Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... just wondering if anyone on here has seen a recurring problem with this... or has any idea what it may be.... While at idle... my car has kind of a shimmy or vibration from the motor while at idle and in park. Its not like a constant vibration... but like every couple seconds i feel it... then it stops for a second... snd starts again... No A/C on or air... no radio and no lights... nothing but engine running.... anyone know if cleaning any sensors or doing anything in particular would fix this problem?? Any help would be great. Thanks.

by the way... the car has 81,xxx miles on it

·
2006 Accord 2DR EX-L
41 Posts
dude....finally someone knows what im going thru!!! lol i have the 05 v6 and i freaking hate that stupid vibration..lol it doesnt seem like its affecting anything because it like it comes and goes only when im parked and idiling.... almost in rythim but its sooo annyoing dude ive asked the sservice department 600 times about this and they always say..its common for the car...but dude tell me if you find out how to correct this.. i bet you its something stupid like cleaning something..:banana:

·
6 with a 6 built in 06...
61 Posts
Between the ac turning itself on and off because of the climate control and the alternator's programming to turn itself on and off maintaining the battery, who knows what's going with the idle... I have the same issue.
Have you tried changing/looking at the plugs? My car has 60k on it and I think the plugs are 100kers, but it couldn't hurt.:dunno:

·
V6 Slingshot Engaged!!
519 Posts
In my 05 v6 coupe, I had a awful rough idle about a year ago. The dealer replaced the motor mounts, stating they were bad. Well, it still did it. After they had it for two weeks while I was out of the country, they figured out they overfilled it with oil and the sensors were all going insane.. causing the rough idle. I doubt this is your issue, but it sure made me angry. How they overfilled it that much makes me wonder what they are doing back there! :paranoid:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dude....finally someone knows what im going thru!!! lol i have the 05 v6 and i freaking hate that stupid vibration..lol it doesnt seem like its affecting anything because it like it comes and goes only when im parked and idiling.... almost in rythim but its sooo annyoing dude ive asked the sservice department 600 times about this and they always say..its common for the car...but dude tell me if you find out how to correct this.. i bet you its something stupid like cleaning something..:banana:
Exactly... a rythmatic vibration... definitely the best way to put it... and yes sitting in park at idle.... comes for a second then goes for a second.... and NO AIR OR ACCESSORIES ARE ON... NONE... NOTHING.... and im not too sure about the plugs... but im assuming since the driveability is fine... then so are the plugs.... anyone else have any input on this one? Or any experience of how to eliminate this annoying ass vibration?

·
Super Moderator
4,390 Posts
sounds like a motor mount or vacuum problem to the dual mode mounts.
If the vacuum is switched on and off the mount go from firm/soft/firm/soft and I'm sure you'll feel it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Between the ac turning itself on and off because of the climate control and the alternator's programming to turn itself on and off maintaining the battery, who knows what's going with the idle... I have the same issue.
Have you tried changing/looking at the plugs? My car has 60k on it and I think the plugs are 100kers, but it couldn't hurt.:dunno:
Same thing with my 6-6 Sedan. The issue seemed more pronounced when I bought the car at 32K miles. Either I've gotten used to it or its much better than it used to be but I don't notice it nearly as much anymore. I'm beginning to think it's probably a widespread issue (if it actually is an issue).

-Wes

·
Registered
242 Posts
if its a vacumm problem, how do we fix it ?? or how do i tell the service dept to properly diagnose it..???:banana:
Even I have this issue on my 2000 Accord. Honda dealer replaced the motor mounts last week and this vibration starts. It increases when I turn on the AC. It is annoying and I have tried explaining dumb Honda techs where to look and they seem they have no clue. :thumbsdow

Fred, what is that specific term we need to ask them to check, or can we check it ourselves and fix it. I know I don't have to change the mounts since they are brand new, but may be they havn't tightened the nuts properly or something.

·
Banned
6,435 Posts
Which mounts are your dealers replacing? There are 3 or 4 if I'm not mistaken. (The fourth serves as a trans mount I believe).

Our TL had vibration problems and the only resolve was to replace the rear mount. Most people don't do the rears because they are more time consuming and costly. $$$

My 99 Accord is the same way, getting worse over time. I've replaced all the mounts except for the trans and rear mount, and it has done very little for me. The resolve will be replacing the rear which accoring to the dealership requires removal of the transmission.

Word to the wise, if your tranny ever goes out, go ahead and replace any mounts associated with that area while it's already out. Wish mine had been done at 95k when the trans went bad and was replaced.

Anyways, our TL has had all the mounts + the trans mount replaced under Acuracare and it was a night and day difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2002 Accord, Had the same idle vib and it only happened every now and then. I had NGK Iridium spark plugs in my car. Changed to Denso platinum plugs and the vib stopped.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,421 Posts
I have an 03 it had the same problem I took it to the dealer and they told me there was a recall on engine mounts, was replaced and no more vibrations!
I don't think it was a recall (motor mounts are not a safety issue), it was just a TSB. The engine mount TSB was for the I4 Accord anyway, and they are talking about V6 engines here.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes V6.... its a pretty suttle vibration... but its still a vibration none the less.... and is quite annoying.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Add my 2004 Accord V6 to the list also. I also have what seems to be a more pronounced vibration at around 1400 rpms when cruising along easy on the gas. It sounds like when driving a stick improperly and shifting rom 1st to 3rd or something like that. I changed the tranny fluid with Honda ATF and it seemed to get a little better but it still noticeable. I never thought these two issues could be related but motor mounts would make sense. Anyone think motor mounts are covered under the 100,000mile powertrain certified used warranty? I have 82,000miles now.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would check the exhaust to here if its sounds all right because i noticed a slight variable vibration when i sit idle and so i went to listen to the engine and exhaust and the exhaust note was corresponding to the engine vibrations, making a slight backfiring or slugging noise

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would check the exhaust to here if its sounds all right because i noticed a slight variable vibration when i sit idle and so i went to listen to the engine and exhaust and the exhaust note was corresponding to the engine vibrations, making a slight backfiring or slugging noise
Has any one had their vibration problem fixed under this particular TSB? It seems to apply to vibrations that may be caused by various driving circumstances including idling.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I have the I4 engine on my 03, but I was just wondering if the vibration stopped when you guys popped it into neutral. that's what ive been doing at red lights and it usually works.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the I4 engine on my 03, but I was just wondering if the vibration stopped when you guys popped it into neutral. that's what ive been doing at red lights and it usually works.
My engine is also an I4 and it's much smoother when put into park or neutral.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts