Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably the 3-4th owner and I was replacing the air intake tube of it as it was damaged. Something though was the clamp was missing (Part), and it has been for about 2 years since I had it. The tube is sealed (for the time being) but no clamp.

Question for you, how important is the clamp? And how do I get a replacement? All the sites on the internet quote $10 for the clamp and $10 for shipping, which sounds ridiculous.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
You can just get one from home depot for $5, standard worm gear hose clamp. You can live on the edge by not having one, or least put put on a zip tie. During hard acceleration, the tube can shake loose of the throttle body then your car will start buckling or unexpectedly shut down with mass air flow sensor bypassed.

·
Cruising in Montana
4,044 Posts
It's necessary, or some sort of similar clamp. If that hose isn't clamped, air can get through. This is called 'unmetered' air because it is entering downstream of (after) the mass air flow sensor. The MAF tells the computer how much air to expect.

Get one at a junkyard, or the dealer. Mine doesn't charge for shipping since any customer orders are part of their normal parts reupply runs. It usually arrives the next day.

·
ziptie princess
1,627 Posts
i have zipties on both ends, it's fine

the 7th gen is normally aspirated, so it's not like you have to worry about blowing a charge pipe because you don't have it clamped properly

·
Elvira
3,369 Posts
If both clamps were missing, wouldn't the airflow through the air intake tube tend to pull the tube onto the TB flange and off the airbox flange? So if the clamp is on the TB it may be running fine for these 2 years as OP has stated. Didn't say there were any CEL or DTC's popping up.

Just a mind exercise.

Albeit, I would put both on anyway just to seal everything as it was intended.

Reactions: thnok

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have zipties on both ends, it's fine

the 7th gen is normally aspirated, so it's not like you have to worry about blowing a charge pipe because you don't have it clamped properly
user name description checks out :D I might do the zip tie method as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts