Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to tackle one of the lovely rattles in my '12 Coupe today. Yes, you can take the car into the dealer to complete the TSB, but i've read of limited success with that. the second option is to completely take out the rear deck, soundproof the crap out of everything, and reinstall. That involves going to the dealer to get replacement C pillar clips, and actually doing work...

Or you can do this. Go to Lowes, Home Depot, Ace, whatever, and get some pipe insulation. Cut 1 piece long enough to reach from the edge of the third brake light housing to the edge of the C pillar. Then, cut that into quarters - like a quarter pipe, NOT lengthwise (maybe something a little smaller like 1/5 so you can get more of it hidden than i did). You'll only need 2 of the quarters (or whatever you decided to cut them into), one for one side of the third brake light and the other for the other side of the brake light. I chose not to do one long piece because obviously i wouldnt want to obstruct the light. then just shove one of the pieces of pipe insulation on each side of the light between the rear glass and the deck, and you're good to go. I have some pics below so you can see what I'm talking about. You'd have to be looking for it from the inside to even know it's there and you can't see it from the outside if you shove it far enough down there (tinted windows help too).

I'll eventually get around to removing the deck and putting some kind of insulation over the whole rear deck, but until then, this is a pretty simple fix that doesn't look rigged or involve just shoving some old towel back there.

I drove around for about 15-20 minutes with the bass and sub up to 6 and no rattles. hopefully it holds up.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
This issue has been driving me nuts for some time now. I have had mine into the dealer to get TSB fixed, and needless to say it did nothing.

So did you just place it on either side of the 3rd brake light? I got a little confused reading through that. I am about to drive to the store this very second, I'm so sick of that damn rattle.

Oh happy first post by the way! :wave:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This issue has been driving me nuts for some time now. I have had mine into the dealer to get TSB fixed, and needless to say it did nothing.

So did you just place it on either side of the 3rd brake light? I got a little confused reading through that. I am about to drive to the store this very second, I'm so sick of that damn rattle.

Oh happy first post by the way! :wave:
thanks! yea, there's one of those on each side. after driving around some more, i've noticed that i can still hear some rattles when the volume is way up on some songs, but it's much much better than before. like i said, i plan on eventually taking the whole thing out and adding sound dampening material to it, but this is a great fix until then.

·
09 2DR SMR EX - Aphrodite
53 Posts
Decided to tackle one of the lovely rattles in my '12 Coupe today. Yes, you can take the car into the dealer to complete the TSB, but i've read of limited success with that. the second option is to completely take out the rear deck, soundproof the crap out of everything, and reinstall. That involves going to the dealer to get replacement C pillar clips, and actually doing work...

Or you can do this. Go to Lowes, Home Depot, Ace, whatever, and get some pipe insulation. Cut 1 piece long enough to reach from the edge of the third brake light housing to the edge of the C pillar. Then, cut that into quarters - like a quarter pipe, NOT lengthwise (maybe something a little smaller like 1/5 so you can get more of it hidden than i did). You'll only need 2 of the quarters (or whatever you decided to cut them into), one for one side of the third brake light and the other for the other side of the brake light. I chose not to do one long piece because obviously i wouldnt want to obstruct the light. then just shove one of the pieces of pipe insulation on each side of the light between the rear glass and the deck, and you're good to go. I have some pics below so you can see what I'm talking about. You'd have to be looking for it from the inside to even know it's there and you can't see it from the outside if you shove it far enough down there (tinted windows help too).

I'll eventually get around to removing the deck and putting some kind of insulation over the whole rear deck, but until then, this is a pretty simple fix that doesn't look rigged or involve just shoving some old towel back there.

I drove around for about 15-20 minutes with the bass and sub up to 6 and no rattles. hopefully it holds up.
thanks for the post brother but I as well am a bit confused where the piping goes. post more pictures please :thumbsup: I would love this as temporary solution. :thmsup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dont bother taking out the deck lid, i did and it still rattles at time, i dynomatted everything too. I even did all the tsb. In the end it was better but for the time effort and broken parts i had doing this, it just wasnt worth it

When all was done, i broke one of the mounts of the c pillar, the break light socket and bulb, and cracked off the lower portion of the break light housing, rattles much less but not 100% . I suspect some of the rattle is coming from behind the c pillar too

Foam it like the OP said and call it done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the confusing post...

So basically you have 2 of these, one for each side of the third brake light.

And just shove one down on each side of the third brake light with the curve of the pipe insulation curving upward toward the rear glass. You're almost rolling it around the back edge of the rear deck.

hopefully that helps

·
Registered
275 Posts
Dont bother taking out the deck lid, i did and it still rattles at time, i dynomatted everything too. I even did all the tsb. In the end it was better but for the time effort and broken parts i had doing this, it just wasnt worth it

When all was done, i broke one of the mounts of the c pillar, the break light socket and bulb, and cracked off the lower portion of the break light housing, rattles much less but not 100% . I suspect some of the rattle is coming from behind the c pillar too

Foam it like the OP said and call it done.
This is pretty much where I am at now, I just don't think there is a way to completely fix the rattles and creaks. Time to just accept it I suppose thanks for this tip OP I plan on giving it a try!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I like this idea and hopefully I'll try it. I've seen some other great solutions but up until now I have been too busy or lazy to actual try fixing it. Maybe I'm just getting old and can't be bothered lol.

Anyhow, this looks simple enough so I may actually get around to this one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so just an update...

been driving around for a couple days with it now. it is still much better over the way it was, but certain songs still vibrate that rear deck just right to make it rattle. it sounds like a clip or something rattling around inside there. overall though, still much improved.

the downside is i can hear all the other rattles in the car that much more now...

·
2010 EX 4dr VTEC 2.4L
248 Posts
genius!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did this today and amazingly it did manage to take away about 90% of those annoying rattles! and only cost me 97 cents! Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I can attest to this. Was walking through home depot and was like eh why not. Get the middle level one. The best one material is too soft and pliable. Took out the knife in the parking lot sliced it into halves and stuffed it in there. Overall it doesn't look hideous. But it does get rid of 90% of deck rattles and now i can adjust my sub better. Good tip bud!

·
2010 EX 4dr VTEC 2.4L
248 Posts
I just did this last week and.... MONEY!!!!
Most of the rattle is gone. There seems to be a wire or something still making a little rattle but you can't hear this when you have the volume to 25+

·
Registered
15 Posts
For those that are still getting a rattle check the wire harness/plug for the third brake light...that's where I was getting my rattle from.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For those that are still getting a rattle check the wire harness/plug for the third brake light...that's where I was getting my rattle from.
this is definitely one other spot worth looking at.

I also noticed that the covers for the child safety seat tie downs rattle like crazy (one behind each head rest). Honda has a small bit of felt on them, but it clearly doesnt work. i took the covers out for now. even less rattles! i plan on adding to the felt eventually and putting them back in because you can just see the exposed tie down points right now. it's better than listening to them, though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I used some of the insulation foam just cut some slices on that and a slit in the middle and threw them in the hooks as precations, it lets it sit flush while providing a light cushion. The third brake light is the connector right in the middle of the trunk when you open it. The first gray one.

Thats another problem area, I tried to push some foam in there, but it still rattles. I also don't think there is a way to remove it and do it well without removing the whole deck is there?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts