Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Accord V6 EX Coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new here, first post...

03 V6 AT, 130K. im the second owner (the first was my mother) this car has been meticulously maintained at the dealership cause that's the kinda guy my dad is and its been babied and garaged kept its whole life until it was given to me. I know these trannys have issues, nothing major with mine yet but it does drop out of gear when coming to a stop sometimes so it'll feel like its in neutral when I get back on the gas so I have to stop, shift into N, then back to D and its fine, this happens about twice a month and its daily driven to work. basically Ive read enough to know whats coming and id like to be proactive before it strands me somewhere so....what are my options? id love a manual trans swap but honestly I don't wanna spend the money and id rather it be stock anyway. if I have it rebuilt is there a kit out there that has everything the shop will need? Are there part or kits that will make it stronger and less prone to the issues they have from the factory? I've seen a lot of people recommend a trans cooler but besides that im kinda lost here. any help would be appreciated, thanks

Shawn

·
Montana, USA
2007 Accord SE, I-4 automatic
3,828 Posts
#1 on your list should be a transmisson cooler:

·
Don't drink and drive
5,170 Posts
Has this transmission had its fluid and pressure switches changed?

·
Registered
2003 Accord V6 EX Coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
#1 on your list should be a transmisson cooler:

thanks for link

Has this transmission had its fluid and pressure switches changed?
Ill have to check the service records, is that something that's on the service schedule?

·
Registered
14,407 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Accord V6 EX Coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gotcha, ill still have to check the service records but if its in the manual it was done whenever Honda said it should be, like I said this was my mothers car and I just got it since she doesn't drive anymore so I really don't know much except that there is a 3" binder that all the service records from the day it was purchased

do you think the pressure and fluid switches could be cause the issue I described in the first post?

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
gotcha, ill still have to check the service records but if its in the manual it was done whenever Honda said it should be, like I said this was my mothers car and I just got it since she doesn't drive anymore so I really don't know much except that there is a 3" binder that all the service records from the day it was purchased

do you think the pressure and fluid switches could be cause the issue I described in the first post?
Any chance you could upload all of the service records in chronological order so we can see when the ATF and (if) the pressure switches were changed?

·
Registered
2003 Accord V6 EX Coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually just got off the phone with dealer where its been serviced its whole life and according to their records the fluid and pressure switches have never been done so it looks like im gonna start there

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
A 2003 V6 with automatic transmission, never had fluid changed, no pressure switches touched....

Pull the ATF dipstick and check fluid level after finding procedure in your manual to determine ATF level. Then wipe it on a white paper towel. Is it red, pink, or brown? Was the level between low and high marks?

I don't want to give you false hope here....I will also ask @t-rd to see this thread. Would be interesting to see his thoughts and recommendations.

Good for checking with the dealer- but still, go through your receipts and see if there was a billing for ATF change. You were certain that it was done, dealer said "no". What do the receipts say?

·
Registered
2003 Accord V6 EX Coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok ill have to check when I get home, I just had the ATF changed a couple weeks ago, im sorry I misunderstood your first question. When I got it I had the dealership where I live change the oil, ATF, diff fluid, all the filters, etc, standard stuff but yes, im still not sure about the pressure switches

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'd run to Wal-Mart and buy three 1 gallon jugs of Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF. Drain fill and drive a few miles in between. That old non synthetic Z-1 and/or DW-1 mix is gumming up the inside of the transmission. The full synthetic ML in time will penetrate all the places fluid should be. Your transmission should be fine. No major tear down or repair needed.

Reactions: slimm1469

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Read here about the pressure switches, oem is the best but another poster has had good luck with the "sins" brand from Amazon. The above post is good advice - Index Page

·
Super Moderator
6,553 Posts
If the trans fluid had never been changed and you just had Honda change it, they 99% did just 1 single drain and fill. That fluid is still most likely brown. Change the fluid at least 2 more times before you do anything else. Disconnect battery's negative terminal for a few minutes to reset the TCM inside the ECU, reconnect, and try driving again.

DW-1 fluid is synthetic by the way. Z-1 had not been available since the year 2007 and I doubt it was still present in his trans.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
There was a member here long ago that did burnouts with his 03 V6 auto. I thnk you'll be fine.

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
When I got it I had the dealership where I live change the oil, ATF, diff fluid, all the filters, etc, standard stuff
"diff fluid"?

"Standard stuff"?

Are you sure you own an Accord?

·
Registered
103 Posts
If the trans fluid had never been changed and you just had Honda change it, they 99% did just 1 single drain and fill. That fluid is still most likely brown. Change the fluid at least 2 more times before you do anything else. Disconnect battery's negative terminal for a few minutes to reset the TCM inside the ECU, reconnect, and try driving again.

DW-1 fluid is synthetic by the way. Z-1 had not been available since the year 2007 and I doubt it was still present in his trans.
I hate to tell you but DW-1 is petroleum based. Not full synthetic.
(Dinosaur Oil)

It works just fine when it's kept fresh. But just like all dinosaur oil products, they don't work well with age and heat. In this case, where it's set up for years, the only hope to clean it out is to go full synthetic.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
DW-1 is dino semi-syn. here in the USA, dino full-syn. in Canada but neither of the 2 are real synthetic.

·
Super Moderator
6,553 Posts
You got me. Thanks for the clarification.

I wouldn't recommend him putting in g maxlife full syn right now anyway, it would shock the transmission. The maxlife makes the trans shift rather hard.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You got me. Thanks for the clarification.

I wouldn't recommend him putting in g maxlife full syn right now anyway, it would shock the transmission. The maxlife makes the trans shift rather hard.
Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife has saved me money, not just in the price per quart, but $1,000s in transmission repairs. It does what it says on the back of the bottle.
It makes for a firmer clean shift ending slipping and judder. I have less metallic particles on my magnet than when on DW-1.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts