Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a used 2009 EXL coupe w/navi in Jul 2013. After a half year drive I just feel that the fuel consumption is higher than expected. I live on Long Island and commute to school 5 miles one way everyday. I drive mostly on Nesconset Highway which has a 55mph limit and several traffic lights, and also some local roads with stop signs. I hit the gas gently most of the time but the factory installed calculator shows that the mpg is around 19-20... Isn't that too low for a 4 cylinder accord? I remember it should be 21/31 or something. I tried calculating the mpg by dividing the miles driven between two fuel top-ups by the number of gallons for the second top-up, even worse. I did the 4-wheel alignment and checked the tire pressure and everything was fine. Is this normal?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm not surprised. If there is enough stop/go or hills to drive on, your mileage will probably suffer quite a bit, the car is quite a bit on the heavy side haha.

I live near San Francisco, so the hills when im there get my mileage, but on average, all city i'll get around 20MPG at the very lowest. The highest has been 35MPG driving down the 5 to LA. On average though, I get about ~25-26MPG with mixed.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I hit the gas gently most of the time but the factory installed calculator shows that the mpg is around 19-20.
I have a 2010 exl and I don't have this option :(

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Your car is very normal. You have a 5 mile commute. That says it all right there. Shorts trips are terrible for fuel mileage. The engine runs cold most of the time plus as you admitted you encounter several lights on a 55 mph road. Each time you stop you must accelerate all the way back up to 55 mph. Any car will get poor fuel mileage in that environment (except for a hybrid).

·
Registered
396 Posts
I commute to school as well and its about 20-25 miles away. I get about 30ish on the freeway with very little stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not surprised. If there is enough stop/go or hills to drive on, your mileage will probably suffer quite a bit, the car is quite a bit on the heavy side haha.

I live near San Francisco, so the hills when im there get my mileage, but on average, all city i'll get around 20MPG at the very lowest. The highest has been 35MPG driving down the 5 to LA. On average though, I get about ~25-26MPG with mixed.
Thanks for the information. Yea I guess it's probably the weight and the stop signs. We don't have a lot of hills here, though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts