Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1961 - 1980 of 2027 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
$29,400 trade value for the 2020 Sport is amazing. I paid $27,889 for the new 2021 Sport SE last March.

But don't you get tired of paying for cars? Must be a nice Lexus.
Wow, they couldn’t do an even $27,800. Trying to squeeze every dollar out of people. Jeez. Yeah, I’m tired. I was also buying classic cars and building lowriders in between having Honda’s, Toyota’s and a truck. I don’t want to think about how much money I’ve lost selling cars less than what I paid. But then I guess it’s not too much of a loss when you had fun, right? I’m trying to focus on other things financially, like buying properties, instead of continuing to take losses on cars. That will take some time. But continuing to buy cars will definitely slow the process. That’s why I plan on keeping this car for a long time. Like 20 years or more if possible. With that being the case, I figure I might as well get what I want. I’m gonna miss the gas mileage on the 1.5 but the Lexus is what I really want. The dealership said the car will be here between now and the 22nd. I haven’t signed anything yet. I want to inspect the car and take it for a long test drive before I do any of that. Yeah, it’s nice. It’s basically fully loaded and has all but a couple of minor options. If I get the car I’ll post a list of the options. Don’t wanna get too excited, if ya know what I mean.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Once they went under $28k I was just like that's good enough for me. Somehow I have a feeling you're not going to keep the Lexus for 20 years, lol.
lol I at least hope I’ll have the self control to do so. You hear these people keeping cars until they die at like 330K or something. I’ve always wanted to do something like that. Ya know, get bang for your buck like they say. but if I did do something like that I would buy a second car when it got to at least 180-200K so I can have a reliable car for important trips and those times when a break down is the last thing you need.
I’m not materialistic in a general sense. I’m actually very frugal. I wear plain, no logo t shirts every where I go unless I’m going somewhere important or to like a gathering or party. Cars are just my weakness. I’m backwards. I have self control with the cheap stuff but my weakness is an expensive habit. (Mainly talking about classic cars) 😬

·
Registered
295 Posts
Had a flat fixed. Went to get gas yesterday and the TPMS came on. I was able to visually see which tire it was. Drove slowly to a nearby station that had an air hose. Tire was at 8 lb. psi. Filled it to 35 , drove the short distance home and parked it, was already down to 33. Since it was Easter, left it and scheduled for a Firestone Direct truck for tire repair this morning. Pressure went down to 30 overnight. Truck arrived, there was a construction screw (with washer) right in the tread. The tech removed it, patched the tire from the inside, remounted the tire and rebalanced it. Even used a torque wrench on the lug nuts to make sure they were to spec. Checked my oil and filled my window washer to boot. All by 10 AM.
Very impressed and will worth the $50 charge. The tech wouldn't even take a tip, when I offered one.
Just an FYI but Discount Tire does the same thing for free, even if you didn't buy the tires from them. They patch them from the inside as well.

·
CVtwo
‘21 Sport 2.0T
67 Posts
Last day before the winter wheels finally come off for the hot months

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Car

Reactions: Samuelx

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I traded it in.

As much as I loved my Accord, I was getting frustrated with my local dealer's refusal to address the pretty bad brake noise issue that's been plaguing the car the the past six months. The car would squeal horribly in reverse whenever the car was cold and backed out of my driveway or after sitting at work for eight hours. I'm not talking about a slight squeaking noise... I'm talking about squeaking/squealing so bad that you can hear it from a block away. My neighbors have commented about it- my coworkers have commented about it- but the dealer seemed rather indifferent about it. I complained and took it in a bunch of different times- and multiple dealers refused to fix it... claiming that either it was normal noise (yeah, right) or that they couldn't reproduce the noise. I've even left the car to sit over night on their lot- so their techs could hear the noise after letting it sit overnight. They claimed not to hear it. I even took videos of it- and they claimed that it didn't make noise when they drove it. I even commented to Honda corporate... who said that if the local dealer couldn't replicate the issue they couldn't authorize a warranty repair. I even mentioned the information that I've learned here about the similar issues that some others have experienced... and they were still unwilling to fix it.

In addition, it seems like the overall quality of my 2021 was worse than the quality of my 2019 and 2016 Accords. Interior bits didn't fit tightly, the transmission wasn't as smooth, and overall it just didn't give me a good impression that it would last for 150,000+ miles like my older Accords did. When I took the Accord on my annual trip up north, the transmission seemed to get very confused at highway speeds with lots of hills... especially with cruse control activated. It also seemed to have a lot more road/tire noise compared to my 2019 Accord... and I'm deaf in one ear... which made in-cabin conversations difficult on the highway. My kid in the back seat would always get frustrated because he'd have to repeat himself because I didn't hear him clearly.

What sealed the deal was the fact that my Accord was worth about $2000 more as a trade-in compared to what I paid for it last year. Local Honda dealers only have HRVs and top-end Passports and Pilots on the lot- none of which I particularly like. On Thursday I stopped by my local Toyota dealer to inquire about a new 2022 Camry XSE V6 that they had on the lot. Unfortunately, despite the fact that it was front and center on the lot... it had sold a few days before. (So why was it still in the front row?). The dealer walked around the lot with me a bit and showed me what they did have available. I sat in a 2022 Avalon Limited and loved it- other than it's pretty dismal infotainment system (which impacts all Toyotas)... but worse was the fact that I hit my head each and every time I got in/out of it... which was a deal-breaker.

We passed by a Highlander and he suggested that I sit in it.. which I did. I'm generally not an SUV lover... but gave it a try. My wife recently purchased a Passport and while she loves it- I'm not generally a fan because it drives like a school bus and isn't fun or pleasant to drive... at all. I found the Highlander pretty nice inside. The dealer suggested that I take it on an extended test drive... which I did. The more I drove it, the more I liked it. Despite being physically larger in most measurements compared to my wife's Passport, it drives smaller than it is. It sits a bit closer to the ground than the Passport- and is more car-like in most ways. Plus, it has Toyota's legendary 3.5L V6, which is something that I've wanted for years. After a few hours with it- I was sold. Luckily, unlike my wife's Passport, the Highlander fits in our garage. The Passport is too tall due to its shark fin antenna. The Highlander has one too- but it still fits, as it's overall height is about four inches shorter.

I was fortunate enough to get $2000 more for my 2021 Touring as a trade-in compared to what I paid for it last year- and I was able to get the Highlander without any dealer markups or forced accessories. I will miss some of my Touring's nice features- like ventilated seats and heated steering wheel (which are only available in the top trim levels of the Highlander- mostly versions that are $50k+)... overall the Highlander is a pretty nice vehicle. It still suffers from Toyota's horrible infotainment system though. I'm generally an Apple CarPlay user though- so that will minimize the problem.

I want to thank everyone here that's guided me through my 2016, 2019, and 2021 Accords though. I plan on sticking around though... as I still really love Accords... I just got one with bad brakes and have some pretty lousy local dealers.

Now I just have to get rid of the extra stuff that I have laying around for my Accord.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Grille

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

I've crossed to the dark side of the automotive world... SUV land.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I traded it in.

As much as I loved my Accord, I was getting frustrated with my local dealer's refusal to address the pretty bad brake noise issue that's been plaguing the car the the past six months. The car would squeal horribly in reverse whenever the car was cold and backed out of my driveway or after sitting at work for eight hours. I'm not talking about a slight squeaking noise... I'm talking about squeaking/squealing so bad that you can hear it from a block away. My neighbors have commented about it- my coworkers have commented about it- but the dealer seemed rather indifferent about it. I complained and took it in a bunch of different times- and multiple dealers refused to fix it... claiming that either it was normal noise (yeah, right) or that they couldn't reproduce the noise. I've even left the car to sit over night on their lot- so their techs could hear the noise after letting it sit overnight. They claimed not to hear it. I even took videos of it- and they claimed that it didn't make noise when they drove it. I even commented to Honda corporate... who said that if the local dealer couldn't replicate the issue they couldn't authorize a warranty repair. I even mentioned the information that I've learned here about the similar issues that some others have experienced... and they were still unwilling to fix it.

In addition, it seems like the overall quality of my 2021 was worse than the quality of my 2019 and 2016 Accords. Interior bits didn't fit tightly, the transmission wasn't as smooth, and overall it just didn't give me a good impression that it would last for 150,000+ miles like my older Accords did. When I took the Accord on my annual trip up north, the transmission seemed to get very confused at highway speeds with lots of hills... especially with cruse control activated. It also seemed to have a lot more road/tire noise compared to my 2019 Accord... and I'm deaf in one ear... which made in-cabin conversations difficult on the highway. My kid in the back seat would always get frustrated because he'd have to repeat himself because I didn't hear him clearly.

What sealed the deal was the fact that my Accord was worth about $2000 more as a trade-in compared to what I paid for it last year. Local Honda dealers only have HRVs and top-end Passports and Pilots on the lot- none of which I particularly like. On Thursday I stopped by my local Toyota dealer to inquire about a new 2022 Camry XSE V6 that they had on the lot. Unfortunately, despite the fact that it was front and center on the lot... it had sold a few days before. (So why was it still in the front row?). The dealer walked around the lot with me a bit and showed me what they did have available. I sat in a 2022 Avalon Limited and loved it- other than it's pretty dismal infotainment system (which impacts all Toyotas)... but worse was the fact that I hit my head each and every time I got in/out of it... which was a deal-breaker.

We passed by a Highlander and he suggested that I sit in it.. which I did. I'm generally not an SUV lover... but gave it a try. My wife recently purchased a Passport and while she loves it- I'm not generally a fan because it drives like a school bus and isn't fun or pleasant to drive... at all. I found the Highlander pretty nice inside. The dealer suggested that I take it on an extended test drive... which I did. The more I drove it, the more I liked it. Despite being physically larger in most measurements compared to my wife's Passport, it drives smaller than it is. It sits a bit closer to the ground than the Passport- and is more car-like in most ways. Plus, it has Toyota's legendary 3.5L V6, which is something that I've wanted for years. After a few hours with it- I was sold. Luckily, unlike my wife's Passport, the Highlander fits in our garage. The Passport is too tall due to its shark fin antenna. The Highlander has one too- but it still fits, as it's overall height is about four inches shorter.

I was fortunate enough to get $2000 more for my 2021 Touring as a trade-in compared to what I paid for it last year- and I was able to get the Highlander without any dealer markups or forced accessories. I will miss some of my Touring's nice features- like ventilated seats and heated steering wheel (which are only available in the top trim levels of the Highlander- mostly versions that are $50k+)... overall the Highlander is a pretty nice vehicle. It still suffers from Toyota's horrible infotainment system though. I'm generally an Apple CarPlay user though- so that will minimize the problem.

I want to thank everyone here that's guided me through my 2016, 2019, and 2021 Accords though. I plan on sticking around though... as I still really love Accords... I just got one with bad brakes and have some pretty lousy local dealers.

Now I just have to get rid of the extra stuff that I have laying around for my Accord.

View attachment 540143
View attachment 540142

Congrats! You made the right decision because now is the time to trade in with the market being the way it is. I like that color. I like how a lot of Toyota vehicles still have naturally aspirated engines because they last a whole lot longer than turbo charged ones that are under a lot of pressure. I’d rather have a V6 over a 2.0. I like the idea of a lot of power being evenly distributed across 6 cylinders vs a 4 cylinder engine under a lot of pressure. Enjoy your new ride!

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
1,427 Posts
I traded it in.

View attachment 540143
View attachment 540142

Looks really sharp in the red, congrats!

My dad has a Highlander (2019), he's 60 and he says it's his favorite car he's ever owned. It's in the shop right now for accident repairs after somebody ran a stop sign and T-boned him, and every day we get to hear about how great it is, and how much he misses it. On that note, he walked away with just hand pains, so you can rest assured that they are very safe vehicles as well.

I'm sure you'll love it!

·
Registered
2019 Platinum Pearl White 2.0 Sport 6MT
293 Posts
Pretty sure you've guided folks on this board more than anyone (at least for the 10th gen board). Sucks about the dealer, but congrats on the new ride. You're going from the #2 most reliable brand to the #1 most reliable brand, so can't be a bad move.

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
766 Posts
I carry a lot of gear/crap on a daily basis and I've missed my 03 Pilot on quite a few occasions... If they ever put a 10AT Type S Turbo V6 in one, I might have to go back to an SUV... :)

·
Honda Newb
219 Posts
That's cool you got the v6 but I would never be a SUV guy unless I absolutely needed the space. Or maybe AWD in snow. The Accord Sport will run circles around a Highlander. The Highlander weighs 950 lbs more than the Accord 1.5.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Congrats on making some $ on the Accord and enjoy the new Highlander

shame on those Honda dealers
They are pretty awful and do pretty much anything and everything to avoid performing a warranty repair- which is fine if your car is made well and doesn't have problems (like my 2016 and 2019 Accords). They have been awful with my 2021 Accord and my wife's 2021 Passport- which has weird electrical issues that never seem to happen when they have the car- but happen on a regular basis when my wife and I drive it.

Unfortunately, the trade-in value of her 2021 Passport isn't high enough to make it worth it to trade right now. Passport don't hold their value nearly as much as other SUVs or even the Accord. I'll let the dealer take a few more stabs at it this summer- when it's not so hard to be without her car... if they don't fix it... then we'll likely bite the bullet and just take a loss and sell it before the 3yr/36k mile warranty expires. Right now the issue is just annoying- it doesn't make it unreliable. There's two issues- that seem to be well-documented online (but the dealer still denies that anything is wrong). First, the car often doesn't register that your foot is on the brake when you try and start it when it's cold. Sometimes it takes 2-3 times of cycling through the ignition sequence to get it to start when it's below freezing. It just flashes a warning that you need to put your foot on the brake to start... even when your foot is pressing on it pretty hard. The second issue is that when the car is not fully warmed up, the car will yell at you when you push the 'park' button on the gear shifter and flash a message that you need to put your foot on the brake when shifting to park. It's likely being caused by the same issue as the first thing. It's super annoying- but it hasn't left us stranded yet.

My first two Hondas were pretty bulletproof in terms of reliability and build quality... the last two... not so much.

Pretty sure you've guided folks on this board more than anyone (at least for the 10th gen board). Sucks about the dealer, but congrats on the new ride. You're going from the #2 most reliable brand to the #1 most reliable brand, so can't be a bad move.
Thanks- I appreciate it. I still love Accords- mine was just a bad egg. It happens when you mass produce cars. I still plan on sticking around- and am actually excited to see if Honda will completely overhaul the Accord for 2023.

I hope that my Highlander will be reliable. My previous Toyotas have been pretty bullet-proof.... I hope that the Highlander will follow in those footsteps.

I carry a lot of gear/crap on a daily basis and I've missed my 03 Pilot on quite a few occasions... If they ever put a 10AT Type S Turbo V6 in one, I might have to go back to an SUV... :)
So an MDX Type-S? It can be yours for the low-low price of $68,000... if you can find one.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
That's cool you got the v6 but I would never be a SUV guy unless I absolutely needed the space. Or maybe AWD in snow. The Accord Sport will run circles around a Highlander. The Highlander weighs 950 lbs more than the Accord 1.5.
Oh, absolutely. The Highlander doesn't even compare to the Accord Sport in terms of fun-to-drive or speed... especially an Accord Sport with the 2.0t engine. My 2021 Touring never felt as nimble or quick as my 2019 Accord Sport 2.0t that I had before it. Don't get me wrong- a base Accord LX would likely be more fun to drive than a Highlander... but a mainstream SUV is never going to handle as well as a mid-size sedan from the same company- generally speaking... and they aren't designed to. They are designed to haul kids, pets, and stuff.

I've never been an SUV-guy... until my wife got her 2021 Passport. At first I really hated driving it- but over the past few months I've grown to appreciate its utility, space, and higher driving position. Being a home owner with dogs makes an SUV more attractive. I was finding that I was 'borrowing' my wife's Passport on weekends to take my dogs places or to do Home Depot runs. Her Passport might not be the ideal vehicle in terms of reliability- but in terms of utility it's quite nice. The Highlander is even nicer because while the Passport seems to be more truck-like in terms of driving position and handling, the Highlander drives a bit more like a car. They are both unibody designs- but the Highlander is much more car-like than the Passport.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Sorry about your Accord but it's tough to get stuff fixed without a TSB or something being completely broken. Best of luck with the Highlander. It should require little maintenance and most importantly, no timing belt or VCM. I think you will find a void in performance and fun to drive factor though. It's narrower than the Passport which helps for garage use.

The problem you mentioned with the stiff brake pedal on startup is a know issue that dealers refuse to fix, but it's an easy fix with the replacement of a check valve at your expense of course. Yet another example of a manufacturer essentially saying that a known problem is normal

Have you heard of the Car Care Nut Youtube channel? If you want to get up to speed on Toyota's (if you're not already) he's got everything you need to know.

I've gone the Toyota route 3 RAV4's since last summer, really liking these hybrids I'm all in so its a gamble but so far so good.

I like my Passport but it's slow, heavy and a guzzler but like you said, it doesn't hold its value. Looking to trade it in for a Highlander not sure if gas or hybrid or possibly a RAV4 Prime.

·
Registered
2021 Accord Touring Hybrid
77 Posts
Just an FYI but Discount Tire does the same thing for free, even if you didn't buy the tires from them. They patch them from the inside as well.
I really did not want to drive the car and risk ruining the tire further, so the at home repair was worth the cost to me.

Reactions: 2012AccordATL
1961 - 1980 of 2027 Posts