Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2006 Accord Hybrid V6. Just recently I have faced a few issues..
  • The vehicle has zero take off speed. It creeps from 0-20 mph.
  • It hasn't been able to accelerate beyond 3500 rpms before the entire vehicle begins to jerk back and forth.
  • Once it gets going, it has the power to only go about 25-45 mph without gravity from a decline.
My mechanic says the cats need to be replaced and also told me there are three on my vehicle. I only knew of one on a car. To fix, ai am being quoted $300 per cat and we need to fix one to find out if the others are functioning properly. This could snowball into a $1k bill very quickly. The car has about 280k miles on it and I am wondering if repairing it is worth the money and hassle. I have been told Hondas last for 400k, but this is my first. Did I catch a bad one?

·
ziptie princess
1,107 Posts
  • is the check engine light on?
  • should be a pre-cat for each bank of cylinders and a downstream cat after the flex pipe, so yeah, three cats
  • fixing one to find out if the others are working sounds shady

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
    • is the check engine light on?
    • should be a pre-cat for each bank of cylinders and a downstream cat after the flex pipe, so yeah, three cats
    • fixing one to find out if the others are working sounds shady
    [*]
    I thought fixing one to check the others sounded shady as well, but I'm not a car guy. Yes, the check engine light is on and I was shown one of the cat under the hood. That one was for sure needing replacing. If I fix one do I have to fix them all? Is there a way to diagnose what would need to be fixed beforehand? I would like to have this car last a few more years, but I also don't want a money pit.

·
ziptie princess
1,107 Posts
I thought fixing one to check the others sounded shady as well, but I'm not a car guy. Yes, the check engine light is on and I was shown one of the cat under the hood. That one was for sure needing replacing. If I fix one do I have to fix them all? Is there a way to diagnose what would need to be fixed beforehand? I would like to have this car last a few more years, but I also don't want a money pit.
if you can get the car to advance/autozone, ask them to read the codes for you, they'll do it for free, then let us know what they are. what was the reason given for the cat needing to be replaced? in my experience, no, you don't have to replace all of the cats when one fails, but it does depend on what caused the failure.

·
Honda Buff
484 Posts
..... I was shown one of the cat under the hood. That one was for sure needing replacing.....
Unless there is a hole through the catalytic converter and you can hear/see an exhaust leak, the outside appearance of the cat has nothing to do with its ability to do its job. What exactly makes you so sure it needs replacing after looking at it? This sounds super shady to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you can get the car to advance/autozone, ask them to read the codes for you, they'll do it for free, then let us know what they are. what was the reason given for the cat needing to be replaced? in my experience, no, you don't have to replace all of the cats when one fails, but it does depend on what caused the failure.
UPDATE: I took it to AutoZone per your recommendation, multiple codes came up misfire codes (P0300, 0301, 0302, 0303, 0304, 0305, 0306), battery module deterioration (P0A7F & P1570). Along with "Reset Engine Control Module). The guys at the store said I should unplug the negative from the battery overnight to reset the computer and possibly eliminate some codes. I left it unplugged for about three days, when I started it back up only 3 misfire codes remained. Took it to a local certified shop and he verified the coils were cracked. He had the job done in only a few hours.
Acceleration issues gone, rough idle gone the only code that persists is the hybrid battery deterioration. I don't plan to replace that, but I saw a video on Youtube where a guy disabled his hybrid battery to have the car function only on gas. He bought a marine battery. I may go that route.

Thank you for your help! It cost me another $600 to get it done right. But it is done! I couldn't have navigated my way through this without your help. 🙏🏾

1 - 8 of 8 Posts