Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up the knuckle with complete assembly off an 03 EX(I have an 03 lx). Do I need the proportioning valve or no? Also anything else I need to know about this? I've read the guide. Looks pretty straightforward just hook eveything up bleed the system and your good to go.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
You need a proportioning Valve out of some Honda models that did not have ABS. Also, you need the emergency brake cables from the donor car.

Here is a good video on how to do this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Where did you read the guide? I am thinking about doing this on my 04 LX and we could swap notes. I think you will need the proportioning valve

I think that video is an older gen

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where did you read the guide? I am thinking about doing this on my 04 LX and we could swap notes. I think you will need the proportioning valve

I think that video is an older gen
It is.. from what I can tell from diagrams and advice from my good mechanic friend who has never steered me wrong it's not needed.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
I'm my opinion it is needed as the fluid required for rear drums is more than discs. So the rear brakes would have a higher bias without changing the proportion valve. That means in a panic situation the rear brakes would lock up before the fronts, which could be an issue. The DX and LX models with drum brakes do not have ABS.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
The main reason you want to replace the proportioning Valve is to get rid of the metering valve from the brake system. The metering valve holds off pressure to the front brakes, that is so the car does not nose dive as drum brakes take longer to apply.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The main reason you want to replace the proportioning Valve is to get rid of the metering valve from the brake system. The metering valve holds off pressure to the front brakes, that is so the car does not nose dive as drum brakes take longer to apply.

I gotcha, my mechanic friend sort of said the same thing..I did the swap yesterday and everything works. Basically said go find a 4 lane street and hit the brakes so the and engage and see if it works.. pretty easy other than I busted a sway link but luckily had some on hand. Everything matched other than the placement of the ebrake under the car mounts.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Why would you want to swap? The LX stops just as well as the EX, and drum brakes are way less work to maintain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Because I wanted to ? Also ive rebuilt drums once... That was a pain in the ass.. I rather do a disc brake job any day...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts