Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

461 - 480 of 480 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Actually the 3-series BMW doesnt have a manual anymore. I forgot the Lincoln MKZ with the 400hp/400tq, now thats a nice mid-size performance sedan.

·
Registered
82 Posts
One or two months of data, by itself, does not indicate a trend.

America has a changing demographic, there is a growing number of people who dont own a car and never intend to own one.

2019 is the final year for the Taurus, an Accord competitor. Ford has also announced an end to most car sales in North America in the coming years.

We love our new Accord Hybrid.

I would love to add a MT Civic to the garage as well. I will not because the 1.5T is down on hp compared to the 2.0T.

What I think Honda is missing is a true performance sedan.

My DD is a 16 Fusion SE with the 240hp 2.0T and 6 spd AT. At 140,000 miles it is still purring right along.

My next DD will most likely be a another slightly used 2.0T sedan. Some really nice, low mileage cars can be had for 20-23k.

A Fusion 2.7 twin turbo Sport and a BMW 328i are on the top of the list.
Heck, Ford will stop selling all cars besides the mustang in the USA in less than 6 months. GM is getting rid of about 85% of its USA cars in less than a year. FCA only sells 4 cars in the USA already.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a 2020 Sport 2.0 - did my due diligence and test drove a few Camry trims. From what I gathered Camry's are priced higher than actual value and Toyota is coming way down below MSRP on 2019-2020 models. They wanted to put me in a new 2019 SE for under $25,500. While the Camry's 3.0 was punchier I felt it didn't come close on exterior lines, standard safety features, infotainment and interior. The Honda Accord just felt more like a luxury car. (I test drove Acura, Audi & BMW) The ride is excellent - I made the right decision.

·
Registered
48 Posts
"Honda has created too many regional models, in addition to an array of types, options and derivatives for its global models." I would guess the 6MT Accord would be the first to go.
With quality and profit down, Honda CEO is centralizing, streamlining
You think that's bad, Camry has 12 trims and each trim has 5 packages. You can go to Toyota lot and literally have 40 different Camrys. Just go look at the Camry SE for example, you can have Base SE, Moonroof SE, Blindspot+Moonroof SE, Nightshade SE, blah-blah-blah SE...It's ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
You think that's bad, Camry has 12 trims and each trim has 5 packages. You can go to Toyota lot and literally have 40 different Camrys. Just go look at the Camry SE for example, you can have Base SE, Moonroof SE, Blindspot+Moonroof SE, Nightshade SE, blah-blah-blah SE...It's ridiculous.
While on the other hand Mazda 6 has 5 trim levels; 2 of them have NA engines, and the more expensive 3 have more powerful turbo engines. You cannot get an auto dimming mirror, HomeLink and Bose audio unless you get one of the models with turbo engine, which also get lower mpg and 19" rims.

Conversely; if you want just the more powerful engine, but don't care for the niceties, also not happening.

In that respect Honda is doing good service letting the customer get features and/or the more powerful engine without making one a prerequisite for the other.

·
Registered
698 Posts
They'll cut down the Model lineup to the NSX, MDX, RDX, a new TLX, and MAYBE the RLX. All else will be killed off.

So they will remove one car from their lineup? The ILX is the only car you did not mention.

They are adding the Type S which will likely replace the TLX.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't understand Honda's thinking. They are losing sedan sales to SUVs, so instead of focusing on why people love SUVs they do the polar opposite design wise. They make the Accord lower with an incredibly inefficient rear door and rear passenger space that's hard to see out of! They should have made it more upright and taller to compete with SUVs.
I registered just so that I can reply to this post... Go buy a Crosstour haha. The rest of us love what Honda did with the Accord.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Huh? Type S is a trim. TLX is a model.
Yeah I just went back and re-read the car and driver article. They did a poor job (IMO) of writing the piece. I understood it as the Type S name was going to be used as the model name for the concept. But it looks like it will be the TLX-Type S just as before.

Either way, the person posting Acura will cut down their lineup is wrong. There is nothing to cut down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
IMHO,
I've preferred Honda vehicles since I bought my first Civic in 2004. I am not an investor, dealership owner, or sales person; so sales numbers do not negatively affect me. However, driving my 2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T positively affects me everyday. Current market demand leans toward trucks and SUVs; however, their will always be a group of consumers who prefer a sedan. I think the aforementioned factor plays the biggest role in Accord sales numbers. Honda realizes this trend, so they change with demand. Even though, they are cutting back production on the Civic and Accord; they still appreciate loyal Accord and Civic owners by improving and re-vamping these vehicles. I do not think Honda is worried, because they've been around a long time. I hope in the future; Honda comes out with a coupe version of the Accord. A Type R version would be so awesome; but with even more HP and Torque. :love:

·
^^vv<><>BA
12,144 Posts
Either way, the person posting Acura will cut down their lineup is wrong. There is nothing to cut down.
But Acura is trimming their line up. It's not the ILX that's getting killed. It's the RLX due to poor sales per Jon Ikeda. This has been known for months.

https://www.autonews.com/cars-concepts/acura-type-s-concept-previews-next-tlx

Acura Type S Concept Previews Next TLX
August 13, 2019
Acura, which is harking back to its performance roots with edgier looks and go-fast parts, released images of the concept prior to its presentation at Monterey Car Week on Thursday. The next-generation TLX is likely to be shown in the coming months for sale as a 2021 model.
The production car will have door handles — unlike the concept — along with larger side mirrors and an interior similar to the redesigned RDX crossover, which last year became the brand's first mainstream model under the new design direction. Acura's remake began four years ago with the second-generation NSX supercar.
Acura designers say the concept to be shown in Monterey already has many of the engineering details worked out, suggesting the production car won't be far off in terms of overall design. The concept will also heavily influence a second vehicle with the reborn Type S trim, although Acura hasn't said which one.
"The return of Type S is instrumental in our mission to return Acura to its performance roots," said Jon Ikeda, Acura brand officer.
More recently, Acura brought back A Spec appearance trims, along with a new pentagon grille for all models. It also confirmed a new turbocharged six-cylinder engine is in the works for Type S models, excluding the low-volume NSX, which has a unique powertrain.
"I don't have the direct numbers to give you about the exact performance," Ikeda said at an event last week. "I guarantee you that just as exciting as these [Type S] vehicles were in the past, we are definitely going to have the performance upgrade, whether its brakes or handling or performance of the engine."
The luxury brand has said it will get down to four core vehicles: two sedans and two crossovers. The RLX full-size sedan is set to be discontinued given its poor sales. Moreover, Acura is refocusing on the NSX as its halo vehicle rather than a big sedan.

·
Registered
82 Posts
IMHO,
I've preferred Honda vehicles since I bought my first Civic in 2004. I am not an investor, dealership owner, or sales person; so sales numbers do not negatively affect me. However, driving my 2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T positively affects me everyday. Current market demand leans toward trucks and SUVs; however, their will always be a group of consumers who prefer a sedan. I think the aforementioned factor plays the biggest role in Accord sales numbers. Honda realizes this trend, so they change with demand. Even though, they are cutting back production on the Civic and Accord; they still appreciate loyal Accord and Civic owners by improving and re-vamping these vehicles. I do not think Honda is worried, because they've been around a long time. I hope in the future; Honda comes out with a coupe version of the Accord. A Type R version would be so awesome; but with even more HP and Torque. :love:

Could you imagine a SH-AWD Accord with he 2.0T?

Amazing car..... Too bad Honda refuses to give Honda SH-AWD

But Acura is trimming their line up. It's not the ILX that's getting killed. It's the RLX due to poor sales per Jon Ikeda. This has been known for months.

https://www.autonews.com/cars-concepts/acura-type-s-concept-previews-next-tlx

Acura Type S Concept Previews Next TLX
August 13, 2019
Acura, which is harking back to its performance roots with edgier looks and go-fast parts, released images of the concept prior to its presentation at Monterey Car Week on Thursday. The next-generation TLX is likely to be shown in the coming months for sale as a 2021 model.
The production car will have door handles — unlike the concept — along with larger side mirrors and an interior similar to the redesigned RDX crossover, which last year became the brand's first mainstream model under the new design direction. Acura's remake began four years ago with the second-generation NSX supercar.
Acura designers say the concept to be shown in Monterey already has many of the engineering details worked out, suggesting the production car won't be far off in terms of overall design. The concept will also heavily influence a second vehicle with the reborn Type S trim, although Acura hasn't said which one.
"The return of Type S is instrumental in our mission to return Acura to its performance roots," said Jon Ikeda, Acura brand officer.
More recently, Acura brought back A Spec appearance trims, along with a new pentagon grille for all models. It also confirmed a new turbocharged six-cylinder engine is in the works for Type S models, excluding the low-volume NSX, which has a unique powertrain.
"I don't have the direct numbers to give you about the exact performance," Ikeda said at an event last week. "I guarantee you that just as exciting as these [Type S] vehicles were in the past, we are definitely going to have the performance upgrade, whether its brakes or handling or performance of the engine."
The luxury brand has said it will get down to four core vehicles: two sedans and two crossovers. The RLX full-size sedan is set to be discontinued given its poor sales. Moreover, Acura is refocusing on the NSX as its halo vehicle rather than a big sedan.
There we go.

A TLX sedan, another sedan, the RDX and MDX. 4 vehicles

·
^^vv<><>BA
12,144 Posts
January 2020

Honda Accord = down 19.6% to 15,099 units vs 18,786 units in Jan 2019

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-corporate/releases/release-6339a8c1466fa77f7edcbf4d0f001e73-honda-trucks-set-records-acura-cars-rise-for-american-honda-in-january

Honda Trucks Set Records, Acura Cars Rise for American Honda in January

February 3, 2020

• American Honda trucks set new January sales record
  • Honda brand trucks mark best January sales, rising 2.3%
  • Honda truck sales gains led by HR-V with new January record (up 25%) and Ridgeline (up 57%)
  • Acura brand car sales rise 6% as ILX climbs 16% and TLX gains 6%

Sales Highlights

Honda trucks captured a new January sales record as HR-V also set a new mark and Ridgeline deliveries jumped almost 60%. While the industry continues its dramatic shift toward light trucks, Honda entered 2020 by maintaining its retail market share gains with passenger cars, led by Civic with sales of 20,054 units.

• Honda brand trucks set a new January record, gaining 2.3% on sales of 52,800 vehicles.
  • HR-V set an all-time record in January with a strong 24.8% increase on sales of 7,457 units.
  • Ridgeline sales jumped 57.1% for the month, with 3,083 deliveries.
  • CR-V started the year strong, topping 26,000 sales in January, while Civic surpassed 20,000.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
My guess is this is people going to SUVs and waiting on the 2.0. I know a couple folks who went to the Camry because they wanted a V6 and not play with the turbo engines.
I looked at Camry in 2019. Could barely get into it.

Turbo is where a lot of engines are going for efficiency (not brute power) reasons.

As to turbos, those used on the Accord (at least the 1.5) aren't very big and aren't driven all that hard. The exhaust is cooled before it gets to the turbo and the turbo is both oil and coolant cooled. I don't expect to ever have a turbo issue with this car other than perhaps a failed wastegate actuator (electrically driven / ECU controlled).

461 - 480 of 480 Posts