Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
OBSIDIANBLUE
515 Posts
A beefier Rear Sway Bar will help reduce understeer on the 10th gen. Upgrading only the rear sway bar, and not the front sway bar, may change handling characteristics.

The OEM specs for the 10th Gen Accord are:

Sport and Touring:
Front Sway Bar 27.2 mm x 5.0T
Rear Sway Bar 16.5 mm

LX and EX:
Front Sway Bar 26.5mm x 5.0T
Rear Sway Bar 16.0 mm
I mean,how fast are you going that 'under-steer' is a problem?
Slowing down will help under-steer for free not to mention keeping your insurance rates low.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Going too fast has nothing to do with it. Its things like taking a cloverleaf on ramp at 40mph vs 30mph, small improvements that make driving better. Car handling better = safe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quick follow up question on upgrading the RSB. See lots of people talking about replacing the RSB, but very few comments about the rear links. Did a little searching and not finding an aftermarket option. So is there any benefit to changing the rear sway links when you change the RSB? Any good options out there?

·
Registered
2 Posts
A beefier Rear Sway Bar will help reduce understeer on the 10th gen. Upgrading only the rear sway bar, and not the front sway bar, may change handling characteristics.

The OEM specs for the 10th Gen Accord are:

Sport and Touring:
Front Sway Bar 27.2 mm x 5.0T
Rear Sway Bar 16.5 mm

LX and EX:
Front Sway Bar 26.5mm x 5.0T
Rear Sway Bar 16.0 mm
Any idea on what the torque specification for the sway bar nuts and bolts?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
28 ft/lbs

·
Registered
27 Posts
So a quick update on this, got the Progressive RSB in last week and found a place to install it. Had the work done today and it really made a noticeable difference in how the car handles. You can really feel how much flatter the car feels going around turns. That reduced body roll on the back half of the car really makes it feel a lot more stable, more planted when you take a turn, which obviously make the car feel much more secure when driving it.
Highly recommend spending the money on this if you drive in a spirited manner at all.

Great job Progressive!

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I recently installed the rear sway bar from progression and do like the flatter feel during cornering. I was surprised during the installed to see how flimsy the lower control arms were. I needed to change position under the car during the install and grabbed the control arm, it twisted with me barely grabbing it. I am concerned that the beefier sway bar could bend the lower control arm with some spirited driving.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Know what you mean, I did a little digging on the net and even asked in this thread if people knew of a beefier aftermarket option and came back empty :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I recently installed the rear sway bar from progression and do like the flatter feel during cornering. I was surprised during the installed to see how flimsy the lower control arms were. I needed to change position under the car during the install and grabbed the control arm, it twisted with me barely grabbing it. I am concerned that the beefier sway bar could bend the lower control arm with some spirited driving.
I know its been two months since you posted. I am not sure if you found some an upgraded control arm, but I found these by Mevotech.

Arm A, RR. (Lower)

Hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had done this upgrade to a Nissan Altima I owned and it improved things nicely- my main concern is adversely affecting ride quality. what does upgrading the RSB do to ride quality, mainly for highway driving?

·
8th Gen Believer
3,895 Posts
Are you talking about a harder ride? It doesn't affect that at all. As said many times in this thread, it reduces body roll, side-to-side body roll.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,895 Posts
No. It won't negatively affect that at all. I've had the Progress bar on my car for about 40k miles. Nothing but major improvements in handling and stability.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Tim,
In straight driving on the highway, you won't notice a thing as the RSB doesn't really affect the shocks and springs if the car is travelling in a straight line on smooth pavement. You will feel a little less "jiggle" in the rear if you go over some bumps / etc and should notice the car is steadier / more planted when you change lanes. This will be more noticeable, the faster / more aggressively you change lanes. RSB's are about controlling side to side weight transfer that is typically experienced as body roll. In this case, the fact that the RSB is weaker than the FSB means that the back of the car experiences more body roll than the front when turning. Since most of the weight is in the front of the car, this exaggerated roll in the back of the car makes it feel light / unsafe in sharp turns. The thicker / stronger RSB limits the weight transfer during cornering, keeping the body in a flatter / more controlled stance, which makes the care more stable and feel more "planted" during a turn.
I added the Progress bar to my 2.0 Touring back in the fall and couldn't be happier, it is a Christmas present that you will enjoy all year.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I suspect Honda passed this load via the firewall in new Accords and that it is not really needed.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Dont you feel that when you corner at higher speed it kind of rolls?
Please show me the engineer's analysis of how this strut will eliminate this "kind of rolls".

81 - 100 of 112 Posts