Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the info! I'm going to end up getting the Progress bar. I had a 22mm type R rear bar on my 2002 Civic Si with HFP suspension, and loved the way it drove.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Ivory here is a quick whats up. The bigger the bar the more grip is put to the other end of the car. The Accord with its stock sway bars has a lot of push built into it. Meaning the front tires will give up grip WAY before the rears do. Doing just the rear bar will add more grip to the front tires but the car will still push a little. So doing just the rear will have NO bad affect on handling at all. On my V6 I have the Progress bar and only on the stiff setting would my rear start to drift out on long turns like highway clover leafs and what not or high speed chicane. I went back to the soft setting just to be safe. Way easier to catch the car or lift when its pushing vs having to gas it to pull out of some oversteer with a front wheel drive car.
Ive noticed this on mine, in cloverleafs etc. The front wants to go straight if you give it too much, which is I think is not too much and it should handle better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've ordered my Progress bar and am hoping to receive it next week. My question is, does the suspension need to be preloaded when installing the bar? I saw a video on youtube that I can no longer find which stated the suspension should be preloaded before a sway bar is installed.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
No

Should the suspension be preloaded before a sway bar is installed? No.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you for the quick reply taz. That is a good summary. For myself, I went ahead and ordered the Eibach rear bar because I found a really good price. My husband installed it yesterday when we did the exhaust swap, and I put it on soft setting to try. I just figured it was good to have a brand name in case I ever have to sold the car (no plans!) and, er, it was the same color as my car... Seemed to make a little stiffer, but can't really judge. Guess I'll have to get into some crisis situation to see!

I will post in other topic about the cat back exhaust, after my eyes dry out, that is all I am saying. :)

Woo hoo, we were going to go to a do-it-yourself garage that charged ~$30/hour for a lift. But I just thought I'd ask if the Navy hobby shop permits retired civilian workers to use it. Wow, the answer was yes! So, 2-3 hours on the lift for $13. BTW, if you go to a diy lift, better not to bring your wife with you. I was reading the instruction sheets on both installs step-by-step, but they were sometimes a little off, out of sequence or missing stuff (like remove a big panel before you can access exhaust bolts). He didn't need instructions; I was just being a PITA and went to just grabbing tools & such. (I just had to go along because I have the ID card.) Just mentioning in case it helps anyone else that retired DOD civilians workers (not sure if not retired, also, why not?) can use lots of stuff.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Ordered today from Progress

62.1018 2018 Honda Accord / 2016 Honda Civic Rear Sway Bar

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just installed the Eiback RSB. I wanted to share just some observations I had:

1. It's damn near impossible to get the old sway bar out with dropping the exhaust from the hangers. I had to buy exhaust hanger pliers to be able to remove the hangers at the exhaust tips. There is not enough space to fit your hand in there and some pliers, in order to pull the hanger out.

2. I put the Eibach RSB on the "soft" setting, and there is definitely a noticeable difference in handling from stock. The suspension feels a lot firmer, especially in the back. The car is more balance between the front and rear, and seems to have gotten rid of the understeer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why does the Progress bar only offer one stiffness setting and the Eibach have two settings? If someone was looking for a balance set up which would be the better bar?
If Eibach doesn't recommend the their stiffer setting on wet roads then what would be the results of the stiffer Progressive bar on wet roads? What would be the advantage of the Progressive bar over the Eibach, the Eibach instructions say "Softest Setting Reduces over-steer" and "Firmest Setting Reduces under-steer." I have driven this car pretty hard, autocross and highway cloverleafs, and it has never wanted to over-steer, so I find their statement a little confusing.

·
Registered
434 Posts
New toy from Progress arrived today, riding by the shop tomorrow to let them look at it and find a free day.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
New toy from Progress arrived today, riding by the shop tomorrow to let them look at it and find a free day.
Do they have upgraded end links for this? I know the Progress bars are pretty aggressive.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Took the RSB by the tuner shop in Mobile (very good group of mechanics) and they installed it in about 55 mins start to finish. Also only charged me $50.

Went and hit some cloverleafs and the Progress bar def made a difference.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Obvious improvement in handling after more driving in familiar areas. When taking a sharp corner, you don't have to lift off the throttle or turn harder because nose wants to drive straight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
UPS dropped off the Progress RSR and went straight to a shop to get it installed. Big improvements. Loving how it takes corners now. Anyone notice a difference with a front sway bar?

·
Registered
434 Posts
UPS dropped off the Progress RSR and went straight to a shop to get it installed. Big improvements. Loving how it takes corners now. Anyone notice a difference with a front sway bar?
Still loving mine. From my reading, it seems that you just leave the front alone.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,817 Posts
Doesn't the 10th gen have a factory FSB on all trims?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I installed a Progress Rear Sway Bar (.875"/22.2mm). There is NO "twitchy handling," and "ride quality" does NOT suffer. It corners flatter and understeer is reduced, and I'd say this is the way it should have come from the factory. Coupon Code: 20BUCKS for $20 off. (Not sure if this still works.)

·
Registered
27 Posts
ugh reading this makes me want to buy a RSR and install badly. The body roll on merge ramps/tight turns is annoying to me. i know the car could handle better. Is it an easy DIY job or should I just go to a shop to get it installed? Does it void warranty?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Its worth it. My sport will slow down and make a right hand turn onto a street off a busy road that trips people out. My wife is always like "coming in hot".

61 - 80 of 104 Posts