Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2005 4cyl Accord, 120k miles.

This is the third time I've noticed this problem in the past two months. I've let my tank get almost to empty...far enough for the light to come on...and then filled up all the way. As soon as I pull out of the gas station and to the first stop light not 100 yards away, my engine starts shaking and sputtering. It'll do it for about 15 seconds, then go back to normal. It spooked me the first time it happened, all I knew to do was put it in neutral!

I've been researching it and read fuel filter or fuel pump. Anyone have this happen before, or have a good idea what would be causing it, and how to fix it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
183 Posts
never had this happen. I used to own a 2000 civic ex coupe and if you let the gas tank get to a quarter or less the first time you tried to start the car it would crank and not start no matter how long you tried. As soon as you let off the key and tried again it would fire right up.

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
838 Posts
Are you overfilling the tank? Do you click the fuel nozzle a dozen times to get an extra 0.00133 gallons in the tank? It's bad to do that.
I can't tell you how many times I hear people doing that at the fuel station and it makes me cringe.

I don't know think it has anything to do with letting the tank get too low. I run my tank down to the light every time(unless filling up for a long stretch without gas along the way).

If it was the filter or pump, it would happen at places other than the fuel station.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Any CEL? Does the RPM drop below 500? I had something similar happened to me like a year ago. It turned out to be my IACV being clogged up with carbon build up. It happened to me after fill ups as well. I thought it was my fuel pump until I noticed it get worse and worse over time. Eventually, my car struggled to stay on until I cleaned it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Toshbar, nope...not overfilling the tank. I stop when the pump stops, never try to "top it off".

highercal,
Yes, my CEL has been on for about two weeks now. Sorry, meant to mention that above. I took it by Advance to pull the code, and they tried two code readers...neither one could read the code. Haven't gotten it to the mechanic yet to check further. Any instructions on how to go about cleaning the IACV?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Toshbar, nope...not overfilling the tank. I stop when the pump stops, never try to "top it off".

highercal,
Yes, my CEL has been on for about two weeks now. Sorry, meant to mention that above. I took it by Advance to pull the code, and they tried two code readers...neither one could read the code. Haven't gotten it to the mechanic yet to check further. Any instructions on how to go about cleaning the IACV?
It would be best to pull off the code first before doing the clean. That would be the best way to determine whats wrong.

But here is a video of how to clean a IACV:

·
Carpe Diem
2,565 Posts
When the gas light comes on you still have two gallons left...that isn't anywhere near empty.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
josh: I think you posted a couple weeks ago about similar issues. You have got to get that Check Engine Light (CEL) code. Your car will only store that code for a period of time. You can either run to an auto parts store to get them to read the code (for free) as soon as it happens, or invest $20 and get your own code reader. Your car is telling you what is wrong- get that code!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
josh: I think you posted a couple weeks ago about similar issues. You have got to get that Check Engine Light (CEL) code. Your car will only store that code for a period of time. You can either run to an auto parts store to get them to read the code (for free) as soon as it happens, or invest $20 and get your own code reader. Your car is telling you what is wrong- get that code!

10-4...I've got a time to bring it in to my mech to get the code and take a closer look at it. Had two different auto parts stores try to read it, couldn't get anything. I'll get on it, hopefully my mech can access it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts