Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2007 honda accord LX sedan.
i have a single din radio installed in the cubby.
its too low ....
i would like to install a double din radio where the factory radio is .
i saw a kit from metra but they want over $200 for it, thats way too much. am i gonna have to cut the factory radio in order to fit it in???
i am a bit handy so any suggestions would be apreciated:wink

·
Wannabe backyard mechanic
112 Posts
I don't think there's room for a double din above the climate controls, but I could be mistaken. You'd definitely have to do some cutting.

·
Registered
249 Posts
well it could be done.... I think someone on here has done it or was working on it at one point. Here is the issue, all of the hvac controls are integrated into the radio. You would need to keep the pc board behind the controls and mount them to something else this would not be an easy task.

Attachments

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
well it could be done.... I think someone on here has done it or was working on it at one point. Here is the issue, all of the hvac controls are integrated into the radio. You would need to keep the pc board behind the controls and mount them to something else this would not be an easy task.
^ this

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how about a single din radio ???
l can cut the piece highlighted in red or right under it
do i have to keep the factory radio [the rear part] in order to use the climate controls?
woluld i still need to do any pcb board modifications ??. i need to find out if i can relocate the pcb board
i really want a in dash screen but im not willing to pay $200 for a metra kit :frown

Attachments

·
Mike
841 Posts
how about a single din radio ???
l can cut the piece highlighted in red or right under it
do i have to keep the factory radio [the rear part] in order to use the climate controls?
woluld i still need to do any pcb board modifications ??. i need to find out if i can relocate the pcb board
i really want a in dash screen but im not willing to pay $200 for a metra kit :frown
A few thoughts:

1: Basic Single zone Air con is simple to program for aftermarket designers. Dual full HVAC control is NOT!

2: Every aftermarket unit that has CLAIMED to correctly implement Full Dual Zone Climate control has failed to correctly implement Hondas HVAC logic.

3: The metra kit includes a simple single zone Air Con controller, however you say you don't want to use the metra kit, I can understand that BUT how do you plan on mounting a double din aftermarket unit once you remove the OEM Radio/CD/Air unit? and you still need to find a way to control the single zone Air once the OEM Radio/Air Con unit is removed.

The buttons you circled are connected to nothing.

FYI Here are a few pictures of the Radio unit dissembled, click on them to zoom in -> /Honda/HvacPictures.html

This gives you an idea of the size of the HVAC/Radio board and what is involved in using it - note this is a Dual zone Full HVAC control unit -> /Honda/HvacRelocate2.html

It's a big job with a full HVAC unit, the metra kit is the easy way to go if you only have a simple single zone Aircon unit.

As jimijam said, either give it up and go the lower cubby - or try the metra unit. Unless you are good with electronics, soldering and like fabricating a new dash insert from scratch and have a lot of time on your hands, there are not many other satisfactory options.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts