Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey DA,

05 Accord V6 with 70k miles on it. I've done two drain and refills in the past. Recently I've noticed that shifting into 1st and 2nd provided very fast, and FIRM.

The problem is shifting from 2-3 is very slow, and soft/sluggish at light acceleration. In comparison to the 1st and 2nd shifts, sometimes I can't even feel the 3rd gear shift. When I do feel it, it seems like a "forced" shift, and I feel a slight nudge (not firm) and rpms drop extremely fast after the 3rd gear. 3-4th feels similar.

My question is, are the clutch packs/ (I forgot term) worn out at 3rd? Will 3rd-4th pressure switches help?

Thanks in Advance!

·
03 EX V6, and 6 others
147 Posts
Supposedly the pressure switches can help this. I can' confirm this, I am in process of doing a complete rebuild on the transmission. But, in the case of our car, the 3rd shift would almost completely let go (rpm high, wouldn't catch unless you let off the gas).

Jim

BTW, which transmission do you have? BAYA or MAYA.

·
Mike
779 Posts
Yes the pressure switches can fix this, they completely fixed that 2nd to 3rd extended shift under light throttle in mine a few years ago - I did a write up in this forum with graphs comparing the old and new switches.

·
Mike
779 Posts
Pressure switch replacement also changed the shift feel into 4th and the time spent in 4th gear. Something I had not really noticed until the change. Extend shift into 3rd under light throttle due to 3rd gear pressure switch age drift can also extend the engagement delay from P to D in this V6-5AT and in my case replacement shortened it noticeability.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys!

I'm not sure which transmission I have.. but I'll try to find out asap (How do you check?)

That's great to hear. Just to clarify, FIRM shifts is a good thing right? Less wear and tear? (My 1st - 2nd even at light acceleration shifts @ 3k, but it is very firm, and feels good.

I'm going to be definitely look into the switches replaced.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts

·
03 EX V6, and 6 others
147 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys!

I'm not sure which transmission I have.. but I'll try to find out asap (How do you check?)

That's great to hear. Just to clarify, FIRM shifts is a good thing right? Less wear and tear? (My 1st - 2nd even at light acceleration shifts @ 3k, but it is very firm, and feels good.

I'm going to be definitely look into the switches replaced.
Look at post #85 in the transmission sticky at the top. You'll see the two stickers identifying which transmission yours is. I'll also post a close up of one of mine (easiest to see near the starter) at the front of the transmission.

You shouldn't really have "firm" shifts with these transmissions. They should be quick, but not firm. A transmission that has modifications to the valve body to create "firm" shifts has to be done when inside the transmission. I've done this on my corvette, but it is designed as a performance transmission. I had the vette specifically built for "firm" shifts. The Accord has never been firm, in fact I often had a hard time telling when it shifted. I could only tell by watching the rpm drop. Anytime I felt it, I had my wife take it in to change fluid.

Attachments

·
Mike
779 Posts
IMHO Firm means different thing to each of us and needs to be defined. I had a 427ci Big block with a C6 and a shift kit. Now that was firm. My Accord is very positive and quick shifting. Under any kind of spirited driving it is punchy in all shifts (very close to fast manual box shifting) no noise so jar just very positive quick clutch (pack) engagements.

More so after I changed over to a good Synthetic fluid (D4) many years ago when the world was supposed to end if you didn't use Z1.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts