Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue with a family member's car.

The car has trouble starting and when it does start it sputters and dies unless you give it gas. Is there a way I can pull the codes without using a scanner? The car isn't driveable to the nearest shop (out in BFE) I suspect running with only one muffler may have contributed to this. Car is very neglected.

Here's how some of the plugs looked like:

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
1) Even if you are in BFE- there has GOT to be an Advanced Auto, Pep Boys, or Autozone near you. They will pull codes for free. OR, you can buy one on Amazon or eBay for $15.

2) You did not state any info about your car. How many miles, etc? Do all plugs look the same? How many miles are on those plugs? 15,000? 165,000? How long have you had it? Do you live in Canada or Puerto Rico?

3) How is the air filter? How old is the gasoline? Did you clean your MAF sensor?

ANY info would be helpful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nearest Autozone is 15 miles away. I just happen to be driving home from Houston to my parent's place which is 2.5 hrs away and was asked to check out the car. Didn't have enough time and the mosquitos were in swarms.

Motor oil looked good, transmission fluid was low and needs to be flushed, and I was only able to access the front 3 plugs which you see in the picture posted above. Air filter could use replacing as well. I don't know the mileage of the vehicle since I didn't check but will call to ask. Fuel is fresh and new.

I'm back in Houston now and had a guy come out and check the car out. He said he started it and runs fine with no problems. Has me stumped now. So hopefully, it continues running like it should so the car can be driven to a shop to have it diagnosed and repaired properly.

·
Super Moderator
6,662 Posts
Vacuum leak.

The first place to start is to check for ripped rubber on the intake hose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts