Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. My apologies if this has been brought up before. I wasn't able to find anything whatsoever elsewhere and thought this would be the best bet.

Prior to today (Friday), my power locks would not work in my 2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX (2.4L). I bought two new actuators online and decided to install them myself. After a few hours, both were installed and everything was working fine (or so I believed). I got in the car about an hour after I installed everything. I went to get out of the car and was not able to from the driver's side. I opened the window and opened the door that way. When I went back to the car, I was unable to get in the car at all (doors seemed unlocked). I had to go through the window. I cannot open the doors (either) from the inside or outside. It seems that the door latch is stuck in the down (locked) position. I am unable to unlock the drivers side door by the key.

Can anyone help me on fixing this problem or point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
James

2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX 2.4L

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
3,499 Posts
When you took apart the latch mechanism to replace the actuator, you put it together wrong. Pull the latch mechanism out of the door and look at it carefully. The part with the cable attached must go under the metal bar that activates the latch to open the door. When you look at the latch mechanism, you will probably see that part is above the metal bar, not below. You should be able to pull gently on the cable to activate the latch to make sure it is put together properly. When you pull on the cable, the metal bar will raise up to release the latch when it is put together the correct way. If you are holding the driver door latch in your hand, and the cable is on the right side, the cable mechanism must be all the way to the left when you put it back together. When you put it back together, the cable was most likely pulled to the right. The interior door handle would then do nothing because the cable is not pulling the mechanism to open the door. The outer handle works because that is a separate mechanism.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts