Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forgot the exact CEL code # but it was for an evap system/o2 sensor code that was brought up.

The problem is that when the car is idle(not moving) (5speed manual): I can have that car in neutral and press on the gas the car will not rev above 4k.

Now when I drive the car can rev past 4k and shift into the gears just fine. I was told that it was a rev limiter, but this car has never had a rev limiter in the 2008 accords. The problem started when the check engine light came on and the codes read up as o2 sensor / water evap system.

Has anybody run into this issue? I need to get my emissions done and want to get this CEL fixed so I can pass.

also: when the car is rolling and in neutral or any gear with clutch held car will rev past 4k as well, the problem is only when the car is sitting still, it won't rev past 4k, and again the car never had this issue, it was always able to rev past 4k sitting still up until the CEL came on.

any input is much appreciated thank you guys/gals!

·
Mechanical engineer
101 Posts
the 4k rev limiter is perfectly fine. its to prevent over reving while sitting still to save the clutch. all manual 8th gen accords have this. you have a standing still rev limiter and a moving rev limiter. one is at 4k and the other is around 7k depending on model of car. perfectly normal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the 4k rev limiter is perfectly fine. its to prevent over reving while sitting still to save the clutch. all manual 8th gen accords have this. you have a standing still rev limiter and a moving rev limiter. one is at 4k and the other is around 7k depending on model of car. perfectly normal.
Please read my post thoroughly, as I stated before it is NOT normal. The 8th gen 4 cylinder accord starting in 2008 was made without an idle rev limiter. The car was always able to rev past 4k while standing still until a CEL came on one day overnight. Thank you for your response though

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
Help me understand why you would ever need to rev past 4k while standing still? I own the same car and have yet to try such a thing. I believe jman64cola is correct, and if you think he's wrong then just fix the CEL first and try again.

Reactions: teezythakidd

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
Help me understand why you would ever need to rev past 4k while standing still? I own the same car and have yet to try such a thing. I believe jman64cola is correct, and if you think he's wrong then just fix the CEL first and try again.
Guys... guys... he obviously wants to show off by redlining in neutral to his lady :cool: duh... OP, don't worry, I understand your struggle.

... only not really because I don't drive a standard nor do I rev my car like that LOL hey be careful though

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys... guys... he obviously wants to show off by redlining in neutral to his lady
duh... OP, don't worry, I understand your struggle.

... only not really because I don't drive a standard nor do I rev my car like that LOL hey be careful though
Lol I don't remember how I discovered it cuz I'm not into ricing out my car or racing or shit like that but I'm more concerned about passing my emissions hopefully when I get the o2 fixed it'll fix it

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't see how this is a problem. Have you ever considered that maybe they're directly related to each other? Fix the CEL and that will probably fix the other "problem". I'm sure the computer was programmed to limit engine speed in certain situations when it senses an issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well again it's not really a real problem just something I noticed when I accidentally gassed while in neutral and stand-still. Got the o2 sensor replaced, no more CEL, car passed emissions fine and everything runs great. However the Rev limit issue is still present. Confirmed with two different Honda techs and another 3rd party mechanic that the year of this 4cyl accord in m/t does not have a rev limiter yet it's acting like it is. They believe it's the MAF. I know it's been a long time but figured I'd update anyway heh

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have a 2012 EX sedan 5sp, and at stand-still I am unable to rev past 4k rpm (no CEL either); in fact, every accord 4cyl/5sp that I test-drove was like this. If it really bothers you, I think KTuner could help you out...but this appears to be a feature of the normally-operating econobox accord. I would not waste your money on a new MAF sensor.

Good luck,
Jordan

·
Registered
78 Posts
The rev limiter at 4,000 in neutral is definitely normal, and by design. Get it on ice or snow in gear with traction control off, and you'll notice it'll rev quite happily to redline. Once you clutch in, it caps you to 4,000. That's by design. You'd need a tune to get rid of it.

They have that on a lot of vehicles made in the past 10 years. It's very common.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts