Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
2nd Accord
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently noticed, when I am driving on the highway, a slight delay in the power steering. It happens when I am going straight and making micro corrections to keep the car centered. It feels like when I make the correction; the steering wheel moves before the tires do. It happens if I am rotating to the left or right. It is very subtle, but it gives me the sense their is something wrong with the power steering. I usually notice it anywhere between 55-70mph. It doesn’t happen on local side streets at slower speeds. LKA is off. RDM is on but I am no where near the lane markings. I have a Hybrid. It happens in all modes, Sport, EV or Hybrid. I don’t recall feeling this for past 5 months that I have owned the car, but perhaps I missed it. I don’t know. I have a little under 12,000 miles on it. I rotated the tires at 10,000 miles. It happened before and after the rotation. I thought I would ask the forum if anyone else has experienced this. I did a search and can’t find anything on it. Let me know your thoughts please.

·
2nd Accord
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Sapphir8. That’s my next step. I am hoping to hear from others before I have time to do that.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I do know this. Hondas EPS (electric power steering) On its own without LKAS has built in programming to help and will make small corrections on its own for uneven pavement. Crown of the road and so on. I notice it most on the highways. Not sure if this what you are feeling or not but it does delay smooth out self steer whatever you want to call it on its own with no LKAS turned on. Its minimal but it is there.

Taken from Honda..

Straight Driving Assist
Straight Driving Assist is a new technology for Honda being applied first to the 2016 Accord. When cruise control is activated the system senses when the driver is applying steering force to maintain a straight course as a result of road conditions such as a canted or crowned surface, and automatically applies countervailing steering force that promotes self-alignment and thereby assists the driver in maintaining the vehicle's position in the lane, reducing the driver's work load.

This can cancel out small inputs from you. See if you feel the delay by driving without the cruise on.

·
2nd Accord
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do know this. Hondas EPS (electric power steering) On its own without LKAS has built in programming to help and will make small corrections on its own for uneven pavement. Crown of the road and so on. I notice it most on the highways. Not sure if this what you are feeling or not but it does delay smooth out self steer whatever you want to call it on its own with no LKAS turned on. Its minimal but it is there.

Taken from Honda..

Straight Driving Assist
Straight Driving Assist is a new technology for Honda being applied first to the 2016 Accord. When cruise control is activated the system senses when the driver is applying steering force to maintain a straight course as a result of road conditions such as a canted or crowned surface, and automatically applies countervailing steering force that promotes self-alignment and thereby assists the driver in maintaining the vehicle's position in the lane, reducing the driver's work load.

This can cancel out small inputs from you. See if you feel the delay by driving without the cruise on.
That’s very helpful. I will see if I notice a difference with and without cruise control.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've come to just recently notice this issue too. It started about a couple weeks ago. In fact I just did a search on this today for the first time, and this is the first thread I've seen on it. My Accord EX 1.5 has about 5,200 miles on it and I purchased it back in April. I do all city driving. The LKAS or Cruise control is NOT activated when it happens. It seems to be random and doesn't seem quite right. I'm concerned about this especially when the snow & Ice roll in here on the Michigan roads. I'm going to keep an eye on it and have it evaluated on my next scheduled maintenance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2.0 Sport 6spd. I have a problem with my steering as well. Mine doesn't feel delayed thought it feels more like it is sticking and you have to apply more pressure then normal. LKA off, Lane watch off. I first noticed it at about 14,000 miles. I haven't gone to the dealer yet because I'm trying to replicate it. I haven't tried without cruise yet thought.

·
2018 EXL 1.5 white nonav
239 Posts
When I first got my car (EXL 1.5) I thought there was something a little squirrely about the steering, that it wasn't holding a line the way I expected, and when it first automagically started tugging at the wheel, with or without LKA, it was pretty freaky. But either it got better or I got used to it, I guess. Now my complaint is the opposite, sometimes the car is tracking fine, and the robot beeps at me that it wants more input - for nothing!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have recently noticed, when I am driving on the highway, a slight delay in the power steering. It happens when I am going straight and making micro corrections to keep the car centered. It feels like when I make the correction; the steering wheel moves before the tires do. It happens if I am rotating to the left or right. It is very subtle, but it gives me the sense their is something wrong with the power steering. I usually notice it anywhere between 55-70mph. It doesn’t happen on local side streets at slower speeds. LKA is off. RDM is on but I am no where near the lane markings. I have a Hybrid. It happens in all modes, Sport, EV or Hybrid. I don’t recall feeling this for past 5 months that I have owned the car, but perhaps I missed it. I don’t know. I have a little under 12,000 miles on it. I rotated the tires at 10,000 miles. It happened before and after the rotation. I thought I would ask the forum if anyone else has experienced this. I did a search and can’t find anything on it. Let me know your thoughts please.
I have a Touring Hybrid also. My commute everyday includes 60 miles of highway driving. I have experienced the same thing. It feels like there is a notch in the steering when trying to keep it on center. It’s annoying as it seems like the car wants to track off-center so I’m constantly trying to keep it centered and feeling the notch. It does not happen at below highway speeds. I’ve had the car for three months. I noticed it at the second month of ownership. I’m planning on having the dealer check it out when I bring it in for it’s first service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I felt the same thing as soon as I bought the car. Try putting it in sport mode. I may be imagining things, but I feel like it stops behaving this way in sport mode.

·
2nd Accord
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I felt the same thing as soon as I bought the car. Try putting it in sport mode. I may be imagining things, but I feel like it stops behaving this way in sport mode.
I tried that. It happens in all modes. However some days it doesn’t happen at all. I thought maybe windyy days affected. That doesn’t seem to be the case. I will take it in when works slows down a little bit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have noticed this too. In fact I find this car requires more input more often to track straight and thus is more tiresome to drive than any of my recent vehicles. I’m not sure if it’s the tires or suspension setup but I even had an alignment and it’s not much better. I have owned vehicles that were super easy to drive on the highway and this just isn’t one of them.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have told people since two weeks into ownership of this thing that I feel the steering is the worst of any new/newer car I've driven in a very long time. To be more specific, the main issue is with crosswinds. It's fairly windy where I drive and this car requires constant steering corrections when the wind is hitting the car at an angle; many more than I would deem normal. It's very hard to predict and leaves the feeling of having to work way too hard just to keep it going straight-ish down the road. I say straight-ish because the car always tells me to 'take a break' when these events occur...as it must be perceiving all my steering corrections to be driver inattentiveness. It's actually so bad that it brings back memories of driving my old 1979 Dodge Ramcharger that was lifted 4" and on 35's (short wheelbase, lifted, leaf sprung, 70's technology).

I've thought for quite some time it might have something to do with a possible bad strut(s), as this car also has a lack of suspension damping on bumps and dips in the road when at highway speeds (unless in sport mode)...much more 'porpoising' than it should have. There have been reports of some bad struts with earlier builds, and mine is a 12/17 build date. (purchased new mid-May with 55 miles...a few more test drives than I wish it had for sure, but the price was right).

I really need to schedule an appointment at a dealer, but it's tough as I'm always working (out of town nearly half the month). Also need to get my front grille replaced as the chrome has bubbled in 12 spots.

I've never been so conflicted about a new car's positive/negative attributes before! I love the power and the way the transmission transmits the power, but have also been disappointed at the fuel economy (about 10% less than EPA highway...figured I'd see a bump up after installing 17" all-seasons as winter tires, but nothing has been gained...could be the poorer winter fuel coming into play there, plus the softer compound of these 17" tires). Love much of the technology (screens/interfaces/etc.), but feel many of the driving aids are either invasive or ineffective as well. Also really like the rear seat legroom and huge trunk, but have found the driver's seat to be the most uncomfortable I've sat in for long trips in the last 20 years. Also dislike the couple of squeaks/rattles and fluttering hood in a brand new car.

All in all, would not have purchased the car had I been able to glean the knowledge based on 7 months of ownership and 16,591 miles of driving beforehand...but that ship has sailed with the relatively large amount of miles on it and the hit I'd take getting rid of it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have told people since two weeks into ownership of this thing that I feel the steering is the worst of any new/newer car I've driven in a very long time. To be more specific, the main issue is with crosswinds. It's fairly windy where I drive and this car requires constant steering corrections when the wind is hitting the car at an angle; ...
If the conditions you describe occur on more than one route then wheel alignment/toe or, less likely, suspension issue are the most likely cause.
Otherwise, I've driven on poorly built or maintained highways that generate undulations or steering issues especially with crosswind or truck traffic.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm chiming in to mention that I just started noticing this same exact issue on my vehicle recently. I had never noticed it before, but after getting my first oil change (along with a tire rotation and getting the "recall" fixed) I noticed it almost immediately. It's SUPER annoying.

Has anyone with this issue successfully gotten it fixed yet?

·
2nd Accord
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm chiming in to mention that I just started noticing this same exact issue on my vehicle recently. I had never noticed it before, but after getting my first oil change (along with a tire rotation and getting the "recall" fixed) I noticed it almost immediately. It's SUPER annoying.

Has anyone with this issue successfully gotten it fixed yet?
I think I started noticing after the tires were rotated and the oil changed as well, but I am not 100% sure when it started. Could be the rotation. I had it done about a month ago. It seems to be going away as I have not noticed it in the past week or so.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think I started noticing after the tires were rotated and the oil changed as well, but I am not 100% sure when it started. Could be the rotation. I had it done about a month ago. It seems to be going away as I have not noticed it in the past week or so.
Mine was definitely right after I sent it in for that first service. I never noticed it before that, and I do 30-35 miles per day on the highway. The day after I received it, I noticed it. I do want to check my tire pressures to make sure that isn't the cause of the issue. I plan on checking them this week.

This is a really annoying issue, I'd love to get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can’t remeber exactly when mine started but it was around first oil change. While driving down the freeway mine feels very notchy, need to make very slight correction and put light pressure and feel resistance then all of the sudden the steering wheel moves maybe a quarter of an inch which then needs to be corrected back the other way. Dealers tech did say he felt it but that he feels it in other new cars. Freeway driving is a constant battle to keep the car going straight.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts