Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1481 - 1492 of 1492 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I found a dealer that gives me an out of door price with tons of weird named fees:
$300 dealer doc fee
$10 Drive off sticker
$10 lien fee
$164.50 title fee
$85.00 regestration fee
$28.00 wheel tax
$40.00 wheel tax
$44.50 local handling fee
$85.00 ATC handling fee
$49.00 mailing expense
$1777.82 Tax

I am purchasing out of the state, the title reg and wheel fees are the ones I found on my state’s dmv. I know my zip code has wheel tax $28 dollar, but do I have to pay $40 dollar wheel tax on the dealer’s county? Also I never heard of ATC handling fee, I googled it, it seems to be a DMV fee for out of state purchase. But what is local handling fee? Do I have to pay for it?

And another dealer just quoted me the following fee since I told him I can do plate transfer, but don’t they need to file a new title which is 164.5?

It is super weird how dealers are so different in posting those government fees?

That would be super shady if they just make up these fees.

Tax (5.5%) -$1848.88
Drive Away Plate - $10
Cook County Use Tax - $15

so I think the real government fee I need to pay are sales tax, car plates registration, title fees, and wheel tax? All other fees are not mandatory?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I found a dealer that gives me an out of door price with tons of weird named fees:
$300 dealer doc fee
$10 Drive off sticker
$10 lien fee
$164.50 title fee
$85.00 regestration fee
$28.00 wheel tax
$40.00 wheel tax
$44.50 local handling fee
$85.00 ATC handling fee
$49.00 mailing expense
$1777.82 Tax

I am purchasing out of the state, the title reg and wheel fees are the ones I found on my state’s dmv. I know my zip code has wheel tax $28 dollar, but do I have to pay $40 dollar wheel tax on the dealer’s county? Also I never heard of ATC handling fee, I googled it, it seems to be a DMV fee for out of state purchase. But what is local handling fee? Do I have to pay for it?

And another dealer just quoted me the following fee since I told him I can do plate transfer, but don’t they need to file a new title which is 164.5?

It is super weird how dealers are so different in posting those government fees?

That would be super shady if they just make up these fees.

Tax (5.5%) -$1848.88
Drive Away Plate - $10
Cook County Use Tax - $15

so I think the real government fee I need to pay are sales tax, car plates registration, title fees, and wheel tax? All other fees are not mandatory?
Sounds like tons of BS fees to me, but generally speaking, if the "fee" is taxable, it is typically goes to dealership. So if you use your tax amount to reverse calculate the taxable amount, you could probably figure out the exact fees that go to dealership and then figure out what are BS fees...just 2 cents

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like tons of BS fees to me, but generally speaking, if the "fee" is taxable, it is typically goes to dealership. So if you use your tax amount to reverse calculate the taxable amount, you could probably figure out the exact fees that go to dealership and then figure out what are BS fees...just 2 cents
Thanks for the tips! Yeah, I reversed calculated the tax, it is exactly the "sales" price they are willing to offer, which is not even including "Dealer Doc Fee", i checked one of my 2017 car purchase contract the state + county sales tax are calculated based on the sales price + dealer doc fee.

At this moment, I am really tired of playing those games with all dealerships. It took me about 2 weeks to finally find two dealers that are willing to send me the OTD number, it feels like a long way to go to get down to a price that I want. Maybe the economy is better now and car sales for August is really good for Honda, I cannot find any loyalty cash on the Honda website, and from Costco auto, the Honda to dealer cash is not published anymore either.

·
port & polish everything
1,666 Posts
For me autobytel.com readily shows any available discounts but currently for Accord there does not seem to be any besides military/college $500. May also depend on region/zip. The factory discount is a cyclical thing, it comes and goes depending on whatever sales/inventory/production goals Honda has.

The virus was a real whipsaw for the auto industry and still a very fluid situation. Just anecdotally when it first hit there was fear particularly in the sales network and the collapse of used car prices. Then after the stimulus, infections from using public transportation, and the production/supply gaps from factory shutdowns there were reports of many dealers running very low on inventory. One trick I heard is some dealers are even resorting to listing allocated or in transit vehicles as "inventory" so they have website listings for prospective customers.

At this point you might consider waiting for the 2021 model announcement so you can see any changes and of course it is more likely 2020s will be discounted then. Or if possible maybe waiting even longer, after for production/supply and the economy normalize.

Reactions: DavidZ90

·
Registered
6 Posts
For me autobytel.com readily shows any available discounts but currently for Accord there does not seem to be any besides military/college $500. May also depend on region/zip. The factory discount is a cyclical thing, it comes and goes depending on whatever sales/inventory/production goals Honda has.

The virus was a real whipsaw for the auto industry and still a very fluid situation. Just anecdotally when it first hit there was fear particularly in the sales network and the collapse of used car prices. Then after the stimulus, infections from using public transportation, and the production/supply gaps from factory shutdowns there were reports of many dealers running very low on inventory. One trick I heard is some dealers are even resorting to listing allocated or in transit vehicles as "inventory" so they have website listings for prospective customers.

At this point you might consider waiting for the 2021 model announcement so you can see any changes and of course it is more likely 2020s will be discounted then. Or if possible maybe waiting even longer, after for production/supply and the economy normalize.
Thanks! That is the feeling I got. Sales people are not very responsive. Historically August has been one of the best month for Honda. It seems the last four and first two months usually are more buyer friendly. If I cannot get a good deal, I might just wait for sonata N line or the new TLX. I know those would be new models and even no discounts, but why not give it a shot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
sadly, no one talks about the new 2020 accord LX.
Can you guys please give me a rough OTD price range to say "it was a good deal"?
currently living in SoCal area and its almost end of the year.

·
Registered
354 Posts
sadly, no one talks about the new 2020 accord LX.
Can you guys please give me a rough OTD price range to say "it was a good deal"?
currently living in SoCal area and its almost end of the year.
There is an entire thread dedicated to this. People just enter data- model, year, date of purchase, trim level, and the ultimate price they paid. Check it out- it's the top-most thread in the 10th Gen Forum.

Looking at KBB- which has a very basic estimation tool- it looks like they suggest that a fair purchase price is between $22,200 and $23,200. It varies a little based on where in California you are.

The longer you wait the better deal you will likely get. My dealer always seems to have leftover LX models that they struggle to unload once the new year comes out. I imagine that once the 2021 Accords hit the lot, you'll be able to get one for a bit cheaper... but then you play the game of trying to balance price with availability. The longer you wait, the better the deals will be- but you'll also have to deal with a much smaller selection available at that price. With all of that said- the profit margin on LX models is relatively low and they seem to be discounted less than upper trims at the end of the year. If bottom line low price is your goal- the LX is the right trim. If you are looking for the best deal in terms of percentage off of MSRP, you'll likely get a higher percentage off by selecting an EX or EXL trim. Those seem to be the slowest sellers. You'll pay more than a LX, but you'll probably get a bigger discount off of MSRP.

It's also important to realize that with all of the issues surrounding Covid-19, it seems like things are working a bit differently in terms of the automotive market. Production was shut down for quite a long time- and it seems like Honda is still struggling to get inventory back to normal. My local dealer's inventory right now is less than half of what it usually is. As a result, there might be less wheeling and dealing when the 2021 models come out- because there are just fewer cars sitting on the lot.

You'll have to do the work of figuring out the market in the area where you live. Just because dealers in SE Wisconsin are struggling in terms of inventory doesn't mean that California dealers are. You'll have to put the work into seeing trends and what the market is doing in your specific area.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is an entire thread dedicated to this. People just enter data- model, year, date of purchase, trim level, and the ultimate price they paid. Check it out- it's the top-most thread in the 10th Gen Forum.
View attachment 524446

Looking at KBB- which has a very basic estimation tool- it looks like they suggest that a fair purchase price is between $22,200 and $23,200. It varies a little based on where in California you are.

The longer you wait the better deal you will likely get. My dealer always seems to have leftover LX models that they struggle to unload once the new year comes out. I imagine that once the 2021 Accords hit the lot, you'll be able to get one for a bit cheaper... but then you play the game of trying to balance price with availability. The longer you wait, the better the deals will be- but you'll also have to deal with a much smaller selection available at that price. With all of that said- the profit margin on LX models is relatively low and they seem to be discounted less than upper trims at the end of the year. If bottom line low price is your goal- the LX is the right trim. If you are looking for the best deal in terms of percentage off of MSRP, you'll likely get a higher percentage off by selecting an EX or EXL trim. Those seem to be the slowest sellers. You'll pay more than a LX, but you'll probably get a bigger discount off of MSRP.

It's also important to realize that with all of the issues surrounding Covid-19, it seems like things are working a bit differently in terms of the automotive market. Production was shut down for quite a long time- and it seems like Honda is still struggling to get inventory back to normal. My local dealer's inventory right now is less than half of what it usually is. As a result, there might be less wheeling and dealing when the 2021 models come out- because there are just fewer cars sitting on the lot.

You'll have to do the work of figuring out the market in the area where you live. Just because dealers in SE Wisconsin are struggling in terms of inventory doesn't mean that California dealers are. You'll have to put the work into seeing trends and what the market is doing in your specific area.

Good Luck!
Thank you very much!
your information really helped me a lot!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was quoted $35,297 for a Platinum white pearl 2021 Accord Touring, should I jump at this offer? This is before Tax title and license fees. Would have to put $500 down and the car will be in the first week of November.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was quoted $35,297 for a Platinum white pearl 2021 Accord Touring, should I jump at this offer? This is before Tax title and license fees. Would have to put $500 down and the car will be in the first week of November.
That's a terrible deal. Go for 2020 and you'll get it for around 32K pre tax.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I agree with Overlord... that's a horrible price. Unless you REALLY want the ever so slightly updated exterior or the small changes on the interior... I'd agree that going with a 2020 Touring will save you tons of money, which (depending on the market in your neck of the woods) should be able to be purchased for between $32-33,000.

The dealer is just trying to get a higher price because the 2021 literally just hit the log. Wait a month or two and you could probably score a 2021 for much less.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The cheapest I was quoted for a 2021 touring (pre-tax) is $35,018.

Other dealers also threw out the following:
  • $35,288
  • $35,860
  • $36,974
  • $36,750

1481 - 1492 of 1492 Posts