Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Anyone know how the handling of the Sport or Touring compares to the EX? I have a 2018 EX and while it drives fine on a straightaway and slight bends.... if I drive it hard into a curve, the the front end dips like a bucking bronco - definitely doesn't corner very well.

For reference, my previous car was a 2014 Fusion SE and it handled way better. I also test drove the 2018 Camry XSE 4 cyl and thought it cornered a lot better as well.

All this said, I haven't really heard anyone else complaining about the EX's handling, but maybe that's cuz folks don't buy it for handling in the first place.
Your last sentence is key - 99.999% of people don't buy a mid-sized family sedan for competitive racing. There will always be the curious outlier who takes their stock or modified Accord to the drag strip or autocross, but that's rare.

With that said, you don't necessarily have to participate in an autocross even to enjoy great handling which can inspire confidence and afford better handling in emergency situations - an extra 0.1 g of lateral grip might be just enough to swerve out of the path of a hazard.

The differences in performance between Accord trims are fractional at best. If you look at the results of Car and Driver instrumented tests, you'll see only very minor differences in noise levels and handling between the various trims that most people wouldn't notice without sequential A-B comparisons and test equipment to detect those minor differences.

The difference in performance between an Accord LX and an Accord Sport which has wider tires, bigger wheels, stiffer springs, stiffer stabilizer bars, larger front brake rotors, etc. is nowhere near as big as the difference between, say, a Civic LX and a Civic Type R (or even a Civic Si).

The Accord has weight and a family-friendly suspension working against it when it comes to handling - no matter which trim you choose. Simply put, no Accord is designed to take 90º turns at imprudent speeds.

Going back to instrumented testing, all (remaining) mainstream, mid-sized sedans are decent handlers for everyday driving these days. Very little separates the worst from the best.

·
2018 EXL 1.5 white nonav
239 Posts
Anyone know how the handling of the Sport or Touring compares to the EX? I have a 2018 EX and while it drives fine on a straightaway and slight bends.... if I drive it hard into a curve, the the front end dips like a bucking bronco - definitely doesn't corner very well.
Hmm. Have not yet experienced this, but have not yet taken it up for an exercise on Mulholland Drive. 2018 is great around town, different from gen8. But it does remain FWD so is not going to be like a BMW under heavy stress.

I'm more interested in whether parts start to snap or fall off under stress. Just so it holds together, I expect handling is at least what one can live with, all things considered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Guys, thanks for the insight on the driving dynamics. I definitely didn't buy the car to frequently drive it aggressively. I just find it odd that front end dips and levels out lazily in tight turns, like on freeway on-ramps. I noticed this same driving dynamic when i drove the CRV. I suspect the Touring model may possibly handle much better, due to its different suspension. Obviously, the handling issue wasn't enough to keep me from buying the car. And yeah, maybe my perspective for driving dynamics is exremely skewed cuz due to the CTS Vsport, BMW 535 and 335 (which all handled like they were on rails) that I have owned as well. Of course those cars served a different purpose and this accord is 100% for commuting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks again everyone for the advice, I am more interested in a reduction of noise. EX will probably be the trim of choice I would go for. I really love the sport rims and little tweaks that add to slightly better driving dynamics and I can't afford above a 1.5t EX since thats at the border already. I am hoping I get it to 25k OTD but most likely will be 26k OTD from quotes I have been receiving.
My insurance is being a pain and has not given me the payout yet but will find out later today. Hoping to get the new car this weekend when the sales are out for July 4th/end of month!

Side not what can I buy to make the EX start to drive like the sport? stabilizer bar? bigger brake? How much do these usually go for, I have never upgraded parts in a car before. Main things I am looking to add is the black front bumper and ceramic tints since FL is hot.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Thanks again everyone for the advice, I am more interested in a reduction of noise. EX will probably be the trim of choice I would go for. I really love the sport rims and little tweaks that add to slightly better driving dynamics and I can't afford above a 1.5t EX since thats at the border already. I am hoping I get it to 25k OTD but most likely will be 26k OTD from quotes I have been receiving.
My insurance is being a pain and has not given me the payout yet but will find out later today. Hoping to get the new car this weekend when the sales are out for July 4th/end of month!

Side not what can I buy to make the EX start to drive like the sport? stabilizer bar? bigger brake? How much do these usually go for, I have never upgraded parts in a car before. Main things I am looking to add is the black front bumper and ceramic tints since FL is hot.
Based on Car and Driver instrumented tests, there's only 1 dB difference between the Touring and Sport at idle, WOT, and 70 MPH cruising. A 1 dB difference is barely detectable during an A-B comparison, let alone when getting out of one vehicle and into another. Technically, some trims are quieter than others, but the differences are very subtle. Any perceivable differences will be mostly psychological based on appearance, feel, and the frequencies of sounds - not the overall loudness. The loudest Accord is not dramatically louder than the quietest Accord.

It would cost thousands to put the Sport parts on the EX, but again, the differences are subtle and more easily detected with test instruments than human senses. The most "sporty" part of the Accord Sport is the appearance (wheels, upholstery, grille, pedals, leather steering wheel, spoiler).

Also is there any way to change steering wheel to leather? or only a wheel cover?
You can install the heated leather accessory steering wheel.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am pleasantly surprised how smooth my car drives on the 19 inch wheels. Cruises like a luxury car and revs like crazy when I feel the need with the manual transmission...love it!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
In the market to lease a new accord and trying to decide between the sport and ex. I love the looks of the sport and can live without heated seats and smart entry,but i really would like blind spot monitoring and remote start.Has anyone been in a similar situation and which one did you go with and do you regret your choice.Thanks

·
Registered
751 Posts
You need to decide between the 1.5 and 2.0 first. The 2.0 sport has blind spot monitoring and other features whereas I believe the 1.5 does not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry should have specified, the 1.5
The big thing in my mind was the 17" wheels on the EX vs. 19" on the Sport. Big difference in ride, noise, and the likelihood of curb rash at the expense of at-the-limit handling. Blind spot monitoring was also important to me. On the other hand, the paddle shifters on the Sport CVT give you a lot more manual control than the S setting on the EX.

·
Registered
971 Posts
The big thing in my mind was the 17" wheels on the EX vs. 19" on the Sport. Big difference in ride, noise, and the likelihood of curb rash at the expense of at-the-limit handling. Blind spot monitoring was also important to me. On the other hand, the paddle shifters on the Sport CVT give you a lot more manual control than the S setting on the EX.
I've learned that no matter how careful you are with avoiding curb rash, if you go to a full-service car wash, they'll go ahead and scratch up your wheels for you for no extra cost.

·
Banned
2019 Accord Sport 1.5T
27 Posts
i really would like blind spot monitoring
My wife's RAV4 has BSM and neither my 2010 Fit nor my 19 Accord Sport 1.5 have it.

I'm fine with that because I actually prefer to make visual contact with object that I might collide with so I bought these: Amazon.com: LivTee Blind Spot Mirror, 2" Round HD Glass Frameless Convex Rear View Mirror with wide angle Adjustable Stick for Cars SUV and Trucks, Pack of 2: Automotive. All one had to do is look, and boom there's your blind spot monitor.

I prefer to stick them on the lower inside corner of the mirror though.

Having said all that, a manual transmission was a must for me. So there's that.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts