Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted some more information about converting an 2009 accord coupe into a standard transmission. It is understood that such mods are very labor intensive and expensive, but never the less I've heard of people doing this and am interested. Some say you can accomplish this for under 3 grand parts and labor. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Banned
130 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to trade in your accord?:dunno: Honda makes plenty of 5 speed manual coupes. Unless you have a sedan, and you wanted to do a 6-6 swap:banana:

·
Registered
158 Posts
First of all, I have no idea where you would go to even have something like this done. I know of no repair shop that would attempt something like that. As far as cost goes, I would guess there is no way you could get this done for parts and labor (if you actually found a shop crazy enough to do it) for $3,000, especially if it's a V6 conversion. Obviously whatever warranty you have remaining would be null and void with Honda, and it's doubtful you would get a shop to warranty to their work. Resale value would plummet to nothing, as no one would want to purchase a used car that had such a serious modification done to it.

Really, as the poster above me said, this is one of those ideas that just makes zero financial sense over buying a car with a manual transmission in the first place. Not what you want to hear, but honestly I can't see any benefit to doing this, even if you had the money, over just buying a car that comes with a manual transmission from the factory.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Doing auto to manual conversions only makes sense on older cars or if the model you have wasn't offered in manual. It's much cheaper and easier to take the trade in hit and just trade it in for what you want.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Doing auto to manual conversions only makes sense on older cars or if the model you have wasn't offered in manual. It's much cheaper and easier to take the trade in hit and just trade it in for what you want.
Agreed the cost of the switch would be double what it would be then if you were to trade for the car you want.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
+1 to all the comments above. dont even try this on modern cars...you will NOT find it for under $3000 i guarantee you that. $5000, maybe if you are lucky. I do know of shops that can do this kind of work though in socal. if you're serious about the conversion contact me for the shops and even if you're not in socal it'll be worth the drive here for these shops since you probably wont find any around your area.

·
Registered
512 Posts
If you are going for it, may as well go for like a transmission from a lambo.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I figured this is what I was going to hear, my intentions right now are cost analysis. I'm weighing the options between this and an older pre-1980 muscle car. The people who I know who did the conversions bought the parts and did most of the labor them selves, which is why it only cost 3,000. It seems apparent that if I were to switch to a manual, it would be better to invest in a newer v6 standard and leave my baby alone. Thanks for all the information.

·
7th Gear
3,424 Posts
Get a pre 1970 Muscle car. :thmsup:

BEFORE all the added emission controls.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
I figured this is what I was going to hear, my intentions right now are cost analysis. I'm weighing the options between this and an older pre-1980 muscle car. The people who I know who did the conversions bought the parts and did most of the labor them selves, which is why it only cost 3,000. It seems apparent that if I were to switch to a manual, it would be better to invest in a newer v6 standard and leave my baby alone. Thanks for all the information.
Those are effectively conversion kits where someone else has done the engineering of putting the right pieces together, or at least specify the required pieces for others to purchase rather figure out yourself.

·
NJDR
555 Posts
my boy did it on his 7th gen V6 accord ... only thing is with they 8thgens its a lot more complicated because the automatic has a different compression rating then the manual does so idk how all that would work out plus we have the VCM =( .. my best suggestion is either like people said trade it in or hit up your local junk yards to see if they have any 6-6 cars theres and buy the motor,tranny, ecu from that and maybee trade yours in ... all deppends up to you man

goodluck though :)

·
Honda Nation
1,679 Posts
The 8th gen V6 Accords use two engines, two completely different ECMs, two different instrument clusters for the manual and automatic (redlines are different)

Maybe it's NOT impossible, but it would depend on your definition of impossible.

If by buying a J35A to replace the J35Z2 that's under the hood right now, along with the proper wiring, computers, and other accessories, by all means, it's possible!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Resale would SUC, as it would not pay for its self.

The only way to make it good is if you had a totaled 6-6 for swap.

Though don't be messing with the VINs.

Some states will be harsh on an engine swap without everything properly setup.

Not just ECU, tranny, engine.... exhaust and complete wiring. Plus an inspection to boot!

In California, it was easy to put engines from other makes for a swap, but some time in the 80's things changed.

I had a 65 Riv with 425 dual quads... the inspector failed me because my air cleaner had holes drilled around the base.

I thought they were stock, as the original owner (Died at 80) was meticulous.

It took me a few months to dig up a nice dual quad air cleaner... it was $500.00 at the time and hard to find.

I prolly should have just had the base welded and re-chromed for about the price, but that was how picky them inspectors were at the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 8th gen V6 Accords use two engines, two completely different ECMs, two different instrument clusters for the manual and automatic (redlines are different)

Maybe it's NOT impossible, but it would depend on your definition of impossible.

If by buying a J35A to replace the J35Z2 that's under the hood right now, along with the proper wiring, computers, and other accessories, by all means, it's possible!
Also, the transmissions are differnet weights adn the suspension is different as well. Not to mention the interior moldings inside the car. I think the 6-6 transmission replacement is more than 3K alone if you just need a new one because the old one broke.

·
Honda Nation
1,679 Posts
Also, the transmissions are differnet weights adn the suspension is different as well. Not to mention the interior moldings inside the car. I think the 6-6 transmission replacement is more than 3K alone if you just need a new one because the old one broke.
Weight is within a hundred pounds of each other so that is a moot point - both automatic and manual V6 Accords share the same suspension. And besides the instrument cluster the interiors are exactly the same if you get the auto or manual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So it just so happens I now have a totalled 6 6 with 3800 miles on the engine and 20000 on my transmission so it's hard for me to walk away from my car lol does anything wire related have to swaped under the dash? Has anybody completed one of these swaps or will I be the first haha I'm going to really need your guys help along the way

1 - 16 of 16 Posts