Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo I'm looking into accords but I don't know what's faster to get a K24 or a J30. Also if you know the stock 0-60 time for accords for these engines let me know thanks.

·
Reverse Gear
1,000 Posts
Yo I'm looking into accords but I don't know what's faster to get a K24 or a J30. Also if you know the stock 0-60 time for accords for these engines let me know thanks.
Coupe or Sedan, Auto or Manual?

My guess is Auto 4 cyl: 8.0 sec 0-60
Manual 4 cyl: 7.5 sec 0-60
Auto 6 cyl: 6.7 sec 0-60
Manual 6 cyl: 6.0 sec 0-60

These numbers should be correct +/- 5%.

* FYI a V6 engine is called a "V" 6 because there are two banks of 3 cylinders each attached at the crankshaft in the shape of a "V"

The honda 4 cylinder - is 1 bank of 4 cylinders - commonly referred to as an "I" 4.

In the early 1970's, Saab actually did make a "V"4, which was two banks of two cylinders each, attached at the crankshaft in (you guessed it) the shape of a "V".

Reactions: salcuta

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
The V6 manual is the fastest I believe. For 2003, a sedan V6 is only available in an auto, which I would recommend avoiding due to transmission failures.

However, the K24 4 still has good power, especially with the 5spd. For a sedan 03, I'd recommend k24 5spd, or coupe v6 6spd.

Either way, you need to test drive both IMO.

·
Registered
142 Posts
After having both...the 4 is a pig below 2500.

GET THE 6

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
if you're concerned with 0-60 times the accord isn't for you.

Reactions: cotttn

·
Don't drink and drive
5,162 Posts
Let me know if you ever find a V4 :D

I4 = 4cyl (in line, forming an "I")
V6=6cyl (3x3 mirror image, forming a "V")

I4 - gas saver, good power

V6 - less MPG, more power

Choose your pick.

·
Registered
347 Posts
i4 5spd is the most economical and reliable option in coupe or sedan. not a super car, but faster than most of the other cars. its a 2.4L, so a big 4 cyl.
in addition I4's are all timing chain, so does not require maintenance.
any year is good 2003-2007

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I4 is WAY easier to maintain, (no timing belt to replace) and easier in general to work on.
AND it doesn't chew through transmissions like the V6 likes to do.

The I4 isn't exactly underpowered either.

I4 all the way.

Reactions: carguy1234

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
No V4 for this model. I love my I4 5spd, although I haven't driven any v6. It's faster than a Civic of the same generation. I do agree, it is a little sluggish below 2500rpms, but is fine for highway cruising IMO.

Do keep in mind, that while the 4cyl's do have a timing chain, make sure the oil was changed regularly and it wasn't run low, because this can cause the chain to stretch, needing an expensive repair.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
No V4 for this model. I love my I4 5spd, although I haven't driven any v6. It's faster than a Civic of the same generation. I do agree, it is a little sluggish below 2500rpms, but is fine for highway cruising IMO.

Do keep in mind, that while the 4cyl's do have a timing chain, make sure the oil was changed regularly and it wasn't run low, because this can cause the chain to stretch, needing an expensive repair.
Yep I always keep the oil .5 of a quart above the full mark. No problems.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
V6 - known for more Transmission problems in Auto.

if you plan to mod it performance wise, V6 is the way to go

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
V6 - known for more Transmission problems in Auto.

if you plan to mod it performance wise, V6 is the way to go
v6 is good for power no doubt, but what good is it if you're beating on a knowingly weak transmission?

if you want a race car then buy a race car.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
v6 is good for power no doubt, but what good is it if you're beating on a knowingly weak transmission?

I wouldn't buy a V6 auto unless it was an 06 or newer. I believe they worked out most of the issues later on.

·
Registered
101 Posts

You're not if you get a 6spd

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
You're not if you get a 6spd
this, if you've never driven a 6 speed, its loads better than a 5 spd. and those that argue why, it just is overall a better more in tuned driving experience

6 speeds are rare to begin with too

i agree that if i were to go back in time, i wouldn't buy a Auto unless it had super low miles so i could make sure i did EVERYTHING to prolong the transmission but to lose the amount of Horsepower you would from driving a non V6, sometimes guys have dropped lots and lots of money on Forced Induction just to get normally aspirated V6 numbers

its all about what your looking for long term. dropping thousands on Forced Induction on non V6 can be fun and probably even better than a OEM V6 Auto but to think a V6 w/a couple bolt ons would probably beat most FI non V6s is something i would take into consideration

·
Roll Tide!
7,678 Posts
BS! You REALLY need to read more than three posts on a forum and comprehend what you have read before you go regurgitating all over the place. I've owned mine for 7 years now and have not had one hiccup from the AT. :x

·
03-SSM-AV6-6MT
1,018 Posts
V6 6mt

1 - 20 of 24 Posts