Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
100K miles

Probably need to change my fronts. Pushing down on the front and releasing, the car continues to rock a couple times. And it does sound like there's a "bottom out" sometimes on potholes or speed bumps.

I'm considering OEM but when I check hondapartsdirect or hondapartsnow, it shows the complete assembly for the front as discontinued.

I can't seem to find an OEM "complete" assembly anymore, which would leave me with aftermarket, like Monroe, which some said aren't great.

Anyone know if OEM is available somewhere? Or a part # more specifically?

TIA

·
Honda Enthusiast
I drive a BMW now.
3,484 Posts
You’re not going to find OEM full assemblies. The car is old so you will have to purchase the parts you need separately. You really only need the shock absorber and maybe some of the rubber parts. Your coil spring is fine and other parts like the dust cover can be swapped over.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You’re not going to find OEM full assemblies. ..
Do you think it would be better then to simply buy an aftermarket full assembly like the Monroe? Just for ease of install? Would there be a significant difference in quality/reliability or "ride" of the vehicle afterwards? I just watched a YT video of the Monroe strut install on an 07 where the guy said no alignment is needed afterward because this particular strut doesn't throw anything out of alignment

I've done shocks myself years ago on a grand cherokee, and if IIRC, I used two jacks with one to compress the coil. Probably not a great idea I know.

I could bring it to a shop and have them do the shock but I'd like to save some $ as I just dropped a bunch on mounts and ball joints..

The Monroes are cheap enough too. <$200 for both R & L...

·
Registered
2005 Accord EX
104 Posts
Do you think it would be better then to simply buy an aftermarket full assembly like the Monroe? Just for ease of install? Would there be a significant difference in quality/reliability or "ride" of the vehicle afterwards? I just watched a YT video of the Monroe strut install on an 07 where the guy said no alignment is needed afterward because this particular strut doesn't throw anything out of alignment

I've done shocks myself years ago on a grand cherokee, and if IIRC, I used two jacks with one to compress the coil. Probably not a great idea I know.

I could bring it to a shop and have them do the shock but I'd like to save some $ as I just dropped a bunch on mounts and ball joints..

The Monroes are cheap enough too. <$200 for both R & L...
There's a reason Monroe shocks are cheap. Buy good shocks like Koni and not just the OEM match either. A sport model will last you the rest of the life of the vehicle. Monroe, not so much.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Monroe are considered "economy", NAPA brand is also Monroe. KYB or Koni would be better. Gabriel are also economy. If you still decide to go with the Monroe just know they use to make a "universal" strut & a vehicle specific strut for the 7th. gen. Hondas.

Reactions: JTCJTC

·
Honda Enthusiast
I drive a BMW now.
3,484 Posts
Follow the recommendations you have received and change out the shock. You don’t need the spring. You are going to get an inferior result doing what you suggest.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Amazon does have this KYB:

But seems like the prevailing wisdom is NOT to use the complete "quick" struts at all, as it changes the dynamic of your car; requires a alignment afterwards too..

There's pretty much no chance of me changing just the strut by myself though as I don't have compressors for the springs. So I'd need a mechanic.

Anyone know the "book time" per side to rebuild the strut with a new cartridge so I can gauge a mechanics labor cost?

·
2004 EX 2.4L AT
16 Posts
I put KYB quick struts on my '04 about 2 years ago. They've held up really well in the 40k miles since.

I would've rather kept the original springs but I just didn't want to mess with a spring compressor. I figured the best alternative was to buy a high quality quick strut. They're a little over $100 each on Rock Auto and made the job easy.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Amazon does have this KYB:

But seems like the prevailing wisdom is NOT to use the complete "quick" struts at all, as it changes the dynamic of your car; requires a alignment afterwards too..

There's pretty much no chance of me changing just the strut by myself though as I don't have compressors for the springs. So I'd need a mechanic.

Anyone know the "book time" per side to rebuild the strut with a new cartridge so I can gauge a mechanics labor cost?
Labor rates varies, it can also depend on the market you are in. Metro area's are higher that more rural area's. $150-180 an hr. where I live, but driving 30 min. outside my area the rate is $90 hr. You don't want a shop to use "book" time, you want to use a shop that will charge you for the time it took to do the job. Book time may state 4 hrs. but it may only take the mechanic 1 hr., you get charged for 4 hrs. labor. I had 2 sets of quick struts put on my 04, I get regular alignments anyway, if you are concerned about the alignment cost then look for a package from a chain tire shop which would give you unlimited alignments for a certain time period (can be 1-5 yrs.).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts