Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to throw some bulbs in without getting into replacing the housing/going HID.

Trying to get a feeler for putting Hella 100 watt bulbs in my stock headlight housings. Do you guys think this will be too much power for the stock wiring and/or too hot for the stock housing? Does anyone know the gauge wire going to the high beams?

If 100 is too high, how about 80 watt bulbs?

If it's really too much power for the wiring, I guess I could put a relay in and wire directly from the battery.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
Yes it's too high, relay, wiring, housing are going to suffer damage, maybe not right away but it will over time.

There is no good reason to do this...........

·
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If anyone with a detailed manual could look up wire size on the high beams, I'd appreciate it.

·
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it's too high, relay, wiring, housing are going to suffer damage, maybe not right away but it will over time.

There is no good reason to do this...........
Have you done it or know someone who has? Not trying to belittle, but I'd like to know that when you tell me that, you aren't just speaking from your rear.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
The manual will not specify the wire gauge size, there is no reason why Honda would put that level of information in there, else someone might be asking how many strands in the wire? are the strands tined or bare? are the wires oxygen free? what is the temperature rating of the insulation? is the insulation fire resistant?

The information of the wire specified by Honda is simply not required for any reasonable purpose, i.e. ownership or service.

What will be specified IIRC is the color coding of the wire, that is really the only information that is required for service purpose.

·
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not even a FSM or other repair manual? I think it would. I have an owner's manual, and I agree there is no reason to have that info in a regular owner's manual.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
Have you done it or know someone who has? Not trying to belittle, but I'd like to know that when you tell me that, you aren't just speaking from your rear.
Yes it is from first hand experience, I had put 90W headlight bulbs in a car in the past, the headlight switch eventually failed after 9 months, the contacts inside were all eroded from the constant high current arcing when the lights are switched on and off.

But by all means go right ahead and test it out yourself, but first make sure you put in some big over-rated fuses in the fuse panel so the OEM fuses don't blow, and you will be helping out the economy with the replacement components you will need to purchase and the taxes on those items you will have to pay.

·
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it is from first hand experience, I had put 90W headlight bulbs in a car in the past, the headlight switch eventually failed after 9 months, the contacts inside were all eroded from the constant high current arcing when the lights are switched on and off.

But by all means go right ahead and test it out yourself, but first make sure you put in some big over-rated fuses in the fuse panel so the OEM fuses don't blow, and you will be helping out the economy with the replacement components you will need to purchase and the taxes on those items you will have to pay.
What car was it?
I think the high beam fuse is well above 8 amps.

And what's all this about taxes?:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
Not even a FSM or other repair manual? I think it would. I have an owner's manual, and I agree there is no reason to have that info in a regular owner's manual.
I have the Factory Service Manual, it doesn't specify wire gauge size.

Once again, there is no need for Honda to do so, the Factory Service Manual is for servicing the car, NOT for providing info so someone can modify the car well beyond what the OEM had designed the car to achieve.

Anyway I've said all I am going to say in this thread, good luck with your mod, you are going to need it.

·
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the Factory Service Manual, it doesn't specify wire gauge size.

Once again, there is no need for Honda to do so, the Factory Service Manual is for servicing the car, NOT for providing info so someone can modify the car well beyond what the OEM had designed the car to achieve.

Anyway I've said all I am going to say in this thread, good luck with your mod, you are going to need it.
Holy Great Agenda, Batman! :paranoid:

:lmao:

·
Corvalis TTX
5,594 Posts
There's really not much more Avio can say. He's given you the correct information. The choice is now yours: use 80w/100w bulbs and there's a good chance of damaging your car. It's that simple.

·
Registered
283 Posts

·
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What if I completely bypass the stock wiring and wire the 100 watt bulbs with an external relay that pulls power directly from the battery. The stock headlight switch and wiring would then only serve as a signal to the new relay.

Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
312 Posts
You cannot fathom how hard everyone here is being laughed at.

I'm not getting into this.

"Everyone here" as in everyone posting in this thread? Or people on your end? Laughed at for what?

·
Corvalis TTX
5,594 Posts
What if I completely bypass the stock wiring and wire the 100 watt bulbs with an external relay that pulls power directly from the battery. The stock headlight switch and wiring would then only serve as a signal to the new relay.

Any thoughts on that?

Using a harness (separate relays and fuses) will alleviate the problem of burnt wiring and/or switches but I fear the heat from the 100w bulbs is going to damage the headlight housings, and there's no way to avoid that.

Assuming you have 9005/9006 bulbs your best bet is to replace them with 9011/9012 bulbs. You'll have just as much light as the 100W bulbs and a more properly focused beam as well (high wattage bulbs have larger filaments than standard wattage bulbs and these larger filaments are a detriment to beam focus and can result in too much glare). With the 9011/9012 bulbs you won't have to worry about damaging the stock headlight circuit.

·
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Using a harness (separate relays and fuses) will alleviate the problem of burnt wiring and/or switches but I fear the heat from the 100w bulbs is going to damage the headlight housings, and there's no way to avoid that.

Assuming you have 9005/9006 bulbs your best bet is to replace them with 9011/9012 bulbs. You'll have just as much light as the 100W bulbs and a more properly focused beam as well (high wattage bulbs have larger filaments than standard wattage bulbs and these larger filaments are a detriment to beam focus and can result in too much glare). With the 9011/9012 bulbs you won't have to worry about damaging the stock headlight circuit.
This right here is the best reply yet. :thmsup:
Thanks man,

:wave:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts