1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
What do you guys think of the before and after? It definitely sounds better and seems to pull a little harder in the higher RPM. The first video shot during the daylight had stock exhaust with a little intake work.

The second video shot at night is with 2in exhaust after the cat feeding into Borla mufflers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn5wt_91ryQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRtjEt2dLd0
It definitely pulled harder in the upper rpm. The first run was about 7.3 seconds to 60 mph (with torque braking and a good start) and the second run was about 6.8 seconds to 60 (without torque braking and a bad start). If that increase in acceleration is all due to the exhaust, good for you!

I could be wrong, but it looks like you recorded your car on different roads. I just mention that because it makes the comparisons a little difficult. If the second run was done on a road with just the slightest decline compared to the first, it could have easily shaved a 1/2 second off the 0-60 time. As an aside, many years ago I video recorded a 1988 Maxima (auto) going 0-60. It normally required about 9.5 seconds to reach 60 mph. However I recorded it at night and showed only the gauges. I purposely concealed the fact I was going down a steep hill. Going down that hill, the Maxima needed only 5.5 seconds to go from 0-60. It looked real on video, but was complete bull crap.

In addition to the different roads, the first run was done during the day and was probably hotter than the second run at night. That would have also given the night run an advantage. There is no question the second video pulled harder than the first. It is just difficult to determine how much of that was due to the exhaust and how much was due to other factors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It definitely pulled harder in the upper rpm. The first run was about 7.3 seconds to 60 mph (with torque braking and a good start) and the second run was about 6.8 seconds to 60 (without torque braking and a bad start). If that increase in acceleration is all due to the exhaust, good for you!

I could be wrong, but it looks like you recorded your car on different roads. I just mention that because it makes the comparisons a little difficult. If the second run was done on a road with just the slightest decline compared to the first, it could have easily shaved a 1/2 second off the 0-60 time. As an aside, many years ago I video recorded a 1988 Maxima (auto) going 0-60. It normally required about 9.5 seconds to reach 60 mph. However I recorded it at night and showed only the gauges. I purposely concealed the fact I was going down a steep hill. Going down that hill, the Maxima needed only 5.5 seconds to go from 0-60. It looked real on video, but was complete bull crap.

In addition to the different roads, the first run was done during the day and was probably hotter than the second run at night. That would have also given the night run an advantage. There is no question the second video pulled harder than the first. It is just difficult to determine how much of that was due to the exhaust and how much was due to other factors.
Good points. It was about 20 degrees cooler in the second video. Both roads are very similar. If anything the road in the second video was slightly downhill. Oh well...I was mostly going for sound anyway!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts