Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
2007 Accord EX 2dr Coupe
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m original owner of a 2007 Honda Accord EX coupe. 66,000 miles. Earlier in year was in a large city stuck in stop/start traffic. The temp gauge almost maxed out before traffic starting moving again and temp gauge went back to normal? When I arrived home checked antifreeze and it was good.

Earlier this week same situation. Start/stop traffic in large city and temp gauge almost max`s out. No discharge of radiator fluid in either incident. I did smell the engine over heating. No temp gauge warnings though. I`m stumped since this only happens in heavy start/stop traffic. Normal driving city/hwy running conditions no issues. I`m somewhat stumped.

I`m thinking thermostat. Vehicle has been dealership serviced since day one. An gone else have same issue? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Thermostat or radiator fan not working. Did the needle get into the red?

·
BACK TO THE FUTURE!!!
15,210 Posts
are you running the a/c in traffic? if so, the a/c cooling fan isn't turning on.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm surprised the guys who already posted have not advised you to change out your coolant. Granted you need to find out the root cause of the problem ASAP, you need to change that coolant ASAP as well if it overheated to the point the needle almost maxed out. The reason I say this is that on my UltraGauge the max temp I have ever seen was 207 when pulling a long, steep grade. The temp needle wasn't even halfway across its range of motion (the needle would be vertical). This just shows you the "inaccuracy" of the stock gauge in terms of warning you when temps are getting way too hot.

Even in heavy stop and go traffic with or without running my A/C I rarely go above 202 F

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I'm surprised the guys who already posted have not advised you to change out your coolant. Granted you need to find out the root cause of the problem ASAP, you need to change that coolant ASAP as well if it overheated to the point the needle almost maxed out. The reason I say this is that on my UltraGauge the max temp I have ever seen was 207 when pulling a long, steep grade. The temp needle wasn't even halfway across its range of motion (the needle would be vertical). This just shows you the "inaccuracy" of the stock gauge in terms of warning you when temps are getting way too hot.

Even in heavy stop and go traffic with or without running my A/C I rarely go above 202 F
Well first he needs to fix the problem, doesn't he? What was your suggestion on that? If the coolant is relatively fresh, it does not need to be changed.

The coolant is made to handle very high temps, thus it's high boiling point. Yes, stock gauges can be somewhat inaccurate but even more so if the thermostat is stuck closed and not allowing the coolant flow to distribute heat evenly.

·
2007 Accord EX 2dr Coupe
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thermostat or radiator fan not working. Did the needle get into the red?
Needle was in the red. One mark high from maxing out. No warning lights came on console.

are you running the a/c in traffic? if so, the a/c cooling fan isn't turning on.
A/C was not on either time. First time early April temps mid 40`s. 2nd time low 70`s windy.

Which dealer on the lake in Ohio do you take it to for servicing?
Sandusky, OH.

Coolant change was less than 2 years ago.

I do not get an actually temp reading. Needle runs between Low & High on gauge. Normal driving needle stays about 1/4 low area. I liked answer of coolant fan not working. Will check out. Thanks!

·
Banned
13,097 Posts
Off topic: Hey, isn't Sandusky, OH where Tommy Boy was from? I love that movie....and Callahan Auto Parts!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would simply drain the coolant from the radiator and replace it with a new Honda thermostat and Honda coolant and see if the needle does not rise past half way on the gauge.

·
2007 Accord EX 2dr Coupe
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Off topic: Hey, isn't Sandusky, OH where Tommy Boy was from? I love that movie....and Callahan Auto Parts!
Never heard of Tommy Boy or Callahan Auto Pats.

I would simply drain the coolant from the radiator and replace it with a new Honda thermostat and Honda coolant and see if the needle does not rise past half way on the gauge.
My thoughts also. Tomorrow will run car stationary in garage and see if cooling fan kicks on. If it doesn't kick on, best bet it's cooling fan issue. If it does kick on, then I bet thermostat needs replacement. Thanks.

Does the cooling system also cool the transmission fluid as well? If so, would the trany fluid be at risk now?
Not sure about that. Transmission is not overheating.

Does anyone know the torque spec for the 2 thermostat bolts for thermostat if I do change it out? I'm a tech spec kind of guy. Does the kit include gasket also?

·
BACK TO THE FUTURE!!!
15,210 Posts
Does the cooling system also cool the transmission fluid as well? If so, would the trany fluid be at risk now?
the cooling system only is responsible for the engine. the tranny is on its own.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
someone on here just had a similar problem and it was the AC fan not running. I would start with the basic fan running and if it does run then thermostat and cooling fluid at the same time since you have to drain most out anyhow for thermostat.

here is the ac post:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=131810

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Needle was in the red. One mark high from maxing out. No warning lights came on console
Okay, you probably know this but I'm going to say it. When the needle is in the red, your engine is being damaged and you need to shut it off right away. By the time the engine light comes on, the damage is done.

To see if the fan is coming on, run the car for a while then pull over and let it idle with AC on high. Basically, you're stressing it into overheating if possible. Lift the hood and check to see if the fans are running. If not, try swapping around the radiator fan and AC relays (green relays in fuse box under hood). They are identical and pretty cheap if the relay is the issue.

If the issue is with the thermostat, you can feel the top and bottom radiator hoses... both should be hot. If there is a temp difference between the hoses, that indicates a thermostat stuck closed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Okay, you probably know this but I'm going to say it. When the needle is in the red, your engine is being damaged and you need to shut it off right away. By the time the engine light comes on, the damage is done.

To see if the fan is coming on, run the car for a while then pull over and let it idle with AC on high. Basically, you're stressing it into overheating if possible. Lift the hood and check to see if the fans are running. If not, try swapping around the radiator fan and AC relays (green relays in fuse box under hood). They are identical and pretty cheap if the relay is the issue.

If the issue is with the thermostat, you can feel the top and bottom radiator hoses... both should be hot. If there is a temp difference between the hoses, that indicates a thermostat stuck closed.
One of those cheap infrared laser thermometer guns from somewhere like Harbor Freight would be a good thing for him to invest in right now. It's help with checking those temps and be a handy item to have in the future.

Also, you should be able to hear that extra fan cycling on and off. Keep us posted

·
2007 Accord EX 2dr Coupe
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was a fuse! Thanks everyone for help

Today when I returned home from work I left car running in driveway with A/C running on high. Popped hood and went into house. Came back out about 15 minutes later to see if engine temp gauge was creeping higher than normal and it was. Waited for cooling fan to come on and it didn't. Pulled fuse and low and behold the 20A fuse was toast!

Drove car to AutoZone and bought a 5pk of 20A fuses for $4.90 out the door. When I popped hood and changed out cooling fan fuse I checked out my other 20A fuses. I be dog gone, my condenser fan fuse was toast also and changed it out.

Noticed on way home my A/C was blowing cold as ice air all the way home, even when stopped which it hasn't done in sometime. I thought my freon was low? Wow. Left car running in driveway with A/C on and popped hood again. Went back in house and came back out twice in 15 minute intervals to see if temp gauge was pegging out. It didn't. Stayed normal and cooling fan was running which solved over heating problem. I'm guessing condenser fan fuse solved A/C issue also.

Thanks to all the help here. By the way, check your fuses first before thinking the worst! Problem solved. :banana: You saved me over $100 or more taking it to the dealership. SUPER!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Today when I returned home from work I left car running in driveway with A/C running on high. Popped hood and went into house. Came back out about 15 minutes later to see if engine temp gauge was creeping higher than normal and it was. Waited for cooling fan to come on and it didn't. Pulled fuse and low and behold the 20A fuse was toast!

Drove car to AutoZone and bought a 5pk of 20A fuses for $4.90 out the door. When I popped hood and changed out cooling fan fuse I checked out my other 20A fuses. I be dog gone, my condenser fan fuse was toast also and changed it out.

Noticed on way home my A/C was blowing cold as ice air all the way home, even when stopped which it hasn't done in sometime. I thought my freon was low? Wow. Left car running in driveway with A/C on and popped hood again. Went back in house and came back out twice in 15 minute intervals to see if temp gauge was pegging out. It didn't. Stayed normal and cooling fan was running which solved over heating problem. I'm guessing condenser fan fuse solved A/C issue also.

Thanks to all the help here. By the way, check your fuses first before thinking the worst! Problem solved. :banana: You saved me over $100 or more taking it to the dealership. SUPER!
Glad you had it figured out. I was going to suggest the fuse or the relay. It is also rare that you lost both fuses for the fans. You may want to check the load on those circuits to determine why they are blown. The fan motors rarely go out that early. I didn't think it was the thermostat because if it was, you would have overheat problem all the time, not just stop and go traffic. I know that the temperature gauge is only an indicator but if you really had it in red, I would change the engine oil, not the coolant. Your oil could have been broken down and lose viscosity due to heat damage.

·
2007 Accord EX 2dr Coupe
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll keep a close eye on the fuses. Your correct, odd that both fuses were toast. I believe the condenser fan fuse has been toast for a while. Dealership should of caught that one when I complained my A/C wasn't up to par and they REPLACED the whole A/C motor 2yrs ago under extended warranty? They said metal shavings were clogging lines. Would of cost me over $2,000 if warranty wasn't in place. Makes me wonder now. Plus, my A/C was never throwing cold air like it is now since the fuse change, even after the new A/C motor replacement.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Glad to hear that you got it resolved. So it was fuses and not relays? I was close... in the general vicinity. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.