Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
'03 V6 EX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hood struts are shot, and I don't really like the idea of putting in new ones which could wear out again. (Also, I'm a cheapskate.)

Has anyone out there put in a prop rod? Is this even possible?

·
Registered
575 Posts
The 4-cyl Accords all have prop rods. It might be possible, you just need to see if your V6 has the mounting point on the left for the prop rod (and the hole in the hood for putting the prop rod into)

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
The hood struts are not cheap, but I spent the $65 because the prop rods always seem to get in the way.

·
05 Accord Sedan LX I4 5MT
7 Posts
My hood struts are shot, and I don't really like the idea of putting in new ones which could wear out again. (Also, I'm a cheapskate.)

Has anyone out there put in a prop rod? Is this even possible?
The "mounting point" is a simple hole with a grommet (91604-SD2-013), So should be a simple matter of drilling a hole.

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
838 Posts
Doesn't even need to be a 2x4. A piece of 1x1 will do just fine, and only cost about 60 cents. Paint to match the car.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Use your head ....literally that what I do when I'm just checking fuild levels and a pair of locking pliers if I gotta do some work.:thmsup:

·
'03 V6 EX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Use your head ....literally that what I do when I'm just checking fuild levels and a pair of locking pliers if I gotta do some work.:thmsup:
I used my head to change a headlight the other day. It wasn't pleasant.

Thanks all. I'll probably end up replacing the struts once spring arrives. Until then, broomstick it is.

·
Carpe Diem
2,566 Posts
Aftermarket hood struts are around $30 bucks on ebay. The aftermarket pair I have installed now has so far lasted longer than the oem hood struts did. Swapping them out is extremely easy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts