Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '05 Accord Hybrid with 110,000 miles. At 81,000 miles, just after the Honda warranty on the battery expired, the check engine and IMA light came on. I took it to a Honda dealer and called their 800 number about it. The dealer did a 'software upgrade' on it and said it was fine. The customer service person assured me that if there was a problem with the battery, they would pay to replace it (because I was very unhappy that it started to have problems immediately after the warranty period).
Over the next couple of years, I've been through this a few times and the dealer keeps saying it just needs a software upgrade. This last time, it was OK for less than 30 days before the lights came on again. I called the dealer who had done the software upgrade and he said that they thought the battery was dying (although that's not what they told me when I had it in the shop).
My question is this, how would I find someone who can rebuild the hybrid battery? I've found a few references to this as an option and some people say it's actually better than replacing it. Does anyone here have experience with this?
I've been told the replacement cost will be anywhere from $2,700 to $5,400, depending on the dealer. Needless to say, this does not thrill me. I suspect those prices don't include labor.
I was told I could drive it even if the hybrid battery quits entirely. I'm tempted to do that but the mileage is dropping (& it wasn't great when it was working). I'm also concerned that it will not pass the required state inspections with the check engine light on.
Your thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts