Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
I have a 2003 v6 accord with the automatic. It flairs between the 2 and 3 shift. Lets go of second, revs increase by 500 then it grabs 3rd often hard. Car has 145km on it. I have changed the fluid and filter. Replaced the 3rd and 4th pressure switches with no difference. I don't know how long it has been doing this as I just got the car from my parents. I also checked the screens on the linear block - they were clean. Not a lot of crud on the drain bolt. The filter was dark but not covered in anything. The fluid was pink and does not appear to be burnt. It the tranny toast? Anything else I should do?
Thanks

·
Wave Interference
189 Posts
2/3 flaring isn't a good sign, especially given the attention you have apparently given it. If you have changed the fluid, then I will presume that the fluid level is where it should be and the fluid used was Honda DW1.

See if you can pull any codes just in case, but I will say the V6 AT's on this generation are delicate, and the most problem prone seem to be the 03's and 04's.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,724 Posts
Some of them fail, and some don't. Luck of the draw to some extent I suppose. Usually, once the transmission starts slipping, it's too late to save it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi Folks,
I have a 2003 v6 accord with the automatic. It flairs between the 2 and 3 shift. Lets go of second, revs increase by 500 then it grabs 3rd often hard. Car has 145km on it. I have changed the fluid and filter. Replaced the 3rd and 4th pressure switches with no difference. I don't know how long it has been doing this as I just got the car from my parents. I also checked the screens on the linear block - they were clean. Not a lot of crud on the drain bolt. The filter was dark but not covered in anything. The fluid was pink and does not appear to be burnt. It the tranny toast? Anything else I should do?
Thanks
Probably should check with your parents on how they maintained the car. This model year had a transmission recall in the first year. If it was recalled, the dealer would install a oil jet kit to lubricate the 2nd gear to prevent premature wear. If the AT has been serviced properly every 30K, it is just simply bad luck that it starts to fail this early. I think you'd done all you could at this stage. It is possible that the AT wears early because the ATF did not get changed frequently enough or low at some point in time.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
3,496 Posts
Welcome to the transmission-failure club! Once the transmission starts slipping, you are done. The transmission is shot and needs to be replaced, along with the torque converter. As BLCKFLSH said, some fail, some don't. Once they start slipping, you can't do anything to save it. Mine failed after 5 years at 52,000 miles, with all the regular maintenance done. Mine was also an '03 V6. Honda replaced mine for free because of the low miles and age of the car. At 10 years old and your mileage, Honda won't be able to help you out.

The oil-jet kit recall had nothing to do with the transmission failure because they still failed. Honda installed the oil-jet kit in my car at 7,000 miles and it failed 4 years after that with proper maintenance. The transmissions were poorly matched for the V6. Some get lucky with no problems, and many others with an '03 end up with a transmission that fails. You can either trade it in and get another car, or find a good independent shop to replace the transmission.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mine was an '04 V6 with around 80k when it failed. Needless to same it's the last Honda I'm buying mainly because Honda knew it was a factory defect and refused to own up to it. Honda of America only added salt to the wound when dealing with them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
mine is a 03 accord v6, tranny still like new at 131K. i use amsoil syn and change it every 15k-20k.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update - the flare got rapidly worse. Transmission shop is rebuilding it right now. Transmission was maintained per service schedule. Guy at the transmission shop said the rebuild will last if the oil and filter are changed frequently. They are also going to put a cooler on it.

·
Wave Interference
189 Posts
Sorry to hear the rebuild was needed - but at least it'll be done and fixed. I just wanted to remark on one thing you said - about maintaining per service schedule.

IMO, the tranny service intervals recommended by Honda are far too long. I suspect it's just a way of making it sound like a lower maintenance item than it really is.

I do a 2X drain and fill with DW-1 fluid once per year, regardless of how nice the fluid looks. It's an easy and inexpensive way of reducing the likelihood of future failure.

·
Banned
13,097 Posts
Ryan speaks (actually writes) the truth. I learned a lot on this forum about transmission maintenance, mostly from Mike W, and have gone to a different schedule than what Honda recommends on the transmission fluid. Even though I have the 4 cylinder, I want to make the transmission last.

Doing 3 "drain and fills" gives you 82% new fluid, and leaves you with 18% old fluid. After the 3 D&F's this spring my trans shifted so smoothly you would have thought it was a CVT- no jokes!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.