Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

09 I4 Accord Harmonic Noise: ANC/Engine Mount Problem?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  rv8000 
#1 ·
I purchased a used 09 Accord a year and a half ago at 50k miles (now @ 63k), and in the past 6 months I've begin to notice a weird harmonic noise; I did initially notice the same noise the previous summer so it is not something new but now seems to be much louder than it use to. The noise (or possibly vibration) happens roughly between 1000-1800 rpm and between 25-50 mph. I first thought it was the tires but after buying brand new tires this past week the noise is still there and even more noticeable now that I have a set of nice and quiet tires. The issues appears when cruising with my foot off the gas or slightly on to maintain speeds, it doesn't happen when I'm accelerating. The noise is also out of sync with the tire rotations as it is more a slow "whirring" sort of noise.

I'm very sensitive to noise and often find my range of hearing to be a bit wider than most people so this noise is driving me INSANE. I just want to have a quiet ride as the performance of the car itself is great.

I've tried resetting the ANC system and Disabling it while driving and it makes no difference in the noise, so I'm leaning towards there being an issue with the system and/or speakers as well. The only other thing that I've come across in my research is that it could possibly be due to the engine mounts creating vibrations as well. Any ideas, solutions, or other steps I could take to narrow the issue down? Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
A whining/harmonic sound can come from the power steering pump, check your power steering pump for this noise. Ask someone to rotate the wheel while the hood is open and you try to listen to it. Happened with me last year, came out to be a leaky power steering hose that drained all the power steering fluid....as a result the pump was running without any fluid and was creating such sound. keep an eye on the ps fluid for some days.

#3 ·
I will most certainly check this out tomorrow. One question though, the noise seems to be related to the physical movement of the car, I've even taken my hands and feet off the wheel/pedals and just roll and the noise is still there; can the pump cause that noise regardless of these conditions? I've also noticed the warmer it is outside the louder the noise is and the more frequently it seems to occur.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.