Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlights dim when rolling up windows which others seem to confirm is normal for Honda accords. The problem goes on that when driving, my radio will randomly shut down then turn back on. Also while driving if I go above 2500 rpms and I roll up the windows all my electrical will power down and restart at times. Today while idling I rolled up the windows and all the electrical shut down (I have a video of this but can’t upload it). I checked the connections to the battery and they are good. The battery is also relatively new, within a few months. Any help/explanation would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Do your due diligence, check the battery connections, make sure they are clean and tight. The same on the ground side at the body. Check that the ground wires from the chassis to the engine and transmission are still in place and clean and tight as well. The next step is to check the battery, it should be fully charged. Once the connections and the battery are tested good, take a look at the belt and the alternator. 99% of these issues are fixed in the steps above.

When you say all electrical shut down, did the car stop running?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
8th Gen Believer
3,686 Posts
your alternator is done. Get OEM rebuilt one or rebuild yourself or get junkyard one with low miles.
Yes. Had similar symptoms in my 8th gen. Get it done soon; it's only because you have a fairly new battery that you haven't had a total electrical failure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car doesn’t stop running but the gauge lights will all go out on the dash and the radio loses power. About a week ago I was accelerating and got slightly above 2500 rpms while rolling up my windows. As soon as I went to roll up the windows the lights on the dash went out, headlights dimmed, all the gauges dropped quickly to essentially baseline, and a slight detectable drop in speed. This all happens very quickly though, less than a second, and everything comes back on like normal without changing anything. It is transient too. I am unable to reproduce the problem until it started again today.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
You need to check all connections at the battery carefully, including looking at the cables for corrosion wicking under the plastic insulation. Verify the engine to body ground and the transmission to body ground is in place as well.

I would also recommend you get a Solar BA9, it is a simple tool that can check your battery and alternator, as well as cranking amps, it is about $50 on Amazon.

Have you added any electrical thing to the car lately and does this car have a remote start or a non factory alarm or an aftermarket radio?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts