Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Wisdom Born of Age
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the Honda service bulletins they adivised that they have been using 0W- 20 oil in Japan since 2001 because of its superior cold weather protection. It goes on to say that they're coming out soon with a job aid that shows which current Honda engines using 5W-20 can also use 0W-20. This was back in December, has anyone heard anything since?

·
port & polish everything
1,698 Posts
i don't think this is anything new, 0w-20 is generally considered interchangeable with 5w-20, i've used 0w-20 on and off since 2003..

·
Wisdom Born of Age
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
However, until Honda autherizes its use, they can void the warranty if engine damage occurs. Just curious outersquare, did you notice any improvement in starting, power or gas mleage when you used 0w - 20?

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,915 Posts
My 04 Accord EX never saw anything but 0W20 from 3500 miles on. 5W20 can be dino, blend, or synthetic, 0W20 is synthetic. As mentioned they are interchangeable. All the 0 signifies is that the oil will flow faster in extremely cold temps. At operating temp both are 20.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
My 04 Accord EX never saw anything but 0W20 from 3500 miles on. 5W20 can be dino, blend, or synthetic, 0W20 is synthetic. As mentioned they are interchangeable. All the 0 signifies is that the oil will flow faster in extremely cold temps. At operating temp both are 20.
++ My Accord has been running Mobil 1 0W-20 since it's first oil change at 7500 miles. There's a reason M1 0W-20 doesn't come in 5 quarts jugs, only in little 1 quart bottles, and hence, more expensive. It's real Group 4-5 synthetic, none of the hydrocracked dino like the current 5W-20

·
Where to start???
341 Posts
I can't even find the stuff here in Toronto. Says meets all warranty requirements for Ford, Toyota, Honda etc...don't see why it would pose an issue. Does anyone actually notice any gas mileage improvements with it?

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
Just wait, soon Honda will be going to 0w15, 0w10, and thinner. Honda pushed the SAE to fully define these categories of oils.

Under no circumstances should any of these new super-thin oils be used in older cars until Honda comes out with any official notices of such.

Starting soon, for the best 5w20 and 0w20, look for GM's Dexos1 approvals.

·
port & polish everything
1,698 Posts
However, until Honda autherizes its use, they can void the warranty if engine damage occurs. Just curious outersquare, did you notice any improvement in starting, power or gas mleage when you used 0w - 20?
it all drove the same to me

even when i went from the factory fill to 0w-20 on my 2010

you might need a lab with rollers/dyno to measure the difference

·
Read Only
26 Posts
has anyone been using amsoil 0w-20? it's supposed to give:

"Normal Service– Up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

Severe Service– Up to 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first."

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,915 Posts
However, until Honda authorizes its use, they can void the warranty if engine damage occurs.

That is incorrect, 0W20 would not void a warranty nor would 5W30. Honda would have to prove that the oil caused a problem which it can not. That is unless you were very low on oil and that's operator malfunction.

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
I use the M1 5w-30 ...5000 clean suntin like thative noticed thT it runs smoother at the higher rpms
fixed
I use the Mobil Clean 5000 5w-30 ...SOMETHING like that. I've noticed that it runs smoother at the higher rpms
Mobil Clean 5000 is NOT mobil1, i.e. it is not synthetic.

P.S. You're "supposed" to be using 5w20.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts