Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry im kind of a noobie :paranoid: so this probably sounds like a stupid question.
but uh does a CAI increase the mpg? and also how much hp would it add?

·
2008 Acura TL-S
474 Posts
The CAI will slightly increase horsepower, which depends on every car, what other mods you have, etc. Typically, with just the CAI, you can expect HP gains from 3 HP to about 7 HP.

The CAI will probably not increase gas mileage, as some manufacturers may claim. This is because compared to the stock air intake system, the CAI will let more air into the engine (good and bad). It will let more air in, which is good, but that air is also dirtier, which is bad. The more the air, the more the oxygen getting into the intake, which will increase the amount of fuel burned based on the air-fuel ratio.

So in short, more air = more oxygen, more power, and more fuel consumption.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The CAI will slightly increase horsepower, which depends on every car, what other mods you have, etc. Typically, with just the CAI, you can expect HP gains from 3 HP to about 7 HP.

The CAI will probably not increase gas mileage, as some manufacturers may claim. This is because compared to the stock air intake system, the CAI will let more air into the engine (good and bad). It will let more air in, which is good, but that air is also dirtier, which is bad. The more the air, the more the oxygen getting into the intake, which will increase the amount of fuel burned based on the air-fuel ratio.

that's weird i always was told and thought more air was better.dirtier?? i hope people out there are using clean filters and are using them to begin with ha ha ha ha
common man its a i4. u act like its gonna get mpg like a v8 or something.LOL

·
out of control
1,611 Posts

Not really. Me and Berg have identical cars. Both of our cars are i4's. I get superior mileage EVEN when I'm driving HARD. I am not even at half a tank and I have 200 miles and he has to work hard to get 200 at half.

A cold air intake DOES make a difference. I can definitely say there's noticeable acceleration.

·
08 White Honda Accord
196 Posts
Does anyone know of a CAI for the 08 Accord sedan 4cylinder?

·
kirin
24 Posts
that's weird i always was told and thought more air was better.dirtier?? i hope people out there are using clean filters and are using them to begin with ha ha ha ha
common man its a i4. u act like its gonna get mpg like a v8 or something.LOL
i had CAI in my old matrix, and it consumed about 25% more gas then when i had stock...so.....no CAI on my 8th gen yet

·
Registered
724 Posts
More air, more fuel, less mileage. Every car is different and will have different results.

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
10,126 Posts
It is highly unlikely that a CAI will increase MPG. After all it is a performance part. I suppose it is possible but that is not the intent so don't buy one for increased mileage, buy it for increased performance. The increased performance will generally be minor but there is an increase.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Not really. Me and Berg have identical cars. Both of our cars are i4's. I get superior mileage EVEN when I'm driving HARD. I am not even at half a tank and I have 200 miles and he has to work hard to get 200 at half.

A cold air intake DOES make a difference. I can definitely say there's noticeable acceleration.
Only 200 miles at a half tank... :lmao:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts