Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Newbie here. Hopefully someone can Help. I somehow stripped the threads of the upper rear drivers side brake caliper Bolt. I purchased a duralast kit from Autozone and attempted to use the new bolt with the kit, and somehow stripped the threads. It wont lock and just keeps spinning. I have tried to remove it, however, when I do it just spins as well and the pin and boot also spin. I tried using a wrench to stabilize the pin but the bolt just continunes to spin and wont back out. Ive tried slipping a screw driver behind the bolt head and no luck. Tried pliers/grips etc to add some pulling tension as I turned and still no luck. I was thinking about cutting the bolt/pin and trying to get it out that way and then just replace both with the autozone kit.. Any thoughts, ideas, info, advice is definetly appreciated...

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
If you actually stripped the thread of the bolt to the point the bolt just spins while the slider pin is held stationary (i.e. not turning), then shouldn't you be able to just pull the bolt straight out??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I thought as well. Should just be able to pull it out, but no dice. I tried using wrench, locking wrench, even tried to hammer a screwdriver behind bolt head and nothing....

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
See http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15545 for tips and pictures.

So you put a wrench on the hex shape boss just in front of the rubber bellow as in the 3rd last pic in the first post, held it steady, yet the bolt on the other side of the bracket just turns freely? Does in continue to turn freely in both directions?

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
As much as it doesn't make any sense that the bolt doens't come out even though the thread seems to be stripped, cutting the head off the bolt is likely your best bet at this point.

You will also need to get the receptacle pin part since the thread in that part is also damaged.......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. What do you think about cutting te bolt/pin through at the rubber grommet and going about it that way? Also is the pin pretty straightforward to put in once I get the caliper free?? Thanks again for all the advice!!!

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
I suppose you can try that too, the danger is is somehow the portion of the bolt still doesn't release from from the pin, then you still have to cut or grind the head of the bolt off.

The pin is straight forward, it simply slides into the cavity of the caliper.

BEFORE you start grinding or cutting away at the bolt, take a deep breath and have a good look of the parts on your car as compared to those in the pictures of the DIY thread to see if you've missed something obvious, I just find it really hard to believe you've actually stripped out the threads that badly short of a smaller bolt was put in by someone who attempted to work on it previously.........

Also, can you post some pictures of this area on your car? Others may see something that you are not seeing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So once I get the bolt head cut off how do I get the caliper off? Do I push the bolt in and pull the caliper off?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey!! Thanks for the advice. Did exactly as you said and it came off!!! got the new bolt/pin from autozone with the grommets for 12 buckss.... Any chance you would know the toqrue settings for the rear caliper bolts and the fron caliper bolts??? Thanks again for the help, I definetly appreciate it!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts