Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:dunno:
I have been searching and cant find any tinted smoke or black overlays for my reverse taillights in my 05 coupe. I have found them for almost any other cars, subarus, chargers, audi, and honda civics and older accord sedans but CANNOT find any for a 7th gen coupe. I know i could buy film and cut it myself to fit the reverse lights but im not sure how easy that is to do to make it look good/straight...
When i bought my car they were on there but had to take them off to pass inspection (i know ...lame), the guy was a d**k and should have kept them as a stencil to cut out new film but didn't. These is for the reverse middle part of the taillight only, not the whole taillight which i think looks bad.
Hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,477 Posts
I hate it when those pesky inspection people do their jobs and make sure cars are up to safety regulations.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
Funny, I went out my way to INCREASE light output of the reverse lights by modifying 50W halogen bulbs to fit into the reverse light socket, the ones came with my car (same as OP's) are kind of dim IMHO.

I don't understand why people would intentionally want to DECREASE the light output?! :confused:

·
Roll Tide!
6,794 Posts
Funny, I went out my way to INCREASE light output of the reverse lights by modifying 50W halogen bulbs to fit into the reverse light socket, the ones came with my car (same as OP's) are kind of dim IMHO.
:notworthy Thanks for the tip. I WILL be doing this. :yes:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Although I agree with others about not decreasing light output I, too, applied a film over my reverse lights. For me, it was to mute out the thin red stripes that run inside the reverse lights. From afar, they make that section look light pink (See example below). If this is the OP's reasoning as well, then I would recommend a very light tint and get some bright CREE LED reverse lights to compensate.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Although I agree with others about not decreasing light output I, too, applied a film over my reverse lights. For me, it was to mute out the thin red stripes that run inside the reverse lights. From afar, they make that section look light pink (See example below). If this is the OP's reasoning as well, then I would recommend a very light tint and get some bright CREE LED reverse lights to compensate.
Is that your ride? I wish my car looked exactly like that

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,027 Posts
So I realize OP is asking about the coupe, but for my two cents here is my sedan with a few light layers of Plasti Dip "Smoke" to tint the taillights, 3rd brake light, and reverse housings ...

It's a very subtle grey since it's only 2 or 3 layers, and doesn't noticeably impede the reverse lights or the brake LED's.

Plus it was only $20 CDN for the can, and I love the look over stock.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think light output for reverse loghts is THAT unsafe. It's not like I'm one of these idiots with blacked out tillights when you can hardly tell they are braking. I m thinking about taping it off and spraying a light coat of plastidip. I still want it somewhat transparent so will a thin lyer of plastidip prevent that

·
Roll Tide!
6,794 Posts
So I realize OP is asking about the coupe, but for my two cents here is my sedan with a few light layers of Plasti Dip "Smoke" to tint the taillights, 3rd brake light, and reverse housings ...

It's a very subtle grey since it's only 2 or 3 layers, and doesn't noticeably impede the reverse lights or the brake LED's.

Plus it was only $20 CDN for the can, and I love the look over stock.
I almost rear-ended an idiot a few weeks back that "smoked" his taillights darker than yours. I pulled him over and nearly beat his ass. Of course he was a disrespectful punk that pushed my buttons which is why he almost received a whooping. But I digress. This was on a bright and sunny day which made it almost impossible to see his brake lights. They may light-up better at night, but during the day suked (why is the proper spelling of this word filter and not ass?). IF you get into an accident because of your lights, I can assure you that you will likely be found at fault because of your tinted tails and brake light. Keep it safe, bro.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,027 Posts
IF you get into an accident because of your lights, I can assure you that you will likely be found at fault because of your tinted tails and brake light. Keep it safe, bro.
If someone rear ends me because they can't see my taillights, they need to have their licence TAKEN AWAY for being LEGALLY BLIND.

I've carefully, and purposefully taken my time with this (as I stated above) so that it didn't affect the brake light output. The LED blocks are still visible ... I digress, maybe it's the picture, or your screen brightness, but 3 layers of Plasti Dip Smoke merely gave it a slight grey and a nice matte texture/appearance.

·
Banned
546 Posts
Why would you want to do away with reverse lights? We're seeing so much of that now days...to each his own

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
Mike W ! Welcome back!

Gents, good luck in explaining the whole "One plasti-dip coat vs. Three plasti-dip coats" to a jury of morons. You modify your taillights and the lawyers will beat you down as hard as jimijam would. It's one thing if you are an adult, but an 16 year-old? Ticket time.

·
Banned
546 Posts
Mike W ! Welcome back!

Gents, good luck in explaining the whole "One plasti-dip coat vs. Three plasti-dip coats" to a jury of morons. You modify your taillights and the lawyers will beat you down as hard as jimijam would. It's one thing if you are an adult, but an 16 year-old? Ticket time.
Haha thanks Rick! You know I wasn't "completely gone" the entire time hahaha :thmsup:

·
Super Moderator
6,626 Posts
Like I said before, break out the GTS covers. :lmao:

20 years later, this mod is coming all the way around. To be honest, tons of punks around my neighborhood doing this shit and really, under intense sunlight, you can barely see the brake lights when they light up. You might think the light intensity doesn't decrease, but to the other drivers in various lighting and driving conditions, it's a different story. And I don't think it's cool looking at all.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,027 Posts
I m thinking about taping it off and spraying a light coat of plastidip. I still want it somewhat transparent so will a thin lyer of plastidip prevent that
If you tape off a section, for any part your going to Plasti Dip, you have to peel the tape off while the Plasti Dip is still wet to have a sharp edge because the dip will dry to the tape and lift off in about 3-5 minutes if the coating is light ... You Tube has tons of video's on dipping ...

Some 16 year olds souldn't even be given their licence in the first place ... but to the point - I think that's (the court/suing thing) a big difference in our cultures as well - here in BC all drivers are covered under the Provincial (State) auto insurance ... You could have burned out tails and if someone hits you, they are at fault for not paying attention to traffic ... And before I get flamed on that - it's worse in Alberta, where you can cut someone off and if they hit you it's THEIR FAULT.

And I don't think it's cool looking at all.
I'm with you on that - I think blacked out tails are over the top.

But just for the sake of conversation, what's the difference of what amounts to a 5-10% tint of your reverse lights (like mine, not a GTS blacked out cover) and say a 25-30% tint on your rear windows? I think mildly tinted windows are more of a "self" hazard at night than tinted reverse lights.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
@bobbo: I can tell from your writing style and previous posts that you are an educated, friend-filled man who is conscientious of others. What you did to Betty White's tails is pretty nice- it accentuates the clean lines and is tasteful AND respectful.

In Chicago, USA, there are many punks as t-rd mentioned and if the police have not pulled them over yet, it is because they don't want to deal with the paperwork. In Chicago, even tinted windows can bring in the attention of law enforcement because we just don't get the harsh sunlight that Atlanta gets- and those tinted windows can be hiding gang bangers.

My German cousins had to go through such incredible training before they could get their driver's license at age 18. They actually had to demonstrate so much- including first aid and how to change a tire using the equipment that comes with your car. Here in the States we will give anyone a license.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,027 Posts
@Rick - now that I'm done blushing ... half my youth was spent in Chicago and surrounding areas, Wrigley and the Science Centre were yearly trips, I still have a lot of family in Plainfield and Joliet ... in our area dealers don't drive regular cars, they all drive Land Rovers and Lambo's ... Vancouver's full of high priced opulance ...

There was a HUGE sting in the Vanoucver area a few years back, were immigrants were going into a licencing centre down in Richmond and simply buying their licence from disgruntled provincial employees ... One of the many reasons why my area is listed *routinely as one of the worst areas for driving in Canada - AND - the second most congested traffic in North America next to Los Angles.

I knew I wanted Betty's lights to look different, but not at the expense of my own safety ... so I have a light grey tint, more so, it just looks different with the matte finish than a "smoke tint" really.

I feel bad that there are people out there, who've ruined it for others in their State, by going over board with tint and its now illegal in said State.

IMO - Tail light tinting is like roof racks or Plasti Dip - you either agree or disagree. On some matters, I agree to disagree.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts