Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you. I went on the Hyannis Honda Care website to look up pricing. It doesn't show me any information other than this. How do I get actual pricing and I assume I don't need any of this until my 36k miles are approaching?

https://hyannishondacare.com/coverage-options/vehicle-service-contract.php?qqid=62168

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any information on how to cancel the warranty purchased at the dealer?
Just a quick update on this.

I overpaid on the Honda Care by a lot! Next to this the dealer said that I could only could get a good rate if I purchased the Honda Care Warranty. In any case I was dismayed by this when I found out that you could purchase the Honda Care online for half of what it cost at the dealer. Next to this making the warranty purchase a condition of your finance rate is a scam!

I called Honda Care what the procedure was for cancelling. They emailed me a form and I emailed it back even though it tells you to fax it. There were questions I could not answer but that was all fine, no reason to go back to the dealer to get anything done. Also no questions on why I wanted to cancel. In any case I just received my refund deducted on the principal of the loan amount. My rate, payments everything will stay the same. It just means I pay the car of earlier.

I am still planning on purchasing the Honda Care warranty online using one of the three listed for best price.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thank you. I went on the Hyannis Honda Care website to look up pricing. It doesn't show me any information other than this. How do I get actual pricing and I assume I don't need any of this until my 36k miles are approaching?

https://hyannishondacare.com/coverage-options/vehicle-service-contract.php?qqid=62168
As I stated in my previous post in this thread, I e-mailed Sean at Hyannis and quickly received a return mail that gave a chart of the Honda Care plans available and their pricing, good until the end of the month. I bought the C82 plan the following month, but the price was still the same. It was all very quick. I gave the credit card info, received an e-mail receipt, and about 10 days later got the policy and info packet from Honda. Pretty easy.

Reactions: 321825

·
Registered
38 Posts
Extended warranty

I’m looking into getting an extended warranty for my 2018 2.0 sport. I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has gotten one after they have already owned the vehicle. I am under the understanding that I can buy one from any dealer but that the prices can vary greatly. The main thing I want covered are the infotainment and the tranny which means I’ll need bumper to bumper I’m sure...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Looking for the longest coverage in years as I only drive about 9k miles/yr but tend to keep my cars several years. Too bad they don't offer an 8 year, 80k mile option for new cars. So the 8 year, 100k miles ($0 deduct.) coverage might be the best option for me. Saccucci offers that option for $1,140. The 7 year, 80k mile ($0 deduct.) option is $870 so that 8th year is costing me $270.

Other than locking in the cost now, I am questioning what is the benefit of buying Hondacare just after vehicle purchase (within first 6k miles) as opposed to waiting closer to the expiration of the factory 3/36 warranty. This is the first time I'm researching Hondacare and I got thrown for a loop that the proration of the warranty for refund purposes starts after 60 days from purchase. The last time I researched manufacturer's extended warranties was for Toyota and Mercedes and I think that you could get a full refund on those up until the expiration of the factory warranty (i.e. extension contract didn't kick in until factory expired). In that case, it made sense to lock in your price at vehicle purchase and if you changed your mind before the factory warranty expired then it only cost you lost interest on your money. But with Hondacare, if I buy the 8/100 coverage and replace the car or change my mind that the extended coverage is needed at the 3 year mark, I would only get a prorated refund of 5/8th's of my cost.

Since a new accord comes with 3/36 factory and roadside from Honda, what benefit does buying Hondacare now give me during the first 3/36 (other than locking in the price)?

For a comparison of buying now versus later, I requested pricing on a 2016 accord phev/hybrid with 34k miles from Saccucci. They offer a 5 year, 80k total miles ($0 deduct.) coverage for $900 (plus $100 surcharge). That 80k mileage coverage would be a better fit for my annual driving than the 100k plan. They also offered a 5 year, 100k coverage ($0 deduct.) coverage for $1,125 (plus $100 surcharge). Without reading the contracts, I don't know if the Hondacare you purchase when new (less than 6k miles) is better or the same as the Hondacare you can buy later before expiration of the factory warranty.

If the coverages are the same, then it may be better for me to keep my $1,140, earn some interest and then pay them $900 (plus $100) later at the then current price. Even if the cost is the same or a little more in the future, at least by then I've gotten a few years of history with the car, know if I am keeping it longer, and put myself in a better refund position over years 4 through 8.

What I am missing here?

·
Registered
69 Posts
My dealer wanted $980.00 for a 7yr/ 80k. They were not offering anything over that. I got them down to $880.00. I thought that was ok... Having a 8-10yr warranty would be best for me, I only put 5k per year on my car if that. :0

·
Registered
4 Posts
Based on my understanding and the information on the requested quote - 'Plans start on the day vehicle was first sold, and 0 miles'. So I do not think you can buy 5Year/80K at the 3Year mark and expect to get a total of 8 years. I am researching this same issue, so please let me know if you find out anything new.

Looking for the longest coverage in years as I only drive about 9k miles/yr but tend to keep my cars several years. Too bad they don't offer an 8 year, 80k mile option for new cars. So the 8 year, 100k miles ($0 deduct.) coverage might be the best option for me. Saccucci offers that option for $1,140. The 7 year, 80k mile ($0 deduct.) option is $870 so that 8th year is costing me $270.
.....d pricing on a 2016 accord phev/hybrid with 34k miles from Saccucci. They offer a 5 year, 80k total miles ($0 deduct.) coverage for $900 (plus $100 surcharge). That 80k mileage coverage would be a better fit for my annual driving than the 100k plan. They also offered a 5 year, 100k coverage ($0 deduct.) coverage for $1,125 (plus $100 surcharge). Without reading the contracts, I don't know if the Hondacare you purchase when new (less than 6k miles) is better or the same as the Hondacare you can buy later before expiration of the factory warranty.

If the coverages are the same, then it may be better for me to keep my $1,140, earn some interest and then pay them $900 (plus $100) later at the then current price. Even if the cost is the same or a little more in the future, at least by then I've gotten a few years of history with the car, know if I am keeping it longer, and put myself in a better refund position over years 4 through 8.

What I am missing here?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Based on my understanding and the information on the requested quote - 'Plans start on the day vehicle was first sold, and 0 miles'. So I do not think you can buy 5Year/80K at the 3Year mark and expect to get a total of 8 years. I am researching this same issue, so please let me know if you find out anything new.
That is what it says for the D and C plans they sell for new cars less than 6k miles from what I can tell. When on I requested pricing on a 2016 with 34k miles, they sent me quotes for G and F coded plans and their email included the following statement (note the difference in wording on start date). They even included an example in the following:

These plans start on contract purchase date(additional time), and 0 miles on odometer. Example: A G58 plan will expire 5 years from Honda/Acura Care contract purchase date, or when the odometer hits 80,000 miles. If the plan was purchased today, that would be five years from today.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks. Good to know that there is a difference.
Mine said: 'Plans for vehicles under 6,000 miles. Plans start on the day vehicle was first sold, and 0 miles.'
Edit: Spelling.

That is what it says for the D and C plans they sell for new cars less than 6k miles from what I can tell. When on I requested pricing on a 2016 with 34k miles, they sent me quotes for G and F coded plans and their email included the following statement (note the difference in wording on start date). They even included an example in the following:

These plans start on contract purchase date(additional time), and 0 miles on odometer. Example: A G58 plan will expire 5 years from Honda/Acura Care contract purchase date, or when the odometer hits 80,000 miles. If the plan was purchased today, that would be five years from today.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks. Good to know that their is a difference.
Mine said: 'Plans for vehicles under 6,000 miles. Plans start on the day vehicle was first sold, and 0 miles.'
Yup, the quote on my 2019 said the same thing and included plans coded with a D or C. For the fake 2016 the plans were coded with G or F. The subsequent two digits of each plan code denote the time and mileage. The first number is the contract length in years (either from vehicle or contract purchase) and the second number is a code for mileage (i.e. 8=80k, 0=100k, 2=120k). For the plans for cars greater than 6k mileage, Saccucci adds a surcharge as follows:
  • Vehicles with 12,001 miles up to 24,000 miles on odometer. Please add a $50 surcharge.
  • Vehicles with 24,001 miles up to 36,000 miles on odometer. Please add a $100 surcharge
Not sure if Hyannis or Curry add a surcharge. I wanted to get the question answered of what difference comes from buying now or later first before I finished comparing costs between the 3 dealers.

EDIT: I found this on the Curry FAQ about 'When is the best time to purchase?'
The best time to buy Honda Care is when your vehicle is still new and has less than 6,000 miles. This is when the longest terms are available and the best pricing is available to you.

You can purchase Honda Care as long as your Honda is a 2016 or newer and has less than 36,000 miles, but as you vehicle ages and you drive more miles, the plans available to you change and there are changes to the Honda Care pricing.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Since a new accord comes with 3/36 factory and roadside from Honda, what benefit does buying Hondacare now give me during the first 3/36 (other than locking in the price)?
1. Rental car reimbursement. The standard warranty does not pay for a rental. Many dealers provide loaners, but these are subject to availability and dealer participation. Many dealers provide loaners only if you purchased the vehicle from them which doesn't help if you're out of town.

2. Trip interruption benefit. If your car breaks down more than 100 miles from home, HondaCare provides up to $100 per day for three days for meals and lodging.

3. Concierge services including:

• Emergency Cash Advance
• Emergency Airline Ticket Assistance
• Shipment of Personal Replacement Items
• Insurance-Claim Assistance
• Auto Glass Replacement Referral

As an aside, you can also finance HondaCare at 0%.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Just got off the phone with Hyannis and they confirmed what I had been reading online. I can buy Hondacare later after 6k miles and it is exactly the same coverage as buying now, except for the changes in pricing and surcharges with additional mileage. Hyannis also charges mileage surcharges like Saccucci at 12k and then at 24k miles so maybe this is the same for all dealers if you wait and buy later.

I asked if they have an 8 year, 80k mile option for new cars and he said they only have the 100k and 120k options for the 8 year term, but he confirmed that if I waited 3 years I can get the 5 year, 80k option and have the car covered for essentially 8y/80k. I asked the guy straight up why would I buy now instead of waiting and he said lock in the price and peace of mind/not forgetting to do it later. He did not mention any other benefits (but there are some in the above post).

So using the pricing from Saccucci, my options are as follows for 8 years of coverage at my annual rate of driving of less than 10k miles:
  • Buy now - 8y/100k coverage (D80) for $1,190. This option has a refund value (before admin fee) of ~$745 after year 3 and goes down by ~$150 a year after that.
  • Buy 3 years later - 5y, 80k coverage (G58) for $1,000 ($900 plus $100 surcharge for >24k miles). Assuming a 10% price increase over 3 years based on reading old prices shared online, let's say it will cost me $1,100 later on. The refund value (before admin fee and excluding the surcharge assuming that's a loss) is ~$200 per year. So the refund position will always be better with this option over years 4-8.
Seems like it might be better for me to wait based on my annual driving. At least that's my first impression - it gives me more time to decide on keeping the car without losing $150/yr on Hondacare and has a better refund position later in the car's life. However, this situation will be different for everyone depending on how much you drive, need to finance Hondacare with purchase, etc.

1. Rental car reimbursement. The standard warranty does not pay for a rental. Many dealers provide loaners, but these are subject to availability and dealer participation. Many dealers provide loaners only if you purchased the vehicle from them which doesn't help if you're out of town.

2. Trip interruption benefit. If your car breaks down more than 100 miles from home, HondaCare provides up to $100 per day for three days for meals and lodging.

3. Concierge services including:

• Emergency Cash Advance
• Emergency Airline Ticket Assistance
• Shipment of Personal Replacement Items
• Insurance-Claim Assistance
• Auto Glass Replacement Referral

As an aside, you can also finance HondaCare at 0%.
Appreciate the info. In my experience, I haven't needed such benefits but you never know. It's just hard to swallow that you're getting full value in those first 3 years for the refund to be prorated like it is.

·
Registered
43 Posts
For anyone that lives in California or Florida, have you had any issues with Honda honoring the hondacare that you bought online?

I've read that I can just put a different address down when buying it online, since Hondacare only follows the VIN, but I have also read that some people question whether honda will honor it or not, or be able to deny if they end up looking into it.

Would really like to get Hondacare but not at the prices the dealers near me are offering. First quote I got was $1,440 for 6 year/80k $0 deductible. Sucks when I see you can get 8 years/120k $0 deductible for $1,140 online.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Even though I calculated that it would be better for me to wait to buy Honda Care (in this post 8 months ago) until closer to the end of the 3y/36k factory warranty (based on contract options, pricing and refund provisions), I thought I would revisit pricing again before I hit 6k miles in a few weeks just in case the inputs changed signficantly. After 6k miles, you can no longer get the Honda Care C and D plans and only the G and F plans are available for your Honda. So I requested updated quotes from Hyannis and much to my surprise it appears the pricing is actually unchanged from 8 months ago on the D80 plan I was considering. Even better, the pricing on the G58 plan appears to have gone down by $50. And yes I checked to make sure the mileage surcharges were included projecting that I would have over 24k miles by the time 3 years rolls around. So I still plan to wait until just before the 3 year mark.

·
HK Moderator
14,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
And yes I checked to make sure the mileage surcharges were included projecting that I would have over 24k miles by the time 3 years rolls around. So I still plan to wait until just before the 3 year mark.
You sir, are one thorough man.

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid
5 Posts
I will be going in to sign all the papers today. I put allot of miles on my car due to long commute. Any advise on the extended warranty the dealer will offer?
Price? With all this tech I am a bit nervous. I am a noob here. I did search and see some folks are getting LOTS of miles on their cars!
Thank you

·
Registered
197 Posts
I will be going in to sign all the papers today. I put allot of miles on my car due to long commute. Any advise on the extended warranty the dealer will offer?
Price? With all this tech I am a bit nervous. I am a noob here. I did search and see some folks are getting LOTS of miles on their cars!
Thank you
1. Compare the standard warranty for the hybrid components with the lengths and terms of the extended warranty. When I bought my Camry Hybrid in 2007, the Toyota dealer warned me about how "costly" the hybrid system was to repair- and pushed hard for me to purchase an 8 year extended warranty to "protect me" from expensive repairs. I laughed because at the time, the factory Toyota warranty on the hybrid components was already eight years/100,000 miles. Just as a point of reference... that hybrid Camry is still in my driveway 13.5 years and 180,000 miles later- and has yet to have a single part fail other than a water pump that was covered under the standard warranty.

2. As many have mentioned here- contact the three dealers listed in this thread to get pricing on the Hondacare warranty you want. You can get a ball-park figure in several of the posts, and that will guide your discussion/negotiation with your local dealer. As long as you don't live in one of the states listed, it doesn't matter where you buy your Hondacare warranty from in the United States- so just find the one that will be the lowest cost. Odds are, your local dealer won't match the much lower prices offered by the three dealers mentioned in this thread- but they might be convinced if you do your homework and bring in proof of the prices. Extended warranties are extremely profitable for dealers- so they might be convinced that a little profit is better than not making a sale on a warranty at all.

3. You say that you put a lot of miles on your car. You have to determine if any extended warranty makes sense for you. Also understand that you have the option to buy the warranty up until 3 years or 36,000 miles- whichever comes first. Lots of people are enjoying a completely trouble-free experience with their Accords... but you are right- there are a lot of expensive electronics in our cars. Also make sure you look into what is 'covered' and 'not covered' by the Hondacare warranty. Wear and tear items are not generally covered.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts