Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put the key in the ignition after forgetting something at my house, turned it over and nothing at all happened, no sound at all. Keyless Entry and all lights are working. Battery light and oil light are staying on though. Just had oil changed and car has never done this before. Have been reading about the stereo fuse being an issue and a few other things. Not a skilled mechanic but i can do simple stuff, not under warranty, so any advice would be helpful... Thanks

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
It dont take much to drain the battery on these cars to where you could have lights and such but no start. I would start with jumping it and taking to a auto parts store for a free batter check and work from there first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wouldnt it still make some sort of noise even if it was the battery? I turned it off for maybe 5 mins... Do you know anything about the thing with the radio fuse?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I'd've thought you get at least a very slow crank, or some sign that shows the car is at least trying to tick over.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It may be the crank sensor on that car, that happened to me when I had my altima and I was worried it was a fuel pump, but turned out being the crank sensor

·
06 6MT Sedan
898 Posts
Put the key in the ignition after forgetting something at my house, turned it over and nothing at all happened, no sound at all. Keyless Entry and all lights are working. Battery light and oil light are staying on though. Just had oil changed and car has never done this before. Have been reading about the stereo fuse being an issue and a few other things. Not a skilled mechanic but i can do simple stuff, not under warranty, so any advice would be helpful... Thanks
Try to jump it and report back!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Check your battery cables, this happened to me about 2 weeks ago and it turned out my negative (-) cable wasn't on tight enough.

·
Super Moderator
4,311 Posts
If nothing at all happens it could be the starter. After you try to jump it next have someone bang the starter while you try to crank. Also make sure it is fully in park look at the select light in the cluster. That happened to me a few times.

·
'09 TL SH AWD Tech
654 Posts
I think it was at this site or v6p that I read that there are issues with the transmission "P" sensor. In other words when that sensor fails the car thinks it is in gear instead of "P" and it won't start. If you insert the key in the hole next to the shifter and move the shifter to "N", it may start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really appreciate all of the advice guys, i've tried everything you have suggested and determined that it was the starter. Im a newbie at mechanics, but i really want to attempt to change it myself. Sounds like a good idea to me right now, but looking at the engine bay kinda scares me. Not sure i really know where the starter is at... If you guys have any advice or if anybody would wanna walk me through the steps of removing it and locating it, i would def be appreciative. Wanna get familiar with my car and know how to do some things to it... Love this car!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tried hitting the starter while cranking it and it did nothing... Lol! Got a little too confusing, so im having a mechanic friend come over and change it, he said its simple... Thanks for all of the advice once again guys!

·
Second gear slammer!
461 Posts
id almost garauntee its your terminals on your batt. take them off and clean them with terminal cleaner and a wire brush. and reinstall them. if its not that tap on your starter housing with a wrench. not hard, because there are magnets inside it which may break or crack if you beat them too hard. then give it another crank.. lemme know what you find out. :banana:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey, I was reading something, the 05's had a recall about something breaking off in the fuel pump and rendering it useless......

Here is the link

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2003-to-2007-honda-accord-9.htm

It does sound like the problem you described since you turned on the car and it ran and then died on you and now won't crank over. Just an idea maybe check the fuses etc and see if that is the problem. Because everything would work minus you being able to crank over if it had no fuel?

Just an idea

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Hey, I was reading something, the 05's had a recall about something breaking off in the fuel pump and rendering it useless......
If it were just the fuel pump the car would still crank.

Is the security light on? Do you have a multimeter?

If not,
1) Listen for *any* sounds from the engine bay when you try to start the car
2) Try starting the car in Neutral
3) Try jumping

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had the same issue, but its fix now

Hey i am not sure if you got everything work out, but i had that same problem with my 2nd Accord coupe v6. And i got it to start jumping it directly into the power wires going into the fuse box (that is after i ran some electrical diagnosis through the whole car)...Hope that helps

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
If it were just the fuel pump the car would still crank.

Is the security light on? Do you have a multimeter?

If not,
1) Listen for *any* sounds from the engine bay when you try to start the car
2) Try starting the car in Neutral
3) Try jumping
Hey i am not sure if you got everything work out, but i had that same problem with my 2nd Accord coupe v6. And i got it to start jumping it directly into the power wires going into the fuse box (that is after i ran some electrical diagnosis through the whole car)...Hope that helps
I don't get this, how is OP jumping (madly up and down I guess) is going to help starting his car?!?!

Jumpering might work better. :lmao:

·
Banned
294 Posts
06 V6 owner here :wave: This is directly related to the shoddy starters Honda chose for our model year and trim Accord. I've been complaining about this to Honda since I got the car via 2 dealerships.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts