Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the fuel pump this evening on the 05 EX. I did this because after the car wouldn't start, a mechanic told me that it sounded like the fuel pump was going out.

After replacing fuel pump, reconnecting battery negative, re-installing fuel pump relay, and priming the fuel pump by turning ignition key on a few times, the car started. It idled a little rough, so I shut it off, then restarted it again. Idled a little rough again. I thought that if I ran it around the block that it would fix itself, so I shut it down, went in to the house to get wallet, came out to open front gate, got into the car and now it won't start again. I tried a few more times, still nothing. I tried priming the fuel pump, and again nothing.

Anyone have any ideas of where I should check?

Much appreciated,

Rich

·
Banned
694 Posts
Is the engine cranking? Or when you turn the key there's nothing at all?

Even though you have a new fuel pump, I'd still make sure there's fuel going directly to the fuel rail. If you can check the PSI off of the fuel rail, do it. Have a friend crank it, and see what PSI is coming from the fuel rail.

If that's fine, then of course check the ignition. While I'm not still 100% with these cars yet, but I do know in general that a faulty crank and/or cam sensor can keep the engine from turning over and firing up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Is the engine cranking? Or when you turn the key there's nothing at all?
Yes, the engine is cranking over, just not firing.

Even though you have a new fuel pump, I'd still make sure there's fuel going directly to the fuel rail. If you can check the PSI off of the fuel rail, do it. Have a friend crank it, and see what PSI is coming from the fuel rail.
I'll check for PSI off fuel rail. I will have to buy a PSI gauge, do you have any recommendations of a good gauge?

If that's fine, then of course check the ignition. While I'm not still 100% with these cars yet, but I do know in general that a faulty crank and/or cam sensor can keep the engine from turning over and firing up.
I'll check the ignition after I check the PSI.

Thanks for the ideas Chris,

Rich

·
BACK TO THE FUTURE!!!
15,369 Posts
could it be the main fuel relay that's going bad? that would cause cranking, but no-start condition...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
could it be the main fuel relay that's going bad? that would cause cranking, but no-start condition...
I did pick up a Denso fuel pump relay from Napa today. I installed it about an hour ago, and tried to start the car. Still cranks but still no start. Thanks for the suggestion.

If you didn't already see this similar thread maybe the troubleshooting chart will help:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1563265&postcount=4
I am a just a DIY'er hobbyist, enjoying learning while I'm wrenching, so it will be a slower process than an efficient process. I appreciate the link. I'll be attempting to go through your checklist, as I can.:thmsup:

I just came in from the garage, because I've got a question.
After the no start, I was going to test the fuel pressure. I started looking for a connection port for the gauge on the drivers side between the engine and the firewall. I do see a green cap and a black tag that says 'Evap service port. 1 PSI maximum. Regulated pressure only.

Heres the dumb question:

Is that the test port for fuel pressure gauge, or, is that port for something else?
If that's not the fuel pressure test port, does anyone have any pics of the test port?
The Chilton manual is limited pics.

Thanks for the suggestions you guys are sharing,

Rich

·
Registered
204 Posts
Is this a 4 or 6 cyl?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.