Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've had the car since 11/24/17. I have a 2018 Accord Sport 1.5T. I have about 1,500 miles on it and i've noticed something that is kinda driving me nuts. I don't know if it's a design flaw or i'm picky or maybe the test drivers didn't notice. I'm about 5'11, I have the seat in a comfortable position it's far enough back to where my legs are kinda stretched out. When i'm driving I don't know what it is but my leg is always resting against the center console and i've noticed it get's uncomfortable after a while. Does anyone have this issue? Sometimes I don't even know where to put my arm cause it feels weird.

·
Registered
396 Posts
A number of people have reported this. The general trend in all cars these days is to have high center consoles. I didn't really notice it being an issue on the test drive, but I'm also 5'11 and am wondering if it might be an issue on longer drives.

One thing that will definitely help for LX, EX and Sport owners is to replace the center console panel with the padded leather version that comes on the EX-L and Touring. It's only something like $30 part and super easy to replace.

2018 Accord Sedan 20TRNG XAT | Console (AT)

Parts catalog image is down.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Try to sit in an EX-L or Touring to see if this would work because while the majourity of the knee cushion is softly padded, the upper portion where you see the stitching is still hard. In my Touring, my leg normally rests right on this harder portion of the pad but after making more seat adjustments it isn't as big of an issue as before.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So i've had the car since 11/24/17. I have a 2018 Accord Sport 1.5T. I have about 1,500 miles on it and i've noticed something that is kinda driving me nuts. I don't know if it's a design flaw or i'm picky or maybe the test drivers didn't notice. I'm about 5'11, I have the seat in a comfortable position it's far enough back to where my legs are kinda stretched out. When i'm driving I don't know what it is but my leg is always resting against the center console and i've noticed it get's uncomfortable after a while. Does anyone have this issue? Sometimes I don't even know where to put my arm cause it feels weird.
I am 6’2” and have the same issue with the same sport 1.5
I should have taken a longer test drive. My 2013 Sport had more room. My knees actually hit the area of the push button start which was not there in the 2013

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am 6’2” and have the same issue with the same sport 1.5
I should have taken a longer test drive. My 2013 Sport had more room. My knees actually hit the area of the push button start which was not there in the 2013
I used to drive a 2006 Acura TL and didn't have this issue cause the center console sat lower. :frown

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'm only 5' 8" and noticed the console issue right away when I sat in a 10th Gen. I immediately thought it would be uncomfortable in short order. I haven't test driven a 10th gen yet, so the jury is still out on this issue.

However, when I got back into my 9th Gen I didn't feel cramped by the console.

·
06 Acura TL
97 Posts
In October I went to the Dealership on a Sunday when Honda Dealers are closed for the most part. I came across a 2018 Touring Model and a 2017 EX-L that were unlocked. I was able to compare the insides of both cars as far as materials, comfort, and all. Both cars are roomy front and back. The interior are nice in both cars with the 2018 being even better. Now for the 2018 there were couple things that were in question. First off, I had noticed that the driver side was a bit narrow and definitely my right knee was bumping against the right console and my left knee barely touching the left side door handle. Also, I have noticed that visibility off to the side is a little less. The door panel comes up a little higher and you have less side windows. The 2017 plenty of knee room and you have better visibility off to the side.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am 5'11 as well and test drove the Touring 2018 twice. Second time for around 25 minutes after reading this post so looked for this issue. When I first got in, my knee was hitting the centre console but once I adjusted the seat slightly lower the problem disappeared. I tried to get my leg to rest on the centre console but couldn't do so comfortably, so personally don't find this will be an issue for me. With the slightly lower position I was very comfortable. What I didn't like was how high the doors seemed compared to my 2017. You really do sit much lower in the 2018s but I suppose the 2.0T could help me forget about it very quickly ?.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi. The 2018 Accord is currently at the top of my shopping list, but my knee hits the plastic area near the push button start. It's only a problem when I move the seat forward, but due to neck issues, I have to sit pretty close.
Has anyone tried adding some kind of padding there to alleviate the issue?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm only 5' 8" and noticed the console issue right away when I sat in a 10th Gen. I immediately thought it would be uncomfortable in short order. I haven't test driven a 10th gen yet, so the jury is still out on this issue.

However, when I got back into my 9th Gen I didn't feel cramped by the console.
I'm exactly this height, and the 18 Accord is VERY comfy for me... I never rest my knee against the center console, but maybe it's only me, and my seating position, I like to sit pretty upright. Forgot to mention that I think the seating position was too low for me in the original position, as I like to see a little bit of the hood when I drive so I can more easily gauge parking.

·
Registered
40 Posts
No issues for me and actually prefer the higher console. Found the Accord (EX-L) to be very comfortable. No issues with foot placement and love the look and support of the longer center armrest.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Update: I test drove a 2018 2.0T Touring and the center console was not a problem. My right knee never touched the console. When I sat in one earlier, I probably wasn't sitting in my normal driving position.

·
New Accord Owner yay.
24 Posts
Took me a lot of adjusting, up, tilt and back until I got a spot where my knee wasn't hitting a spot on the center console. Softer leather might be worth it.

Any idea which color is closest to the EX grey (silver looking cloth) interior?

·
Registered
379 Posts
The only thing I find about the console LID is if I reset any pressure from my arm on the side towards me it flexes down a bit and hits the little bumper. I then feel it. I'm going to look for a way to make the bumper underneath the lid a little taller perhaps so there is no flexing like there is now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Center Console Deal Breaker for 6'2" Driver

A few weeks ago I lost my 2017 Sport SE which was totaled in a minor accident. I went to the dealer today to try the 2018 Sport only to find that the center console hits, pushes, and shoves my right knee so much I cannot drive the car at all. There was zero issue in my 2017 Sport SE. I cannot imagine how the engineers could have screwed up so badly. The fatter console is not even functional. So Honda butchered the design for the entire model cycle for the next 3-4 years.

It is impossible to find a used 2017. Now I have to go look at a Camry.

·
Registered
59 Posts
A few weeks ago I lost my 2017 Sport SE which was totaled in a minor accident. I went to the dealer today to try the 2018 Sport only to find that the center console hits, pushes, and shoves my right knee so much I cannot drive the car at all. There was zero issue in my 2017 Sport SE. I cannot imagine how the engineers could have screwed up so badly. The fatter console is not even functional. So Honda butchered the design for the entire model cycle for the next 3-4 years.

It is impossible to find a used 2017. Now I have to go look at a Camry.
This is a clear design flaw of the 10th generation and a serious one. I have noticed this on every modeI I have sat in or driven. It is a pretty stunning mistake when you consider that the designers added back seat room at the expense of the front. The front no longer feels open and airy but cramped with worse visibility.

In our family the two kids share a ‘12 TLX SE MT and I drive a ‘14 Touring. Because I was considering an ‘18 I did a little test. I’m 5’11” and in my comfortable driving position I have 3-4” of space between my knee and the console in both cars. In fact, no driving position puts me closer than 2”.

On the ‘18 The lowest seating position gives me 2” and I feel like I am sitting so low I’m in a cave. The normal height is 0” and my knee is trapped against the console.

This daily livability issue is serious enough to dissuade me from buying the ‘18. Why buy a car if immediately after you are investing in cushions and pads to make it more livable?

1 - 20 of 141 Posts