Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Due to a recent unfortunate event my 09' Accord LX-S is now a total loss. A car carrier truck backed up and scraped my whole passenger side messing up the rear suspension.
I am in need of a new car as they are giving me $7000 for my car and going to take away my rental Friday. I have had my eye on the new Accord and was going to wait for the 2019 model to come out to really start looking but now I am forced the make the decision earlier.
Sport vs Ex, are the extras in the EX worth the higher price tag? I like the blue in the sport, as well as the rims, interior leather steering wheel, aluminum pedals etc..
In the EX I really value the BSM and RCTA. Each have their own benefits and I just want to make a good decision for a car I will be owning.
Also would getting the EX $4000+ off MSRP feasible?

Thanks!

·
Registered
286 Posts
You also get noise reducing wheels, acoustic glasses including the front sides, more comfortable ride, if they are important to you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You also get noise reducing wheels, acoustic glasses including the front sides, more comfortable ride, if they are important to you.

I knew about the wheel, but didn't know about the acoustic glass and a more comfortable ride is important to me so I would like to look into this. Do you happen to have a source for this, I want to read about it some more.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I knew about the wheel, but didn't know about the acoustic glass and a more comfortable ride is important to me so I would like to look into this. Do you happen to have a source for this, I want to read about it some more.

Thanks
2018 Honda Accord Press Kit- Body and Exterior - Accord - Honda News

2018 Honda Accord Press Kit- Chassis - Accord - Honda News

Some of the information conflicts with the service information, owner's manual, and website such as:

1. All Accord trims (including the LX) have noise-reducing resonators in the wheels - not just the EX and above.

2. The powertrain press release says only the Touring 1.5T and 2.0T get a SPORT mode, but that's not correct.

3. The press release implies that neither Sport model has the "advanced" noise reduction package that the EX and up have, but the Sport 2.0T does since it builds on the EX trim.

·
Registered
181 Posts
just compare the models here:

https://automobiles.honda.com/accord-sedan#specifications

There is quite a bit of a difference. The Sport 1.5 is based on the LX trim. Most of the Sport bits are cosmetic add-ons (exception of larger brakes/stabilizer bars) they are easy changes to add to an EX after the fact where as many of the extra EX features are not so easy to add, and would cost far more than the $1690 difference in MSRP, the sunroof alone is probably worth that, if thats your thing. If you are buying this to own and keep for awhile, the EX is a better idea and add some of the cosmetic bits in the future as budget allows.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I am still rather concerned about fuel dilution in the 1.5 and Honda’s apparently ignoring the problem.

At this stage, I would only get the 2.0

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Sport > EX imo

Thats just me though ?
In terms of features (and performance), the Sport 2.0T > EX, but the Sport 1.5T < EX.

If I had to choose between the Sport 1.5T and the EX, I'd have to choose the EX because of all the extra features even though I like the Sport's wheels.

I am still rather concerned about fuel dilution in the 1.5 and Honda’s apparently ignoring the problem.

At this stage, I would only get the 2.0
There are hundreds of thousands of 1.5T Civics, CR-V's, and Accords that have been running around for over 2-1/2 years now and I've yet to see any of these vehicles on the back of a tow truck. That's a good sign. :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I really enjoy my Sport because of the DJRYH, SETH6D2, and 4UFE2GYF features.

You gain a couple mpg w EX and better pothole taking, at the expense of better styling.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts
2018 Honda Accord Press Kit- Body and Exterior - Accord - Honda News

2018 Honda Accord Press Kit- Chassis - Accord - Honda News

Some of the information conflicts with the service information, owner's manual, and website such as:

1. All Accord trims (including the LX) have noise-reducing resonators in the wheels - not just the EX and above.

2. The powertrain press release says only the Touring 1.5T and 2.0T get a SPORT mode, but that's not correct.

3. The press release implies that neither Sport model has the "advanced" noise reduction package that the EX and up have, but the Sport 2.0T does since it builds on the EX trim.
Even 2.0T Sport is not a full upgrade from EX.

Sport does not have noise reducing wheel. Very certain about this. Look up ebay and see the track inside the wheel. Both Enkei (2.0T) and the Chinese state-owned CITIC Dicastal (1.5T) Sport wheels do not.

Fender divider and the thick foam (they call it fender enclosure) between front door and fender are missing. Sport (2.0 included) has a thin plastic and EX and up has a thick foam. Look at parts catalog and look at the car into fender gap from door side, stick your finger in there and feel it.

The front side glasses are different. Sport has 1 layer tempered glass and EX and up has 3 layers laminated acoustic glasses. Look at the actual car.

The door insulator is different too.

The floor mats are the same on 1.5T and 2.0T, which tells me it's not noise blocking.

I have a 2.0T Sport and feel that I should get an EX-L or touring. I was a believer of 2.0T Sport is built on EX trim. In fact it's far from the truth.

2.0T Sport > EX on performance, but < EX in comfort features.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Sport > EX imo

Thats just me though ?
In terms of features (and performance), the Sport 2.0T > EX, but the Sport 1.5T < EX.

If I had to choose between the Sport 1.5T and the EX, I'd have to choose the EX because of all the extra features even though I like the Sport's wheels.
Thats why i said its just me

I went with the 1.5 sport because all that extra wasnt necessary or useful for me. Remote start added free and im good

·
Captain Slow
153 Posts
It's a close call but I think I don't want 19" wheels and the bad ride and mpg hit more than I don't want a moonroof. I'd go with the EX.
The ride isn't at all bad. The ride in my 2018 Accord with 19" wheels is better than it was in my 9th-gen Accord with 18" wheels. It was one of the first things I noticed. With that said, between the 1.5 Sport and EX, I'd buy the EX for the amenities alone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Sport has 19 inch sport tires which are more expensive than the 17 inch on EX. On goodyear website the 19 inch tire with 45k tread life is $200 while you can get 17 inch tire with 85k miles tread life for $133. Not sure about fuel dilution in the 1.5t in the Accord. The engine is different as it is a vtec turbo rather than regular turbo on cr-v.

sv11

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
All else being equal the lower the profile of the tire the rougher the ride. The 19's are lower than the 17's and in theory, and according to various owner's reports, ride rougher than the 17's.

·
Registered
286 Posts
All else being equal the lower the profile of the tire the rougher the ride. The 19's are lower than the 17's and in theory, and according to various owner's reports, ride rougher than the 17's.
Plus noise transmission is horrible on Sport. I experienced worst road noise for 10+ years (worst than a 2016 Civic) which, on interstate where construction was going on (65mph), it sounded like sitting next to a jet engine. The noise woke my kids up. The last time I had this loud noise was a 99 Civic Si.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone know how the handling of the Sport or Touring compares to the EX? I have a 2018 EX and while it drives fine on a straightaway and slight bends.... if I drive it hard into a curve, the the front end dips like a bucking bronco - definitely doesn't corner very well.

For reference, my previous car was a 2014 Fusion SE and it handled way better. I also test drove the 2018 Camry XSE 4 cyl and thought it cornered a lot better as well.

All this said, I haven't really heard anyone else complaining about the EX's handling, but maybe that's cuz folks don't buy it for handling in the first place.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts