Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 2569 Posts

· Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are some spy pics of the next generation Accord:

Spied: 2018 Honda Accord sedan | LeftLaneNews

Spied: 2018 Honda Accord sedan

Honda has begun development of its next-generation Accord mid-size sedan. The all-new Accord should be ready for the 2018 model year.

In an effort to shave development costs, Honda will move the next-generation Accord to a platform shared with the Civic compact. The 2018 Accord might actually shrink compared to the current car, but the mid-size will still hold a size advantage over its Civic platform mate.

The prototype spotted today is still clad in heavy camouflage, but the 2018 Accord is expected to borrow most of its styling cues from the latest Civic. Most notable among those Civic influences will be a fastback-like rear end treatment.

Under hood the 2018 Accord will likely use a version of Honda's 1.5L turbocharged four-cylinder engine. An optional V6 has been a staple of the Accord lineup for years, but Honda could ax the six-cylinder option in the name of economy. A hybrid variant will continue to be on offer.

A sleeker Accord coupe model is assumed, but nothing is set in stone at this time.

Look for the 2018 Honda Accord sedan to make its debut toward the end of 2017.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
From those pics I can tell that it's a four door sedan. The tail lights on the Civic are ugly. The rest isn't bad looking.

Only the engineers in California and Japan know for sure if the V6 or the manual transmission will survive in the 10th generation. My guess is that the V6 and the manual transmission are on the hit list.

Reactions: UNLTD1487

· Registered
1,237 Posts
From rear it looks like damm ugly Nissan Altima or Maxima look, I hate that wagon style...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,776 Posts
From the pics of the rear, I can see three potential differences from the 9th Gen:

1. New "fastback" shape, a la 10th Gen Civic.
2. Turbo engine(s), evidenced by dual exhaust.
3. Completely hidden exhaust tips. I HATE hidden exhaust. Even if it's a single-exit setup, a finished exhaust just looks better to me. The lower valences are far too boring and plain when the exhaust is not visible.

· Blinded by the light
1,758 Posts
I think it's funny how they say that Honda has begun development of the new Accord. It probably been in development shortly after the 13 model year hit the market, and is about to start final testing phases now. It's too late to go back to the drawing board.

With the increased size of the Civic, I'd imagine that the Accord will about the same size, otherwise they push into the full sized sedan market. The tech in the Civic puts the Accord to shame. I'm thinking they are going to aim the Accord at middle aged buyers more than they have in the past, rather than an upgrade from the Civic. Especially with a Si and Type R on the way. If I was in the market now and had to choose between the turbo Civic and the Accord, the Civic would win hands down for tech, features and value. I might wait for a Si or Type R through :)

· Registered
186 Posts
I just saw this and was about to post it for all you Accord enthusiasts. I am highly surprised that spy photos are showing up this early. Almost a year before it is supposed to be released and literally only a few weeks after the 2017 models are released. Glad to get some news of it though because it can help me decide of I should get a 9.5 gen v6 Accord before it's not offered anymore by Honda. The rear reminds me of a Audi Rs7, like a 4dr with a coupe body. Not a bad thing. We will see what rumors and news will show up in these coming months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
5,426 Posts
I wish Honda would make a larger sedan. Give people an option without having to spend $55k on an RL, especially if you're gonna make the Accord smaller.
I doubt they will make the Accord smaller since the 9th gen is smaller than the 8th and the new Civic is bigger than the previous.

Why would Honda build a larger sedan than the Accord? A larger sedan would compete with a much higher price point which would get into Acura territory and price.

· Registered
586 Posts
I just did 4 days rental in a 2016 Civic EX turbo and about 400 miles, so I know it a bit. .....

Then I rented a 2016 Accord 4 cyl EX-L sedan which I have til Wednesday.

No worries .... The Accord is FASTER, SMOOTHER, more POWERFUL, more eager from a standing start, more comfortable with its wider, longer seat cushion.

Some minor nitpicks about Accord - top of steering wheel blocks top of speedo. If I tilt wheel up more, then it's up too high.
Accord doesn't have electric parking brake and Brake Hold feature, so therefore it cannot do 'full speed' Adaptive Cruise Control (Low Speed Follow).

The Civic is a VERY nice small car, but NO MISTAKE, it's no Accord, not even the 4 cyl. Accord V6? >> Civic turbo.

---------------
That said, the Civic-esque rear of the 2018 Accord might be for better aerodynamics. They've gotta up the MPGs.

I don't see a 1.5T coming in Accord. Same engine as upper trim Civic? No way. Maybe 1.8L turbo for Accord.

One thing about Civic 1.5T , comes across a tad pokey from standing start. BUT, it's good on gas. I got 39.3 MPG actual on whole tank, no tricks.

Reactions: UNLTD1487
1 - 20 of 2569 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.