Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Rush fan
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 accord LX 4 cyl. Automatic

My car wouldn't start this morning. I assumed the battery is dead so I tried to jump start it with my parent's suv and it still wouldn't start. There is just one faint click, no cranking at all. It cranked a tiny bit the first time I turned the key, but only a faint click every other time. We tried 2 different sets of cables and made sure there was a good connection.

Now, I also tried starting it with a jump starter which still had a good amount of charge left in it and still nothing but a faint click. I also made sure there was a good cable connection.

We also got out a charger/battery tester and according to the meter there is nothing wrong with my battery. It says it still has plenty of power. Also, everything electrical in the car works (radio, lights), so the battery connection should be ok.

For a couple months now the car has had problems starting, and they had been getting worse as time went by. I assumed it just needed a new battery.

I am going to have it towed to the mechanic tomorrow. Hoping it just needs a new starter. Has anyone else here experienced this type of problem?

·
Registered
249 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sounds like a bad starter. Have some one crank it while you hit the starter with the end wooden end of a hammer.

·
Super Moderator
4,310 Posts
Have someone knock the starter while you try to crank. If it starts then its the starter for sure.

·
mobiless2
2,200 Posts
Have you replaced the starter relay? Hold ignition key to start position while someone taps starter.

·
Sosi baklazhani bydlo
589 Posts
As previous people stated, but no point in even bothering with checking it. Its 100% the starter, If you dont hear clicks, it doesnt turn. When your cars engine isnt running, everything is pulling life from your battery.

Get a new starter and call it a day

·
Rush fan
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES!

You guys were right, it was the starter. The AAA guy showed up to tow it but first he checked the battery and tried to jump start it. The battery checked out fine and it wouldn't start. He then banged on the starter and we were able to start it that way, so I drove it to the shop.

HERE'S THE BAD NEWS....

My mechanic said that these late model honda starters fail a lot. He said this is the third one he's had to replace recently and one of them was in a civic with only 40,000 miles on it! (my accord has 140,000) He also said they were very expensive. I had no idea until he told me how much! Try $375.00! Thats just for the part! Now you might think he is trying to rip me off but this guy is a friend of our family and we've known him for almost 20 years. Ok, so they were able to find a refurbished one for $215.00 and I went with that one knowing that it might not last as long as a new one.

Here is another bad news... To replace the starter they have to remove the intake manifold because of its location. This is 2 hours labor (although he gave me a good discount).

Hope you guys don't have to replace yours anytime soon!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had the same case. It was the bad contact copper set . I changed it myself , it cost me 40usd for that part. Pretty much work.

·
03 Accord EX
427 Posts
I had the same case. It was the bad contact copper set . I changed it myself , it cost me 40usd for that part. Pretty much work.
Pretty much work? As in it takes alot of work to do or..

I think my starter is going. But something else may be wrong too. May have to create a post.

·
Forum Insomniac
482 Posts
Just some wishful thinking here, but I hope it's something less serious than the starter, like the wires connected to the starter or the starter relay. At the least, you could get the starter tested.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've got the same symptoms with my '03. Intermittent slow cranking and then working fine. I'm on my third new battery. The guy at O'Reilly said the first one checked out bad, the second one seemed ok, but they replaced it, too. Today I got nothin' with the turn of the key and had it towed to the dealer. Waiting for the bad news.
In the old days, I would slide under the car and drop the starter in a few minutes. This one is impossible to reach.

·
03 Accord EX
427 Posts
To the post above and also in reply to mine. This is what occurred with me.
. When my parents turned the key a few weeks it just would not kick at all. Which is the first time this occurred. SO probably exactly a year (March 2010) from the start of the problem the starter was changed. No problems now. We will see how it goes for the rest of the year.

After 7 years 125,000 this was the first mechanical problem with the car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ouch! Bad news, it was the starter. $342 parts, $366 labor at the dealer. I got them to reduce the part price after showing them lower prices on the internet, but other dealers were higher. Locally recommended independent garages gave me estimates from $300-600, but they didn't give me much confidence they knew how to do the job. You have to remove the intake manifold to get to the starter. There are a lot of hoses, cables and other stuff to disconnect. I have the instructions with diagrams if anyone is interested, but I chickened out on this one.

·
04 4D 5MT Accord LX 152k
149 Posts
Less than $200 at Auto Zone and do that yourself. Starters are pretty easy to replace.

Edit: Little move involved on these cars: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27620&highlight=starter

I had 89 Accord that said you had to remove the CV axle to get the alternator out, I did it without doing that. Don't know if you can get to the starter without removing intake manifold. My starter has acted weak at times so I guess I will figure it out one day. I have the V6 battery in the I4.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got a 99' 4runner too and it had the starter replaced at the dealer right before I bought it. $385 installed for a reman stater. I thought that was crazy until I read this post. Wow...

Last starter I replaced was in my buddys Jeep $60 and 10 minutes and it was done.

·
Registered
64 Posts
For a 2004 Accord 4cyl/AT, the intake manifold and throttle body have to be removed as a unit to get to the starter which is buried underneath the manifold next to the engine block. It's tedious but not overly complicated, and takes a couple of hours if you're familiar with the work. Just be careful to button up everything properly and check the push-on wiring connectors to the knock sensor and starter after putting the new starter in and before reinstalling the manifold assembly. Also, be sure you snap the wiring harness connector(s) together with a bit of force (especially the larger one underneath the manifold which runs to the alternator, starter, and knock sensor) to make them seat properly. A rebuilt lifetime warranty starter cost me about $140 from a local parts chain store. Good luck...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts