Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, the wire around the positive terminal on my 09 accord, corroded and broke off. I took off the positive terminal black cap and cut off the copper stub left connected to the positive terminal cables. There was two cables connected to this piece of copper a black and a white cable. my problem is they seem to be very short to bolt on a new positive terminal. is there a solution to my problem something I can do to fix myself. Or should I just call triple a and tow to the dealership.
thanks

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
Hi guys, the wire around the positive terminal on my 09 accord, corroded and broke off. I took off the positive terminal black cap and cut off the copper stub left connected to the positive terminal cables. There was two cables connected to this piece of copper a black and a white cable. my problem is they seem to be very short to bolt on a new positive terminal. is there a solution to my problem something I can do to fix myself. Or should I just call triple a and tow to the dealership.
thanks
Do you have any pictures?

The dealership will likely just replace the entire positive side cable. You could splice, but a new cable would likely be better.

Scott C.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Wow... I replace my battery a year ago with what i have in my sig... Note!!! Honda terminals are a wee over-sized for US batteries. I replaced my Ground to body with a 12" that had a bigger head for the terminal, and fit US SAE batteries like a glove.

As for the positive I got a cap or shim to fit in between for a good fit. Usually you do not get corrosion, unless there is a crack in the battery case.

·
"Old School" Shifter
380 Posts
Replaced my orginal battery last summer (2013) with no problems. (Walmart Maxx) Usually battery corrosion starts to build up when the battery is on its way out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally decided to call triple A and tow it to the dealership, cost free. They assessed that would cost $330 for parts(actual cost is $25) labor and taxes to replace the whole positive terminal wire. I bought my own after-market battery. Accords original battery suck, do not recommend Honda battery or anything electrical! Accord positive terminal battery wire is badly designed and has a enormous repairing cost. I am very unhappy with my Honda Accord, I dont believe anymore accord is reliable at least 2009 accord lx-p.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
@tony: Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your 5 year-old original battery. Part of maintenance is that you are supposed to check your battery and cables from time to time and use a protectorant to prevent/inhibit corrosion.

Tony, where do you live? In Arizona, batteries last about 2 years because of the heat.

But no matter where you live, lifting the hood from time to time and checking your fluid levels and conditions is a good thing to do. Whenever I see corrosion starting on a cable or battery post, I clean everything up with baking soda, water, and an old toothbrush.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts