Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I have a 2006 Honda Accord Coupe V6 automatic. I'm starting to do some work on it, starting with minor performance upgrades, brakes, and a new sound system. Any input is welcome. First thing I'm doing is a new cold air intake, probably this one:

69-1207TR - K&N 69 Series Typhoon Kits, Performance Intake Kit

K&N gets good reviews overall, but if anyone has done performance upgrades to a car similar to mine I'd like to know what parts you used and if you're satisfied.

Anyone recommend against K&N? I've only heard good things so far.

Thanks!

·
07 I4 MT coupe
254 Posts
Oh boy! Did you just unknowingly (because you didn't do a search) stir up a hornets nest on the topic of bolt on mods.

I will tell you that opinions on here run the whole gambit....

I myself am a bit reserved on a final conclusion until I see dyno chart results of a before and after install, and an after install with a "tune" to take advantage of the new part.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
9506, let me put this bluntly. CAI will not offer any noticeable gains in performance. In my younger years, I drove a C4 and C5 Corvette and a E36 Coupe. The only way I would have been able to improve 0-60 times was through headers and a tune. I left them alone. They were all leased. But in a Vette, I believe you can bump the HP by 40-50 through headers and a tune.

CAI on a Honda, IMHO, is a gimmick (haven't seen any dyno numbers, mind you).

Maybe should have bought a 6MT. It is faster. Especially in black.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I will have to disagree/agree with the comments of not noticing a performance difference with a CAI.

I went with the Injen, and man do I not regret it. Although there may not be much differences in performance, the sound that it gives the v6 engine is just SO sexy. That alone was worth it for me. I was never even going to do a CAI, but figured I would since I am going to do more.

Definitely go Injen though :)

Reactions: Midnight Mystery

·
2005 Accord EX-L *SSM*
590 Posts
I will say , after installing a K&N SRI myself and then reverting back to stock, nothing compares to stock.

You get a nice little extra growl, that's absolute. However, that's where the benefits end.
Your desire to hear the growl grows and grows, until you think you're getting more horse power but it's really just the same.

After a while, the growl at low RPM's starts to irk you, and you make your way through stop and go traffic. That is until it drives you mad, and you decide to go back to stock.

All of the sudden there is an awe inspiring silence. The car has never sounded so quiet, or preppy for that matter.

/CoolStory.

Reactions: jimijam

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Bang for the buck, I'd spend the money elsewhere. I'd put it into brakes first, then exhaust. To me, CAI comes after exhaust, if at all.

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
You will lose low end torque with a intake tube going into the wheel well, plus danger with high water. You get some sexy sound effect (quoting what crkdslider said haha) with a short ram intake, that's it. The heat soak problem with a short ram intake after driving for a while makes your car slower than stock on a hot day. You can, however, keep the engine performance consistent and less prone to heat soak problem by keeping the stock intake air box and taking out the air resonator. I hacked off the the upper portion of the air resonator's pipe and keep it connected to the lower portion of the stock air box to draw cooler air. I will never spend $200+ on an aftermarket intake again, it is a waste of money for a street car.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You need both intake and exhaust to see gains. I'd make my own Sri save the extra money for exhaust, if you really want to maximize gains look at j37 mani PnP runners zdx TB paired w xlr8 or rv6 jpipe PCD and any CBE.

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
^^

This, suspension mods are more gratifying than any other mods.

And it's P2R intake runner, not PnP, ZDX throttle body is known to have idle problem when paired with this car. The intake manifold spacer from MDX or P2R increases both HP and torque for just $100.

PCD's are not legal in many states.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
best bang for your buck, do the sway bar mod, screw the cai.
^ this ... I kept reading this thread just to say this, but @Amar beat me to it.

Reactions: Amar

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
^ Well, you told him to get the one with the biggest sticker.

I'm not joking about he AEM intake. Someone spent $250 on it and it was nothing more than a waste of time and money. It made this really weird noise like my old 1987 Volvo 4-banger did when it tried to go up a hill and just couldn't do it. I removed it and put the stock air box in it and not only does it sound better, it still hauls ass and is only a 4-banger.

Some of the other posters are right though. Adding intake doesn't do any good without outtake, and I'm pretty sure a K&N filter doesn't do much for intake improvement. I bought the K&N hype 15 years ago and put one on my 1994 GMC Suburban. It did zilch. I spent $35 for a filter that did zilch.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
My friend flooded his motor with CAI. 05 TL.
your friend hydrolocking his car? what happened drove through a flood?

it's almost impossible to submerge the filter unless your in about 2-3 feet of water and don't notice it

also, for anyone looking into buying the AEM Bypass Valve (fits usually middle of the piping), make sure it'll work on the Accord. some vehicles it does not and your buying a part that doesn't function properly as intended

·
Don't drink and drive
5,162 Posts
your friend hydrolocking his car? what happened drove through a flood?

it's almost impossible to submerge the filter unless your in about 2-3 feet of water and don't notice it

also, for anyone looking into buying the AEM Bypass Valve (fits usually middle of the piping), make sure it'll work on the Accord. some vehicles it does not and your buying a part that doesn't function properly as intended

Huge puddle

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the same CAI on my 06 V6 4dr but I installed it as a Short Ram Intake, I live in Minnesota so it would be a pain to pull the parts to the CAI every winter to avoid vapor lock. The SRI does not really do anything just sounds a little better when you stomp it on an on ramp.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a K&N 69-1209TS on my 04 Accord 2.4L SULEV with only 88,568 miles on it and I can't be more happier than I'm with this upgrade even after a year of installed.
It seems people are giving bad reviews on these mod but I have no complaints of it. For me if you have a well maintain stock Accord this mod can give your ride more horsepower. I could attest to this.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts