Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Having a big car can be a good thing if you ever get in a wreck. They’re a lot safer than smaller cars. I personally prefer to buy midsize and full-size cars. My life is too precious to take my chances in a compact car.

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
1,148 Posts
Having a big car can be a good thing if you ever get in a wreck. They’re a lot safer than smaller cars. I personally prefer to buy midsize and full-size cars. My life is too precious to take my chances in a compact car.
This!

This was the final factor in making my decision to opt for an Accord over a Civic for a first car. Behind the wheel, you can only control what one car does- yours, and you're not the only car on the road.

I didn't want to risk paying with my life for somebody else's lack of attention.

·
Registered
18 Posts

With respect, I seriously doubt that the Accord is significantly safer than a Civic in terms of crash testing. I believe both receive similar good scoring with those tests.

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
1,148 Posts
With respect, I seriously doubt that the Accord is significantly safer than a Civic in terms of crash testing. I believe both receive similar good scoring with those tests.
Crash testing doesn't take into account vehicle size- it's for reference against a similar sized car. Bigger, heavier vehicles like the Accord offer more protection than a lighter, smaller vehicle like a Civic, even if they both score well in crash testing.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The new civics aren’t much smaller than the Accords like they used to be but they still are smaller. If you had to be in a serious car wreck would you choose to be in a large car or a smaller car? I’d rather be in a larger car. I’m not saying the Accords are significantly safer than Civics but I believe they are safer nonetheless.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
@alext - You said everything is turned off but you're still getting lane departure warnings. Sure everything is turned off? Don't see how you'd get those alerts if RDM and LKAS are off. Note: You may have to turn RDM off every time you start the engine. And when RDM (or RDM+LKAS) is on, you'll get a lane departure alert if you change lanes but don't use a turn signal.

I went from a '00 EX Coupe 4-speed AT to '16 EX Coupe CVT with Sensing. Took me a while and a few long road trips to get used to the '16 which has so much better/faster acceleration than the '00 plus all the driver assistance gadgets.

Don't know if your Gen 10 has it, but I finally found the lumbar support adjuster on driver's seat and that's made a vast improvement in my comfort. Now I wonder how I ever existed inside the '00 for ~180K miles.

I say hang in there for a while, and you'll get to love your Sport...

·
Reverse Gear
994 Posts
My first post: in April bought a brand new 2021 Sport 2.0t, and it turned out a mistake.

Nothing wrong with the car, in fact it's great! :) Just not what I really want.

So I thought I'd share my experience. I hope this doesn't sound like a flame, I mean it as an honest assessment of my own dumb mistake, and I hope it might be helpful for others thinking about buying a new Accord.

Before the Accord I had a 2011 Civic Si, for about 10 years, and I've had other smaller/sportier cars (Also I'm not a typical import tuner Civic Si fan, in fact I felt a little embarrassed driving it sometimes, but wow I liked that car.) I thought I was ready for a more sedate, comfortable car, with an automatic, better for freeway droning. Turned out I miss all the great stuff about my old car -- more than anything the manual trans and compact size, and the point-and-shoot handling.

As for the Accord, it's great for this type of car, a practical family-type sedan. Especially the engine -- feels like a huge reserve of power. With transmission in sport mode it kicks down quickly and the roll-on acceleration is awesome. That's nice for quick maneuvers, and tempting to drive like a hooligan on the freeway! What I miss is the direct-connection feeling of a manual, and the more active work involved -- shifting, anticipating what gear you want to be in -- I like how that forces you to pay attention.

That gets me to what I really don't like -- too much "assistance" and "by wire" technology (this goes for all new cars not specifically the Accord). Even with everything turned off the lane departure warnings are annoying. I put transmission in sport mode nearly 100%, otherwise it feels like a rental car. There's a general sense of disconnection between me (my inputs) and the actual mechanical results. I find my attention drifting off and it feels more dangerous than an older, simpler car. I haven't driven a lot of Accords, but now that I know the current cars, I suspect I'd prefer 2 generations back.

Some other issues... The car feels really big, inside and out. Again I guess I had to drive the car for a while, and I realized I like smaller cars. It's hard to park, and I've already curbed the passenger-side wheels a couple times :( - the civic I drove 75k miles and wheels were still almost perfect. I'm a smaller guy (5'8" and slim) and the seat feels too big and everything's too far a reach, and I can't find a comfortable driving position. By contrast the civic's ergos felt perfect. The ride is a bit spongy, it really needs better shocks IMO and there aren't many aftermarket options. I expected understeer and yup it's pretty bad, although that could be fixed with a big rear swaybar. Tires are not great. The interior is kinda noisy at cruising speeds.

For my taste, a few suspension mods + tires would improve the car a lot, but adding it all up I decided it's just not the right car for me. I've been looking for an 8th gen. Si like I used to have. When I'm not cursing my own stupidity at selling the old car so quickly! :cry:

So I hope that's helpful for somebody. For a different person / different priorities, the car could be perfect. I guess just a big-time YMMV :cool:
I’m hoping they’ll announce the new Civic SI any day now. I also want to try the new Civic Sport Touring 6 speed. I have a ninth gen accord V6. I love, love, love it - just wish it was stick

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’m hoping they’ll announce the new Civic SI any day now. I also want to try the new Civic Sport Touring 6 speed. I have a ninth gen accord V6. I love, love, love it - just wish it was stick
I actually had the same experience as the original poster with my 2019 Accord Sport 2.0t with the 6 speed MT. The car is HUGE compared to the other cars I have owned over the past 20 years. I bought the Accord because of favorable reviews with the 2.0t as I needed a larger car to fit 2 HUGE car seats for my grand kids. The car felt like I driving a huge Buick. The ride quality was good and tech in the vehicle was good, however, I found it hard to park, hard to position the car in the lane while driving and also curbed the back wheel the second week of ownership. The 6 speed MT was very unHonda like. Very long throws and very “rubbery.” ( no dealers in a 4 State area had a MT 2.0t to test drive, I did not have the opportunity to “test drive/shift MT until after I purchased it. ). My Accord was very rare because of its unique color, Steel Night Pearl Blue, and being a 6 speed MT 2.0t, and was a nice car, but not my cup of tea. I traded the Accord in for a Civic Type R that I traveled to Virginia from Michigan to purchase. Fun fact: I paid $26400 NEW for the Accord and they sold it in 2 days for over 30k from a person from MICHIGAN…lol. The CTR is a different animal than the Accord but it’s a very roomy car and because it’s a hatch back, can hold more “stuff” than the Accord and has room to spare holding 2 HUGE car seats. Also, I wish Honda would offer the SNP shade of blue on the Type R and wish Honda would offer more lively colors vs their BORING white, black and silver colors. Just terrible paint offerings!!! On the “safety debate, I agree the Accord would fair better in a crash vs the Civic because the weight of the Accord, but if you can avoid the accident in the 1st place that is the better deal and the Civic will out handle the Accord and possibly avoid an accident.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree. The accord feels longer and wider then my Camry and am still adjusting to parking it in my garage next to my giant Sequoia.

On the flip side , I do like the roomier interior . It’s great for my growing kids and much more comfortable then the Camry .

·
VCM DELETE
920 Posts
This!

This was the final factor in making my decision to opt for an Accord over a Civic for a first car. Behind the wheel, you can only control what one car does- yours, and you're not the only car on the road.

I didn't want to risk paying with my life for somebody else's lack of attention.
I have seen multiple 8th gen accords get into wrecks. They hold up very very well compared to a similar generation civics at high speed/highway crashes. Almost every one I have seen the driver just gets out and walks away. No injuries.

·
Reverse Gear
994 Posts
I actually had the same experience as the original poster with my 2019 Accord Sport 2.0t with the 6 speed MT. The car is HUGE compared to the other cars I have owned over the past 20 years. I bought the Accord because of favorable reviews with the 2.0t as I needed a larger car to fit 2 HUGE car seats for my grand kids. The car felt like I driving a huge Buick. The ride quality was good and tech in the vehicle was good, however, I found it hard to park, hard to position the car in the lane while driving and also curbed the back wheel the second week of ownership. The 6 speed MT was very unHonda like. Very long throws and very “rubbery.” ( no dealers in a 4 State area had a MT 2.0t to test drive, I did not have the opportunity to “test drive/shift MT until after I purchased it. ). My Accord was very rare because of its unique color, Steel Night Pearl Blue, and being a 6 speed MT 2.0t, and was a nice car, but not my cup of tea. I traded the Accord in for a Civic Type R that I traveled to Virginia from Michigan to purchase. Fun fact: I paid $26400 NEW for the Accord and they sold it in 2 days for over 30k from a person from MICHIGAN…lol. The CTR is a different animal than the Accord but it’s a very roomy car and because it’s a hatch back, can hold more “stuff” than the Accord and has room to spare holding 2 HUGE car seats. Also, I wish Honda would offer the SNP shade of blue on the Type R and wish Honda would offer more lively colors vs their BORING white, black and silver colors. Just terrible paint offerings!!! On the “safety debate, I agree the Accord would fair better in a crash vs the Civic because the weight of the Accord, but if you can avoid the accident in the 1st place that is the better deal and the Civic will out handle the Accord and possibly avoid an accident.
So how is the transmission in the Type R? Is it the same one as in the Accord? The reviews of the Tenth Gen Accord MT were pushing me towards the Jetta GLI. I just got an Acura Marketing email yesterday saying the new Integra will have a MT option. Maybe there is hope after all.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Font Audio equipment Gadget

·
Registered
18 Posts
So how is the transmission in the Type R? Is it the same one as in the Accord? The reviews of the Tenth Gen Accord MT were pushing me towards the Jetta GLI. I just got an Acura Marketing email yesterday saying the new Integra will have a MT option. Maybe there is hope after all. View attachment 534897
The 6 speed in the Type R is excellent with decent short throws that most reviewers state that the Type R’s MT is the best offered of any “current car”, but I also have a S2000 and it is the best shifting linkage I have ever driven period. There has been great reviews on a after market linkage for the Type R that gets rave reviews that I am considering installing in the R.
I wish that Honda would have installed the Type R’s linkage in the Accord, but it is a moot point now with Honda unfortunately killing the MT in the Accord. As I mentioned in my post, no dealer in a 4 State area had ANY MT Accord’s 2.0t s , let alone in the color I wanted. Remember, if the dealers don’t stock MT cars, we can’t purchase them then at the end of the year they say”see no wants manual transmissions!! Also, most car makers only offer the MT as a “stripper model” with the base interior (no heated seats), and low powered engines. I did not want to be saddled with a “stripper model” for 5 years just to get a stick!! My understanding is the 2.0t trans in made in the US and the 1.5 model is from India. ??

·
Reverse Gear
994 Posts
The 6 speed in the Type R is excellent with decent short throws that most reviewers state that the Type R’s MT is the best offered of any “current car”, but I also have a S2000 and it is the best shifting linkage I have ever driven period. There has been great reviews on a after market linkage for the Type R that gets rave reviews that I am considering installing in the R.
I wish that Honda would have installed the Type R’s linkage in the Accord, but it is a moot point now with Honda unfortunately killing the MT in the Accord. As I mentioned in my post, no dealer in a 4 State area had ANY MT Accord’s 2.0t s , let alone in the color I wanted. Remember, if the dealers don’t stock MT cars, we can’t purchase them then at the end of the year they say”see no wants manual transmissions!! Also, most car makers only offer the MT as a “stripper model” with the base interior (no heated seats), and low powered engines. I did not want to be saddled with a “stripper model” for 5 years just to get a stick!! My understanding is the 2.0t trans in made in the US and the 1.5 model is from India. ??
Well some info came out about the 2022 Civic SI yesterday and it has a lot of what I was hoping for. Highlights include
  1. Shorter throws for the manual only transmission
  2. Really nice and comfortable looking front seats
  3. Bose stereo from the touring model
  4. Limited slip
  5. 18 inch wheels (was really hoping they wouldn’t go to 19’s)
  6. Dual exhaust with a unique design to amplify/deepen the sound. Here is where I have concern. I want to hear the engine not the exhaust. Besides no one expects exhaust sound from a 1.5 L engine anyway. I’m sure many will disagree with me here.
I’ve gotten used to many of the luxuries that we have in our accords and I’m less thrilled about the lack of vents and usb outlets for the back seats. I’ve bought 3 Honda’s in a row without even test driving the car. If I do bite on this, there will be a test drive.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts