Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
It has a "transmission system," which means a system that transmits power from one point to another. What is usually meant by the abbreviated term "transmission" is a mechanical device that changes the gear ratio between the ICE and the wheels.
No it has a transmission by definition! Or are you going to argue with the Oxford and Webster's dictionaries just to contradict what I said in some manner shape or form? The definition literally includes every part of the "system". If you were using the term incorrectly to describe a device that changes gear ratios, don't assume others were as well. The term, or more appropriately the device, you are referring to is called the differential and they are usually a set ratio.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Maybe you didn't notice, but words can have different meanings in different contexts, and to different people. The primary definition in the sources you cited is not a mechanical device, it is a process. Others are abbreviated usages from using the word for some, or all, of the mechanical parts that perform the process as part of a system.

Both of the quotes I started with used the word "transmission" in a way that was consistent with at least one of the definitions you provided. Yet both were saying "Mine is right and yours is wrong." The debate was pointless without identifying how the definitions used were different.
Please look at definition #3 of the Merriam-Webster listing. Then this more detailed explanation from Wikipedia:
In British English, the term transmission refers to the whole drivetrain, including clutch, gearbox, prop shaft (for rear-wheel drive), differential, and final drive shafts. In American English, however, the term refers more specifically to the gearbox alone, and detailed usage differs
All cars have a "transmission" in the British English sense, like I said. It does not have one tin the American English - you and I are Americans - sense. Most of the time, when a person distinguishes between manuals, automatics, CVTs, and eCVTs, they are distinguishing between just the gearbox, whether or not they use "transmission" for the entire system.

So, where is it, exactly, that you think I contradicted you? Most of what I said agreed with you, just with more precise terminology. I tried to explain how each of you were right, and why each of you didn't see how the other was right. The point was not to contradict you, which I don't think I did; it was to clarify the various ways the word is used, specifically to be consistent with how it is used by Honda.

Maybe you could try taking explanations at face value.

·
Registered
97 Posts
"Maybe you could try taking explanations at face value."
Maybe you could heed your own advice instead of having to troll my posts and try adding your two cents to literally everything I say in two different forums. If both were right why did you feel the need to expand? You make sooo many assumptions about literally everything in practically every post you make. Who says that's what Americans mean? Did you physically do a poll or have studies showing this? Go hang around an American mechanic, parts store, dealership service center, anything dealing with cars and count how many times they use the word "transmission system". I can bet you it's zero. Better yet go to those places and tell them you have a problem with your "transmission system" and take notes of the weird looks you get. Even better in your own words from another post where you straight up admitted: " I will admit that I have no formal education in this area, so be patient if I make a few mistakes." And then following right after that posted: " In the world of auto mechanics, I believe that the components that fit the technical definition are called, collectively, the "drive train" or "transmission system." So now your stating what you "believed" from an earlier post, as being fact now, most incorrectly I may add.
You didn't want to clarify anything you just had to try and show how smart you are.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ooh haven't seen that one before thanks. That's great simple explanation. I just don't like that's it's misleading to some degree like other videos and some diagrams. If you saw that you would think the engine can't charge the batteries while driving the wheels. I was under the same impression, especially since I never use the power flow meter.

·
Registered
244 Posts
That's great simple explanation. I just don't like that's it's misleading to some degree like other videos and some diagrams. If you saw that you would think the engine can't charge the batteries while driving the wheels. I was under the same impression, especially since I never use the power flow meter.
No, just not exhaustive. Which you don't seem to like, since you have dismissed several explanations of mine that explain the same things, but with some missing details. Like how the battery gets charged in both HD and ED modes. Which is quite clear in the owner's manual, and several reviews you claim to have read.

And no, I don't "troll" your posts; but I do read the forum and try to correct inaccurate or confusing statements. You just seem to be involved in them a lot.

·
Registered
97 Posts
No, just not exhaustive. Which you don't seem to like, since you have dismissed several explanations of mine that explain the same things, but with some missing details. Like how the battery gets charged in both HD and ED modes. Which is quite clear in the owner's manual, and several reviews you claim to have read.

And no, I don't "troll" your posts; but I do read the forum and try to correct inaccurate or confusing statements. You just seem to be involved in them a lot.
The only thing exhaustive here is you trying so hard to always be right lol. This is a perfect example of you trolling. Your entire last post is nothing but inflammatory comments and your opinion which you quite frequently post as facts.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This back and forth was idiotic. The car has a transmission in the theoretical/technical sense that anything that has wheels has a transmission.

But in reality it has no transmission in the common knowledge or interpretation sense of the term. There are no solenoids, no hydraulic pressure actuating anything really, just literally a few set gears constantly meshed with each other, some oil to take off the heat/friction/pressure wear, and an electronically actuated lockup clutch.

What the moron who got banned never got past was his foolish lack of knowledge about how the car gets 212hp unless a transmission in the common knowledge sense of the term was involved.

What he failed to understand (and which probably thus vexes him to this day) is that we who remained on this forum, unbanned, figured out over time that the EV motor itself is capable of "overclocking" to use a CPU term, for short bursts, like in Normal or Sport Modes (not in Econ), and go from 181hp to 212hp for 5-10+ second bursts if you have enough battery and the temps outside aren't frigid.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts