Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
03 EX V6, and 6 others
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the engine out to replace the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump. All this was done today in about an hour and a half.

Is there anything else I should check or do before putting the engine and transmission back in? I've heard about cleaning the TB, and MAF sensors (haven't looked to see what I have yet). This car did have issues with low idle before the transmission went out, would cleaning everything help this?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Rear main seal? I always hear people do that when they have the transmission off.
I agree, replace the rear main seal as well as the oil pan gasket. While you are at it adjust the valves and replace the valve cover gaskets. With the engine out the spark plugs will be easy too.

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
Plugs since rear ones are a pain to get to, valve cover gaskets.

·
03 EX V6, and 6 others
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did the plugs a little over 10k ago. But everything else sounds good, especially the valve adjustment. I read somewhere that adjusting them is rough, but shouldn't be too bad out of the car.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
328 Posts
^Yes, adjusting the valves will be much easier on your back when the engine is out of the car.

Also, pull off the primary cats and inspect the substrate. If any of it is clogged or cracked, you need to replace it; use new gaskets for all of the exhaust parts that you removed. I would also remove the O2 sensors and put a little anti-seize on the threads in case you have to remove them in the future. Don't get anti-seize on the O2 element itself.

And, unplug and plug every sensor one at a time. If you have to do any work in the future, you won't have to mess with something that hasn't moved in 10 years. I don't know if dielectric grease can be used or not. If so, use sparingly.

Have you done a compression test yet? I think you're supposed to do it on a HOT engine, but it might be interesting to see the results while it's on a stand. I imagine you can use an impact to spin it over after you remove all of the plugs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts