Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

641 - 660 of 721 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Update: First, I did do the pocket door, but wasn't comfortable taking it apart. So I did it in place: View attachment 518369
I still wasn't happy with the job I did; for example, I cut to much around the lower set of buttons, so instead of covering all the plastic, I ended up cutting back to the flat part. Plus, the color was way off. While half-heartedly looking for other brands or vendors, I tripped across a much better color of the same VViViD product. The plus side was the price: for some reason, the 1ftx4ft was $11, but the 1.5ftx4ft was only $9 (this may be too small, and I'll have to either put the grain the other direction or add seems up the sides). There was a similar price reversal in the 2ftx4ft ($25) and 3ftx4ft ($20) sizes, but I didn't want to spend that much for a replacement.

I didn't see this price reversal in other colors, so I ordered it. I figured that for $9, I couldn't go wrong. The color is VViViD Dark Ebony Wood Grain Faux Finish Textured Vinyl, sold directly from VViViD vinyl on Amazon Prime. Here's what it looks like compared to the door trim: View attachment 518371

They actually look much closer than this in the garage; I think the brown in the vinyl sheet catches the straight-on light better. I'll have to see how the contrast changes in daylight. The biggest difference I see is that the black is far more prominent than the brown in the OEM plastic, and that reverses in the vinyl. Also note how this vinyl has a "texture" look like the OEM has, but the vinyl I used before doesn't.
I really like the look of that. I have noticed the area around the cupholder can scratch easily and was wondering about a cover in the future. How durable is the product?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I really like the look of that. I have noticed the area around the cupholder can scratch easily and was wondering about a cover in the future. How durable is the product?
It's claimed to last 5 (exterior) to 10 (interior) years. I couldn't scratch it with fingernails, I got almost-invisible scratches with the back side of the scissors blade under moderate pressure, and significant scratches (not cuts) with the sharp side. Similar products are used instead of painting the car; so it is supposed to handle wear.

Like I said, this an experiment, and not a very expensive for small areas. This particular line of vinyl is intended for cabinets and such.That primarily means it isn't as flexible; you need to use a heat gun to get it to conform to bends, and a new knife for cutting. I'm not that good at it, as you can see at the bottom end in the storage area. I'm hoping the practice will help. But it also will peal off easily (again, with heat), which is one of the advantages of vinyl.

The manufacturer says:
VViViD Vinyl’s NEW Architectural Wood Grain Films give you the ease and flexibility to add your own unique style to your bedroom, living room, kitchen, office, furniture, etc. Our vinyl is easy to use, stylish and, above all else, an affordable alternative to paint. Great for architectural applications, indoors and out. This high-quality, outdoor grade vinyl is scratch, grime, water and UV resistant with Air-Release, Slideable, No-Mess adhesive for easier application and simpler removal. Lasts 10 years on interiors and 5-7 years on exterior surfaces and is ready to use right out of the package! Tools needed: Bladed Utility knife & plastic squeegee (not included)​
I do have a plastic squeegee, but for small areas you might get away with something like a firm credit card. Or even just a finger.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So far added the hands-free Hydraulic trunk bars (shout out to Honda Jon) and it took a bit (passenger side has no entry way like the driver side.) In any event, I was able to get it through. Took about 45 minutes or so to complete the project. Really like it. Just have to really push down on the trunk to close it but not a big deal. Looking to black out the chrome around the windows. Already bought the vinyl tape and will do that when the weather gets warmer here in upstate NY. Will be also replacing the stock high beam bulbs with LED bulbs. Finally will get rim protectors as I scuffed my '13 rims pretty good.

·
Registered
174 Posts
So far added the hands-free Hydraulic trunk bars (shout out to Honda Jon) and it took a bit (passenger side has no entry way like the driver side.) In any event, I was able to get it through. Took about 45 minutes or so to complete the project. Really like it. Just have to really push down on the trunk to close it but not a big deal. Looking to black out the chrome around the windows. Already bought the vinyl tape and will do that when the weather gets warmer here in upstate NY. Will be also replacing the stock high beam bulbs with LED bulbs. Finally will get rim protectors as I scuffed my '13 rims pretty good.
When you replace your high beam bulbs with LED's would you mind giving your opinion and your experience with the new bulbs vs the old OE bulbs. As in, does on-coming traffic "flash" you to dim your lights? I changed the back up bulbs to LED and was pleased with how bright they are. So, I became curious about other lights and watched videos of brake lights, turn signal lights and headlight (brights) LED replacements. When I watch DIY videos about switching to LED's I read comments about how the new bulbs look in terms of aesthetics but nothing about being too bright to on-coming traffic.

Some drivers complain about LED brake lights and turn signals as being too bright. Which I take as a good thing. Brake lights and turn signals are meant to get the attention of other drivers :).

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm guessing oncoming traffic will flash with any high beams on regardless of whether they are LED or not.
In 'auto' setting the bright lights come on with oncoming traffic in sight, and, to my surprise, I've never been 'flashed' in the time when the brights come on and the auto setting dims them - and the thing that keeps me on the fence as far as changing bulbs is I've never thought the bright lights were not adequate. I can see fine with the OE bulbs...hate to admit it, but it is the aesthetics of the "yellow" quality of the OE bulbs vs the bright white look of the LED's.

·
Registered
966 Posts
In 'auto' setting the bright lights come on with oncoming traffic in sight, and, to my surprise, I've never been 'flashed' in the time when the brights come on and the auto setting dims them - and the thing that keeps me on the fence as far as changing bulbs is I've never thought the bright lights were not adequate. I can see fine with the OE bulbs...hate to admit it, but it is the aesthetics of the "yellow" quality of the OE bulbs vs the bright white look of the LED's.
Gotcha. The LED high-beams will add some glare for sure. The IIHS doesn't care for them, and rates the regular halogen high-beams higher (Acceptable v. Marginal).

That said, I have the LED high-beams, and they're great for visibility. I suspect an aftermarket solution wouldn't perform the same as the OEM LED high-beams, though.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Gotcha. The LED high-beams will add some glare for sure. The IIHS doesn't care for them, and rates the regular halogen high-beams higher (Acceptable v. Marginal).

That said, I have the LED high-beams, and they're great for visibility. I suspect an aftermarket solution wouldn't perform the same as the OEM LED high-beams, though.
...I appreciate your comments. Thank you.

·
2018 LX
120 Posts
When you replace your high beam bulbs with LED's would you mind giving your opinion and your experience with the new bulbs vs the old OE bulbs. As in, does on-coming traffic "flash" you to dim your lights? I changed the back up bulbs to LED and was pleased with how bright they are. So, I became curious about other lights and watched videos of brake lights, turn signal lights and headlight (brights) LED replacements. When I watch DIY videos about switching to LED's I read comments about how the new bulbs look in terms of aesthetics but nothing about being too bright to on-coming traffic.

Some drivers complain about LED brake lights and turn signals as being too bright. Which I take as a good thing. Brake lights and turn signals are meant to get the attention of other drivers :).
I replaced my LX high beams with LEDs with the same color as the low beams. I leave my lights on auto all the time and have never had a flash back from other drivers. Vision is better with the LED high beams for sure. As far as I can tell you lose a little distance dead center, but pick up a more distance on the sides of the high beams pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
I replaced my LX high beams with LEDs with the same color as the low beams. I leave my lights on auto all the time and have never had a flash back from other drivers. Vision is better with the LED high beams for sure. As far as I can tell you lose a little distance dead center, but pick up a more distance on the sides of the high beams pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. Very helpful comment. I'm off the fence and will buy the LED's...:)

I bought a 2003 Z4 new and got xenon headlights. A $1,200 option, and I really liked those headlights. Then I bought a new 2006 X3 with xenon's. I had a bunch of money tied up in headlights!

The punch line to the xenon joke is that BMW used a vegetable (soy) based insulation on those bulb's wiring and that cheap insulation became so fragile over time that it was impossible to handle without ruining the wires. When a bulb began to show signs of coming to the end of its useful life it was almost impossible for a DIYer to do the job themselves, and, if I remember correctly it was around $700 per bulb to replace and fix. And, of course, you couldn't just replace one bulb because the new one would look nice and bright and the old one looked old and blue.

Honda's are way better!

·
Registered
73 Posts
So I installed these window visors. Not too sure if I like them yet after first glance. But im gonna keep them on for a bit
windows2.JPG
windows1.JPG

·
Registered
73 Posts
Got them off amazon.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I added the remote start feature to my car today by having a locksmith come out and program my remote start key that I purchased on eBay. I also made some all weather mats for the front of the car which are really just mat savers for the factory mats because where I live we do not get snow or ice. I bought two indoor/outdoor mats at the home store and cut them out to match my factory mats and then just place them on top of the factory mats but they look great.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wired up some LEDs in my trunk. Two on the ceiling between the speakers, one to each side just below the weather strip. Then I wired two inside the light fixture in place of the incandescent lamp.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Did my first oil change since owning the car. Wasnt hard at all.

641 - 660 of 721 Posts