole used to be.. Bought the metra kit from amazon which came with the T harness to keep the light on the original radio( which burned lol). I also bought 2 rockford fosgate r1 6.5 for the front.. And 2 Rockford r1 6x9 for the back. Along with a rockford punch 400x1 amp and a rockford r1 2x12 400 watts rms sub enclosure.. My advice for someone like me who wanted to keep the stock look, it is not worth it, it may look a little bit better but thats about it.. Also get everything from amazon lol.. Create an account so yoy can get the prime free trial for a month like I did, then order everything within that month. If someone needs any help taking off the covers or the front door panels please let me know. I also replaced both door actuators and both window regulators. Taking the whole door apart is actually quite easy once you get used to it. Wrapped a few interior pieces in satin black vinyl too, a heatgun is not necessary but it helped me in some spots. Currently thinking about whether wrap the door silver trim or not in satin black. Full led conversion both interior and exterior. Again if someone needa any help or pics, or just info in general im more than glad to help.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh and im currently learning English so if I wrote anything wrong blame it on professor Grant lol.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
Nice work....I've had a relative and 2 friends with fried out 7th Gen radio head units. The cousin stuck with a stock replacement from www.car-parts, one friend added an iPod adapter, and the other friend did what you did. All three are happy with their decision.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All three are happy with their decision.
I did not mean to say that one would not be comfortable with an adapter, is just that for the hassle and the cost is better to go full and get the best audio quality.. I just adviced that If youre going to spend $90 on an aux/ipod kit might as well just buy a pioneer mvh380 from amazon for $70 and the metra kit for $20. Im about to buy a punch 400x4 for the speakers and replace the R1 2X12 (400 watt rms, sealed) for a P1 2X10 (500 watt rms, ported) to compensate for the increment in voice sound. Currently getting clipped bass at volume 50, but you actually start hearing the distortion at 55.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I was messing around and I just found out that if your aftermarket coaxials have tweeters in the front and back you get *cleaner* sound disconnecting the factory tweeters located on the dashboard.. I tested each side using the balance/fader function.. .cancelling the other speakers so I could hear the difference.. There is what I believe a negative outcome though. Depending if you have an amp for the front speakers or they are connected to your radio, you may lose some high output due to less tweeters playing highs.. But I figure this: the power that was going to the factory tweeters now its going to the ones on the coaxials.. At the end of the day my music is much clearer and I can turn it up all the way to 55 no distortion on the coaxials.. I prefer better sound than more sound anytime. Quality over quantity.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a warning, the speaker leads in the doors are short as hell. You'll hither have to be real precise and patient with your tools of choice, or get some oem socket adapters.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a warning, the speaker leads in the doors are short as hell. You'll hither have to be real precise and patient with your tools of choice, or get some oem socket adapters.
I did not have a problem with the door wires, the r1 came with additional speaker wire so that was an easy thing. You wont believe me but I did not use any brackets and the speakers fitted perfectly. Had to drill 2 screws into the door chassis though. I destroyed the oem paper speakers and made enough space for the rockfords to fit. Also had to cut a small portion of the inside panel where the speaker meets the grill.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you are not looking for extra functionality such as bluetooth, MicroSD, USB, Navi, etc. and are ok with stock radio functions and just want better sound, I would suggest just speaker replacement and if affordable an amp and subs. In my '06 I installed Sony Xplod 4-way as replacements for the factory speakers. I installed a 10 inch powered bass tube. It had great sound from that.

I wanted more functionality, so I installed an OttoNavi OEM fitment 8 inch touchcreen with Navi. It cost about $450 for the dual climate control unit and had all the needed adapters already included - including steering wheel controls. The only funky part was the bottom shape did not work right with my under stereo pocket, so I removed the door and used just the open pocket. OttoNavi sells a pocket replacement, but it basically is just a smaller open pocket with a border (not worth it in my opinion).

There are videos on youtube for 03-07 accords for speaker replacement and installation of kits and units like the OttoNavi.

Only thing I did not see was someone warning you about the front speaker clips. After you get the door panel popped, you just use a flathead screwdriver or other sturdy wedge to push down the clip, slightly pull the clip out, then lift the unit directly up. Otherwise, you will break the 2 bottoms clips. You can reuse the speaker housing by tearing out the speaker and clipping all the plastic bars on the backside to fit the new speaker into it and screw it to the factory housing. That way you can just re-clip the speaker in and not have to drill holes in the metal of the door.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
drill holes in the metal of the door.
Wow this was the answer I wanted back in September, I already did all those things except I completely destroyed the old speakers and just left the circular wall to mount the 6.5 and drilled 2 screws right into the door's metal:|. But its fine, it might even prevent any rattle at all lol. Currently getting 103 db at volume 55 from the 4 speakers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wow this was the answer I wanted back in September, I already did all those things except I completely destroyed the old speakers and just left the circular wall to mount the 6.5 and drilled 2 screws right into the door's metal:|. But its fine, it might even prevent any rattle at all lol. Currently getting 103 db at volume 55 from the 4 speakers.
Well, do not feel bad. I made a similar mistake on the driver side door. I broke the lower clips. When I saw how it clipped in I did a facepalm. The passenger came out like a champ and was able to just clip back in.

The broken one, I used a mirror and my extendable magnet with gum on it to fish it out of the door. I used plastic solder to reattach the broken clips and it worked like a champ after.

I also put 3M adhesive tape on the sides of the speaker housings before clipping them in. That way it would keep anything from rattling, despite the tight fitting of the clips.

We live and learn. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I broke the lower clips.
We live and learn. :)
I honestly have no idea what clips you are talking about, I just smashed right thru the paper speakers and just left the circular wall to mount the new ones lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts